Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Artisan bread in five minute question

Options
I just purchased the new artisan bread in five minutes a day. Book.it says when you cook bread in oven to put a pan in oven and add water to it to form steam. Is it also necessary to do that on egg.

Comments

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Yes, or it will not have color and will be dense.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • jscarfo
    jscarfo Posts: 405
    Options
    Ok thanks, do you have same book
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    edited December 2014
    Options
    No, just experience (that includes failure and sucess).  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    I have the book, made the bread on the egg. Yes you need The pan for water. The bread will be great!
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I have artisan bread dough sitting overnight. I bake mine in a ci do...must be different
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    henapple said:
    I have artisan bread dough sitting overnight. I bake mine in a ci do...must be different
    That's a good technique.  The steam from the dough hangs around in the DO.
    Options
    jscarfo said:
    I just purchased the new artisan bread in five minutes a day. Book.it says when you cook bread in oven to put a pan in oven and add water to it to form steam. Is it also necessary to do that on egg.

I watched some pros make bread yesterday on the egg. They used a double stone set up to provide a air gap. Every little bit he would crack the lid open a little and spray the bottom stone with a water bottle to create a steam bath. I don't know if it's necessary or not as I'm not a bread maker. But I do know the bread was easily the best I have ever had.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I'm no bread expert, but I believe the steam keeps the crust flexible so the inside can expand and result in a light, airy bread.  Versus the outside dries out before it expands and the bread is dense.
    Options
    I'm no bread expert, but I believe the steam keeps the crust flexible so the inside can expand and result in a light, airy bread.  Versus the outside dries out before it expands and the bread is dense.

I didn't get to hear all the details as I was having to feed Unit #6 constantly, but I did hear him say that without the steam that the inside of the bread would blow out. I'm just repeating the little I heard, myself I don't have a clue.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    I would think it would be needed with a egg. I'm a firm believer in their recipes. I use the v pizza dough all the time. I've never done bread on the egg . Guess I need to get to it. I've made theirs in a Dutch oven in the oven and it came out awesome.

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • jscarfo
    Options
    I will be making it on the egg today pics will follow
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Here's a setup that worked well for me to add steam:

Post pics, bread is one of my favorites.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    You are correct.  From a technique standpoint, you want a steam pan in the oven or egg, and i recommend use one with some thermal mass ( not foil) and add hot water.  Put your loaf onto the stone, add the water to the pan, then close the egg immediately.

The steam will condense on the surface of the cold dough, and delay the crust formation.  This results in greater "oven spring", so the bread can expand to its maximum volume.  There are lots more things that happen as the bread bakes.  If you are really interested, here is a link to a good article.

Post pics, and if your first loaf isn't all you hoped it would be, make another batch.  While my first batch was good, once I had made 3-4 batches, I refined my technique and had consistently better results.

Lastly, a word of warning.  You can become addicted to fresh bread to the point that you gain a lot of weight.  I speak from experience
    [-X 
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • jscarfo
    Options
    Here's first loaf. Checked with thermapen to about200. Tasted great could have baked a little longer
  • jscarfo
    Options
    Just did a loaf in oven to compare
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I bake mine in a do...30 minutes covered and then 20 or till done.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN