Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rib roast resting phenomena

Options

I did a 6lb Standing Rib roast yesterday. I decided to do a reverse sear starting at 225 for about 2hr 15min until the internal temp was 115-118 (see pic). I then pulled it off, foiled and got the Egg up to 600 deg (took about 10 min). I then seared each side for about 2min to get a good crust and pulled. IT was about 132 (a bit higher than I wanted)

What happened next killed me. I sliced the roast and covered with foil while I got sides together. The meat looked really good after slicing but I swear it went from a nice pink color throughout to almost light grey (like med-well) on many slices in the span of 2 minutes.

Did the meat cook further under the foil? Should I have waited to the last minute to carve? It was all very tasty (guests liked it). This was my first reverse sear of a rib roast so maybe I'm missing something here...

Thoughts and ideas always appreciated.

In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    It will continue cooking for sure. I usually pull earlier and I just "tent" with foil.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    Options
    Carve before serving!
    NW IOWA
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @Cymbaline65‌- What you said above is the very reason I sear first on real large cuts. It's much easier in my experience to hit the perfect temp if you already have the sear out of the way. If you sear first, it doesn't matter if the meat continues to rise while you are setting up for the indirect roasting because it's no where near done at this point. The reverse sear is just the opposite and it is easier to make mistakes. Don't misunderstand, the reverse sear works excellent and I use it for steaks and such. But on something really large where a few degrees internally can yield unwanted results, I much prefer the forward sear. I can usually hit my target within 3 degrees on large cuts of meat using the forward sear. Just what works for me.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Besides the cooking I bet you also had some oxidation going on there. 
    Ever see a roast beef in the deli that looks a bit gray med-well, then they slice it, and it's lovely pink? 
    No further cooking going on there, unless their meat slicer cauterizes. 

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • ShadowNick
    Options
    Also, on a reverse sear roast that size i'd let rest 20-30 minutes before doing the sear.

Here is Kenji being informative as usual on the subject:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2009/12/the-food-lab-how-to-cook-roast-a-perfect-prime-rib.html
    Pentwater, MI
  • TylerA
    TylerA Posts: 85
    Options
    it sounds to me like you didn't let it rest enough.  When you don't all the lovely juices run out the cut you just made instead of soaking back into the meat.  Tent with foil and then slice right before serving, you need to wait at least 5 min to slice, and like ShadowNick said, 20 would have been good on a roast.  
    LBGE
    Huffman, TX
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    your wasting good foil, dont foil til its going into the fridge. dont foil while its resting, dont foil after slicing, just dont do it. that and sear it first
    :D whats this obsession with foiling things
    :)) unless your resting it under the birdfeeder, maybe
    :D it drives people crazy when theres no foil on a resting bird or primerib at the table
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Cymbaline65
    Options

Thanks everyone, you all made some good points and I appreciate it.

Always a learning experience. I've been egging for over 20yrs and I still learn new things.

Onward and upward as they say..I'll post more/better content next time. Been a crazy few months and I'm hoping to get 2-3 good cooks in a week...

In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating