Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

smoked duck

Options

Was thinking about doing a couple whole ducks on the smoker this weekend. Any of you have a good recipe or directions that you could help with? I usually do the wrap in bacon with cream chees and jalepenos but was hoping to try something new as well.

Thanks!

Franklin, TN

Comments

• duck_hunter
    Options
    Wild or domestic ducks?
    Barbecue may not be what brings world peace, but it has to be a good place to start -Anthony Bourdain 
  • duck_hunter
    Options
    Wild or domestic ducks?
    Barbecue may not be what brings world peace, but it has to be a good place to start -Anthony Bourdain 
  • shadowcaster
    Options
    My buddy has done quite a few ducks (wild) this year. I will try to see if I can get his method/recipe
    Pure Michigan
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Mini BGE, Weber Smokey Mountain, Weber Performer.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Spatchcock, course up the skin a little, just to break the skin, not go thru the fat.  You can cook a little confit in a pan inside to render some of the fat to start.  I'd go raised indirect once you out it on the grill, skin side down.  make sure you capture the fat.  Go 300 for 30 mins, drain the fat then add onions, garlic, and sliced potatoes to the pan.  Keep cooking it as the fat further renders into the potatoes, etc below...

Take off once it reaches about 160, then go raised direct to finish.

Spices you can try some off the shelf asian and place some orange slices on top or under the breast skin.

Take pica and post 'em.

Love Duck
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95