Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Taking the mini-max discussion north of the border

Options
With all of this mini-max talk and the imminent availability in the States, I figured it's only a matter of time until the discussion shifts to the great white north (yes we get everything slower up here). I showed little patience in pulling the trigger on a KJ Jr. earlier this year, so the MM is not in my future, but I thought I would start this thread for the benefit of other Canadians that might be anxiously awaiting the MM. 

Last I heard, BGE Canada was saying end of November or early December, which probably means in the new year! Don't think there has been any word on pricing yet, but we can be sure it'll be more than the $598 US MSRP! 
Ajax, ON Canada
(XL BGE, MED BGE, La Caja China #2, and the wife's Napoleon gasser)

Comments

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • bweekes
    bweekes Posts: 725
    Options
    Seems to have arrived up here. 

Ajax, ON Canada
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Are you guys on the eggers everywhere map? Ontario is sucking.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Greeno55
    Greeno55 Posts: 635
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I know for sure Dixon's in Toronto and Ontario Gas BBQ in Vaughan have received shipments. My local guys, I doubt it. They're a kitchen supply store, and when I went in to purchase on one of their "demo days" I felt like I was explaining things to them, and that's from what I learned on here before ever actually touching one.
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
  • gabriegger
    Options
    Tempted to pull the trigger but when I pull the gun out of my mouth over potential price point - I think I'd buy another Mini instead.

the city above Toronto - Noodleville wtih 2 Large 1 Mini

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    You can add two Mini Max to the Canada side come March. Just show up in Salado on the 14th, hold two winning tickets and take them home.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Sammi
    Sammi Posts: 598
    Options
    Rob has the MM @ Dicksons, along with some shiny accessories.
    Sudbury, Ontario
  • bweekes
    Options
    Tempted to pull the trigger but when I pull the gun out of my mouth over potential price point - I think I'd buy another Mini instead.
    Well said! LOL. I don't want to know how much of premium we will be paying up here. The relatively weak loonie is not going to help matters either. 
    Ajax, ON Canada
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,515
    Options
    A well known dealer in Toronto had stock more than a week ago, CAD$699 with free platesetter. IMO it's a decent price given the five year low CAD$ vs. US$ and past pricing in GWN.
    canuckland
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    Options
    I'm on the fence, I am tempted by the joe jr, how do you like yours bweekes?
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • Greeno55
    Greeno55 Posts: 635
    Options
    I've thought long and hard about the price.  I have been eying the mini for quite some time now and have been going back and forth trying to weigh the benefits of the mini vs. the small for my second Egg.  I for one was very happy about the MM.  Yes, $699 is pricey, but when I looked at the small price, then considered buying the Egg Carten, or something similar to make it portable, I feel the MiniMax is a better option.  Also, to buy the mini with a nest, you're not too far off from the MM price, and get substantially more space.  I would already own one, but it was hinted VERY strongly to me not the purchase one until the new year, suggesting I'll be the proud owner of my second Egg on December 25th.  T-minus 16 days!!!
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
  • bweekes
    Options
    GlennM said:
    I'm on the fence, I am tempted by the joe jr, how do you like yours bweekes?
    I really like my Jr. I've done comparisons between my XL and Jr, and really can't taste a difference in the end product. Mind you, I haven't gone low and slow with it yet - mainly use it for quick direct cooks. But the fact that it comes with a platesetter and raised grid attachment, makes it a great value over the MM, IMO.  Also - Kamado Joe customer service is exceptional. 
    Ajax, ON Canada
  • islanderegger
    Options
    On Vancouver Island my dealer said he ordered some and the price is 699.00    I think I seen the Kamando Joe Jr.selling for 649.00 , so the price is about right.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,515
    Options
    @Greeno55 - CIA (congrats in advance)!
    canuckland
  • AlbertaEgger
    Options
    They were planning on a shipment being on its way ~Dec 5th here is what my dealer has told me. I have my name on one of them sinse I have been asking them for months already. Although I am still trying to talk the wife into it. $699.99
    County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada
  • bweekes
    Options
    On Vancouver Island my dealer said he ordered some and the price is 699.00    I think I seen the Kamando Joe Jr.selling for 649.00 , so the price is about right.
    You probably saw the classic Joe selling at that price. The Joe Jr. is around $450, so quite a bit cheaper than the $700 being quoted for the MM. Unless of course, they're selling the Jr. at a premium out west. 
    Ajax, ON Canada
  • bigalsworth
    Options
    $700 in Saskatoon and we won't see them until March
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada
  • islanderegger
    Options

You probably saw the classic Joe selling at that price. The Joe Jr. is around $450, so quite a bit cheaper than the $700 being quoted for the MM. Unless of course, they're selling the Jr. at a premium out west. 
    No, that was the little guy selling at Capital Iron here in Victoria.  I thought it was a little steep but the wife thought it was cute.
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    Options
    The joe jr is $450 here. Not to bad considering the included accessories
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario