Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sweet Baby Rays wing sauce

I cooked some boneless wings last night. I used some Sweet Baby Rays wing sauce ( sweet Chili flavor). I usually add stuff to store bought sauces. But not this time. It has just enough heat. image

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
Greenville Tx

Comments

• tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    On the list
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • I have used their original wing sauce and have to say it is pretty good, especially when it's a last minterview wing cook and it's at the same store where I get the wings!
    Pure Michigan
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Mini BGE, Weber Smokey Mountain, Weber Performer.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Making BBQ sauce is very simple. Takes less that 5 minutes. My BBQ sauce puts Baby Ray's to shame. I can control the heat and the sweatness.
  • fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,236
    I use their bbq sauce all the time. Gonna have to try this wing sauce now - thanks for the info.
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    He's just trolling now.  Next it's going to be "posting to a forum is easy.  my secret posts easily blow away all of your pedestrian posts"
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    I can share my recipe for my sweat BBQ sauce. However, the recipe will be useless for you, the main ingredient is the sweat I wring from my shirt. Without that ingredient you will never be able to recreate it.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Mikee
    Jeremiah said:
    @Mikee‌ Let's get this straight; your pizza dough is so good you won't even share it with your own daughter, and your bbq sauce is so good it puts sweet baby rays to shame. Are you also blessed like Ron Jeremy? I bet you live in a mansion better than bill gates too. Oh and I'm guessing your big green egg is actually your own creation after one night at pottery class. =)) =))

First of all why the attack?

I have never measured ingredients for BBQ sauce. It so simple to make. Perhaps it shows your total lack of cooking skills as well as some others.

BBQ sauce is just a mixture of several ingredients. For mine I use: water, apple vinegar, brown sugar, cayenne pepper, hot sauce, ketchup, mustard, and Worcestershire. How easy it that! I control the sweetness and the heat. Baby Rays is too sweet. BBQ sauce should enhance things; not be the main flavor. If your counting on your store bought BBQ sauce being the 'hit' of the meal, then you need to learn how to cook.  

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Mikee said:
    Jeremiah said:
    @Mikee‌ Let's get this straight; your pizza dough is so good you won't even share it with your own daughter, and your bbq sauce is so good it puts sweet baby rays to shame. Are you also blessed like Ron Jeremy? I bet you live in a mansion better than bill gates too. Oh and I'm guessing your big green egg is actually your own creation after one night at pottery class. =)) =))

First of all why the attack?

I have never measured ingredients for BBQ sauce. It so simple to make. Perhaps it shows your total lack of cooking skills as well as some others.

BBQ sauce is just a mixture of several ingredients. For mine I use: water, apple vinegar, brown sugar, cayenne pepper, hot sauce, ketchup, mustard, and Worcestershire. How easy it that! I control the sweetness and the heat. Baby Rays is too sweet. BBQ sauce should enhance things; not be the main flavor. If your counting on your store bought BBQ sauce being the 'hit' of the meal, then you need to learn how to cook.  

He's not attacking you....he's making jokes because of your bold proclamation that you make a "simple" BBQ sauce that puts one of the nations top selling sauces "to shame".  Well, what may be "simple" to you might be quite daunting to a beginner.  While I'm not new to making BBQ I wouldn't consider myself an expert either.  I, for one, would love a recipe for a 5 min. simple sauce that puts Baby Ray's to shame.  I think it's a cop-out to say you don't measure ingredients or have a recipe for it after your previous comments.  

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    Totally agree @GATraveller, well said.

When people state their opinion as fact they get into trouble.  For some, it's just a presentation issue, but there are always some that are so totally oblivious to the perspective of others, or even the existence of an opinion other than their own that they come off as arrogant, ignorant and piss everyone else off, then wonder why they're under attack.

Opinions are great, it would truly suck if we all thought the same way, but they're personal and they're not fact.  But that's just my opinion.
  • Mikee

I stated the ingredients. And yes it does put Baby Rays a distant second. Could I use Baby Ray's and doctor it up? Sure I could. With such a simple recipe for BBQ sauce, why not make it myself.

Making BBQ sauce is a breeze, taste and adjust. Making great pizza dough requires a recipe.

• Everytime I see a thread with a certain poster on it ^^^^ I have to click on it because I know it will make me laugh  8->
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    I'll agree with @Mikee that SBR is too sweet. At least for my palette. I won't allow that stuff in my house, but to each his own. As a lover of wings, I might try their wing sauce if I see it at the store next time, but I'm not holding my breath. But like I said, to each his own and if you like it then its a great find, but why no pics of the wings? :(

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Mikee
    Thanks. I've been beaten up here. SBR is over powering. I think a BBQ sauce should play second fiddle. The main cook should be at the forefront. I 50-50 on whether to use BBQ sauce on ribs. I think adding it gives it a much different experience. Why cook something the same way every time; a slight difference changes things immensely and just adds to the cooking experience. A light coating of homemade BBQ sauce is a welcomed addition to changing the flavor.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Gonna make you Sweat Baby Rays. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• DMW
    Gonna make you Sweat Baby Rays. 

Careful there, you might get an abuse flag...

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    I use SBR sauce. Just like spaghetti sauce just add to it. I add apple cider vinegar, chili garlic paste, a splash of fish sauce, and some red pepper flake. And that's the sauce I use on my ribs on top of different rubs. Ive had lots of compliments.

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Mikee
    texaswig said:
    I use SBR sauce. Just like spaghetti sauce just add to it. I add apple cider vinegar, chili garlic paste, a splash of fish sauce, and some red pepper flake. And that's the sauce I use on my ribs on top of different rubs. Ive had lots of compliments.
    I've done similar in the past. Use a pre-made item and then add to it. The items you add to SBR's, in my opinion, will make the final BBQ sauce much better. Some here like SBR's out of the bottle; nothing wrong with that. It's made to appeal to a lot of people. Is it the best BBQ sauce on the grocery shelf? Is it the best BBQ every made or can someone make it better?
  • AUCE
    AUCE Posts: 890
    Jeremiah said:

:)) =)) :D

I would much rather be able to say I was glad I did than wished I had........

XL owner and purveyor of pallette perfection...

Homosassa....Mecca of Florida

• DMW
    Just because...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    DMW said:
    Just because...
    I'm glad that you did. I have never seen this post before. It was a little before my time. Interesting to say the least. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    This made me go do research. Thanks!!

does anyone have a good pizza dough recipe?  ;)
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Haha. @DMW!  It's funny about 2 weeks a go I did some pulled pork for a get together  and while everyone was standing around I mixed up some SBR with with of the usual stuff. Everybody was looking at me like I was crazy. Then they tasted it and started in on how awesome it was and who taugh me that. Like it was super top secret or something. 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    I like SBR. About once a year they show up at the TCU tailgate and hand out all you can carry. I tried some of their buffalo sauce and did not care for it at all. Their bbq sauces are good though. Haven't tried that sweet chili sauce.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Mikee said:

I stated the ingredients. And yes it does put Baby Rays a distant second. Could I use Baby Ray's and doctor it up? Sure I could. With such a simple recipe for BBQ sauce, why not make it myself.

Making BBQ sauce is a breeze, taste and adjust. Making great pizza dough requires a recipe.

Taste is very subjective =)
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Mikee said:

I'm happy for you because you have something that works for you in making BBQ sauce. However for me and my family we very much like Blues Hog sauce, I have no desire to make my own and you do. So be it I guess I don't know how to cook! :)

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    Phatchris said:
    Mikee said:

Taste is very subjective =)
    Lack of taste, is not.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Mikee said:

I'm happy for you because you have something that works for you in making BBQ sauce. However for me and my family we very much like Blues Hog sauce, I have no desire to make my own and you do. So be it I guess I don't know how to cook! :)

I agree, too many award winning sauces out there. I guess I could drag out 8-10 ingredients and pans and utensils and make a mess. Or just dig into my stash of sauces from the rub and sauce exchanges. Same thing for making rubs, if it wins American Royal or other major contests it ought to be good enough for me. The sauces I don't like go into first batch of chili each year. Same for salsa I don't like.