Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egging in Screen Porch

New egger here.  Getting a LBGE for Christmas and have been stalking this forum for weeks now - love everything I've seen so far.  I did a quick search for people who egg in their screened in porch and the general consensus is you can, but do so with caution.  I live in the mountains of NC and flat space is limited, and right now all I have is a 10x12 deck that is screened in. The table I have for it will have legs to move around the porch with - the idea being to pull it away from the screening.

Just wanted to double check with the group that I should be good to go.  Will have a fire extinguisher at the ready, but I'm not against building off the porch just for my egg...

Anyway, thanks for the help - will likely be doing a Boston butt for inaugural cook and that can't come fast enough!

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    edited December 2014
    First and foremost, welcome. Two things come to mind

1. How's the ventilation? Ceiling fans, box fan...

2. I would worry about smoke stains on the ceiling over the long haul.

personally I would looking an egging porch.
  • Ventilation is good, we have a lot of wind coming through as is.  there is a ceiling fan about 9-10 ft above the floor. 

As far as the smoke goes, that is my only big time concern, that and smoke being blown back in the house when the kids go in and out. 

Long term I want to build around the egg, just need a home for it to get started.

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Only issues I can see is smoke discoloration on ceiling over time and smoke shortening the life of screen.  

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • My concern would be sparks in the enclosed area. We also have eggs on back porch ( not screened). The porch is a combination of stone and Hardy Board. We too have lots of wind and there has not been any smoke stain on the either the stone or Hardy Board.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Staffman, welcome!

I used to have my egg on a wooden deck. Then I started hearing stories and seeing pictures of what can happen. My egg isn't on a wooden deck any more. I know of three guys on here who have lost their homes to fire. Yet folks keep putting eggs on wooden decks that are attached to their homes.

Having a fire extinguisher handy is great. Are you going to be out there with it from the time you light it until the last ember dies. It doesn't take long to lose everything.

How close will the egg be to a window or door? Don't forget about carbon monoxide.

Here is a post I put together showing some issues folks have had.  http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/1471305#Comment_1471305

Building a fire on a flammable surface is just asking for trouble.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Thanks Carolina Q! welp looks like I have some work to do before she comes!
  • I have a screened in porch and have wanted to egg on it many times, but I was scared to do it. 

The horror stories are out there. There have been some here at this forum that have lost their homes from a fire. I personally wouldn't do it.

For me the risk isn't worth the convenience. 

We are glad to have you here! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • TN2TX
    TN2TX Posts: 298
    I think long term you need a better solution. In the short term, you should be fine. I will move my egg inside my screened porch if the weather is bad. Regarding smoke: keep the kids inside until your smoke is burning clean. That way, you limit the large gust of smoke coming inside. Just my .02 but I am new too. 
    Dallas, TX