Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Look who's going to restaurant depot!

yzzi
yzzi Posts: 1,843
Getting my jacket ready... image
Dunedin, FL

Comments

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Next you'll be sitting next to Myron and tellin people their food stinks lol
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Nice. My closest rd is 2 hrs away. Still might join the kcbs for the other perks. Let us know what you think.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • apinion
    apinion Posts: 470
    So let me get this straight...

You can join the KCBC even if you aren't in Kansas City?  I have been looking for an "in" since I practically work next to a RD.  

Whats the process yzzi?
    Louisianian by birth, Louisianian by death. Austinite for now...
  • apinion
    I see the application looks straight forward enough, but once you get the membership you just head up to the RD and walk in?
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    apinion said:
    I see the application looks straight forward enough, but once you get the membership you just head up to the RD and walk in?
    If you go to the KCBS website, it has info on how it will get you into RD for free.  You just show your KCBS membership card and they will give you a day pass.  Some locations get a little confused about this, but others are very familiar with the process.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • yzzi
    I called the Depot to ask and they said your get a full blown membership with this as they don't give out day passes. I'm fully expecting to get into a "the manager told me this...." conversation. We'll see.
    Dunedin, FL
  • apinion
    Any of my fellow Austin eggers have any luch with our RD at 183 and I-35?
  • jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Is it possible to get into a Restaurant Depot and just look around without a pass or membership?  It would be nice to see what they offer to see if it is worth it.
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • yzzi
    jcaspary said:
    Is it possible to get into a Restaurant Depot and just look around without a pass or membership?  It would be nice to see what they offer to see if it is worth it.
    I don't know yes or now to this one, but I know I could have just walked right through without anyone noticing. I stopped by the desk and got a full membership card. I don't think the girl did it right cause she asked if 4 different people were still on the original account. I said no, but I'm pretty sure someone from KCBS got messed up.

It was really impressive. I have never seen a "cooler" as big as what I just walked through. I picked up a brisket and threw it in the freezer for some other time. I will compare prices to Costco ribeyes for my next dry age. Needless to say, I was in heaven. Lots and lots of stuff.
    Dunedin, FL
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564

@yzzi Did you find the hardwood lump? Most have some for restaurants that cook with it.

I pick up 40lbs of the Lazzeri for about $13.00

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • yzzi
    They had big bags of royal oak. I'm not particularly fond of royal oak so I doubt I'll get that.
    Dunedin, FL
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Membership is free for businesses that have a tax ID.  I just got our HR person to fill out the form.  Our local lab should have membership soon.  I have a pass already through a friend's business, but it will be nice option should I wear off the numbers on it (almost there).
    Got my membership packet today - early Christmas present. I probably wouldn't join myself, but I'm looking forward to checking out RD
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    OK, I looked into this.  the Restaurant Depot doesn't say anything about it, but the KCBS website does list the one day free shopping pass as a benefit of membership, anytime you show up at RD.  but then looking into being a member of KCBS, it is a $35 annual membership fee.

Well, that knocks it out for me.  Between driving time & gas to the nearest RD for me plus $35 annually is outside what I'm willing to pay for this benefit.  I just don't see myself using it enough to justify the investment.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791

Membership is free for businesses that have a tax ID.  I just got our HR person to fill out the form.  Our local lab should have membership soon.  I have a pass already through a friend's business, but it will be nice option should I wear off the numbers on it (almost there).

Does a LLC qualify?

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    @SGH - I think it would if it was registered to pay state sales tax. I'm not an accountant.

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• Does the KCBS give you only *one* unique visit, or can you just get a day pass each time you go? That would seem to make the difference in cost to me...
    Manning our FOB in occupied Northern Virginia...
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Chelnerul said:
    Does the KCBS give you only *one* unique visit, or can you just get a day pass each time you go? That would seem to make the difference in cost to me...
    You can go every day my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    I'll be joining that soon, even Californians are welcome in it !
    :D
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "

• SGH said:
    Chelnerul said:
    Does the KCBS give you only *one* unique visit, or can you just get a day pass each time you go? That would seem to make the difference in cost to me...
    You can go every day my friend.
    Ah, excellent news! That may have sealed it for me...thanks SGH
    Manning our FOB in occupied Northern Virginia...
  • apinion said:
    Any of my fellow Austin eggers have any luch with our RD at 183 and I-35?

Yep. Was there today.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    I have an RD card via my friends restaurant. Anyone can walk in. They scan the card during purchase just like BJs.
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    JethroVA said:
    I have an RD card via my friends restaurant. Anyone can walk in. They scan the card during purchase just like BJs.
    Not at the 2 RDs that I go to. They require you to swipe your card at the entrance and are stopping people that don't do it.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • FarmerTom
    FarmerTom Posts: 685
    edited December 2014
    I am a partner in a small business in Ky.  We have a Sales and Use Tax Certificate and collect sales tax for the state on applicable sales.  Is this what is required for a RD membership and does it get the membership for free, even if the business has nothing to do with the food service industry?  There is a RD about 60 miles away in Louisville.  Too far for just regular purchases, but might make a trip occasionally for special or large purchases, particularly if I can get the membership for free.

Tommy 

Middle of Nowhere, Northern Kentucky
       1 M, 1 XL, a BlackStone,1 old Webber, a Border Collie, a German Shepherd and 3 of her pups, and 2 Yorkies