Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What do you contribute II

stemc33
stemc33 Posts: 3,567
edited December 2014 in EggHead Forum
What do you contribute to the forum?

@Mikee‌, I posted What do you contribute a few weeks ago and the mods keep it from bumping, so I figured I'd start part II.

Below is the original thread.
http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1173814/what-do-you-contribute#latest

Keep in my mind that posting about a simple hot dog cook might help a new EggHead or create a craving for an experienced EggHead. Either way it's a contribution to new or old. Please refrain from being a cancer that eats away at the forum. Say thanks for the free advice/recipes, contribute, or move on. You don't have to give up your prestigious dough recipe, but contribute something. Your arguments on multiple threads are getting old.
Steven
Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
two cotton pot holders to handle PS
Banner, Wyoming

Comments

• tcracing
    tcracing Posts: 378
    edited December 2014
    There are alot of members that just look in, others who contribute a lot, and others that just are looking to argue. I want to thank the ones who contribute and offer valuable information and help. Thanks.
    George Foreman? Who? 
    Tim C. Panama City, Fl. 
    Large, Minimax-soon
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,596
    Yeah, that fork was seriously gross. I couldn't eat for days after seeing that. :D
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    @Jeremiah‌, I guess when you calculate in the laugh factor, the @$$#oles contribute plenty. Good point. :D
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Sorry missed the first thread.  As far as contributing, I tell as many people as possible nice job on good cooks.  I also try to add knowledge where I can.  I don't post many cooks though.  I cook a couple times a week on my Eggs but I have a serious case of not feeling worthy.  I look at most of the cooks and am amazed at the skill, knowledge, and creativity that many of the members here show on a daily basis.  Me showing my "decent" cooks really doesn't help the masses.  I'm happy though to lurk more and try to pick up as much as possible so that hopefully when I do post something really good it gets more than a couple of comments. 
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • I agree @hapster‌ I don't post all my cooks because I cook a lot of quick things during the week. Simple chicken breast etc. the cooks that I put some thought into, I post good or bad because I can learn from feedback.

I also sometimes stir the pot admittedly. And apparently, I'm an azz.
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    After reading the posts from some "contributors", you probably shake your head and think, "My brother-in-law is not so bad after all."

Every forum has some certifiable members, so does every club ... heck even  your church probably has one or two. 

But, not every group has as many members as positive and helpful as this group.  It's a pleasure to be in your company.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    I like looking at everything,from hot dogs to wagyu.The day only decent/good cooks are allowed I outta here as I thought this was just a fun place to be.
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • I contribute with my caustic wit.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Legume
    I can't tell you how many pics I have of the start of cooks, only to get distracted by the ethanol or guests later and never have anything past 1/2 finished.  I never post those.  BB's this weekend - pic when I put them on, pic after three hours, then nothing.

I need to post my cooks more - I agree, sometimes it just seems ho hum, like hey - here's a pack of smoked sausages I warmed up and I would feel lame posting that.  Lots of great innovation here, but a good reminder to post the routine stuff you nail because it keeps it fresh for anyone new joining.  Also good to post the disasters if you want to figure out what happened or you know and others can learn from it.  Or if you just want to laugh at it.

Really though, I'm here to find secret recipes.  Still waiting for @AUCE to post the recipe for the secret rub and the bourbon sauce he referenced in his epic intro post.
    :D
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    edited December 2014

Legume said:
    ...  Also good to post the disasters if you want to figure out what happened or you know and others can learn from it.  Or if you just want to laugh at it. ...
    Ah ha, I knew there was a spot for me on the forum.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    I've messed up a couple of cooks and posted them. I just have a hard time posting plain old cooks or ones that don't stand out.   I know I should work on it and get over it.  I'm even trying to do more cooks that aren't just pork loin, meat loaf, among other things.  I usually don't do a lot of burgers or dogs because I would rather do things that are better to eat.  Stuffing a pork loin is probably next on the list.  It's either that or I will break out the salt block that has been collecting dust.  Believe me, this forum and its members are incredible.  ALWAYS helpful and ALWAYS willing to lend a hand.  I've learned more in the past few months since really following the forum than I have in grilling for the past 20 years. 
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • I don't post many pics anymore because it is difficult for me to do. None of the **** will help me post from photobucket or attach multiples. Firefox makes me put brackets around links or pics and not one of these **** will help. IE simply bumps me off every few minutes, but do you think any of these **** will tell me what's wrong? No! I do try and help with questions and suggestions though.

Just a nod to @Jeremiah there

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,704
    @Legume, @jcaspary and others - I agree with @hapster that there are no boring cooks. Folks here are nuts enough that you could grill a stick on the egg and we would like it :) I would!

Everyone has a slightly different take on meat loaf, pork butts, ribs, etc. so if you're cooking it - post it. You may get 2 comments, or 20. It' will help someone, guaranteed. There are very few (thankfully) posts/threads that are not helpful in the general sense. Overall, you'll find that the crowd here is super helpful. I have learned all kinds of things here (not just BBQ related), made some firends, and had a lot of good times.

I wonder who flagged the first post??

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,704
    Jeremiah said:
    I personally want to thank the ****. Seems that their assholesness jumps out just about the time I need a good laugh. I mean seriously, forks, VOCs and pizza dough? These are real world issues here. =)) =)) =))
    So very true. Where would we be without them?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • My family likes simple, pedestrian dishes so that's what I cook. I don't feel the need to post about them too much.
    Flint, Michigan
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    stemc33 said:
    What do you contribute to the forum?
    Not much I'm sure. But I try.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    I'm guilty of the same problem as @Legume. I always intend to share more cooks than I ever do. Most of my pics are from the start and then I don't get the wrap up done. I hate posting from my phone as my thumbs are too fat to type on the little keyboard. I email them to my computer and then get distracted by one of my 3 kids or we have to run off and do something and I forget about posting. 

I too really appreciate the folks that take time to post simple cooks because that's mostly what I have time for. I egg about 4-5 days a week right now since I have the time. I'll try to do a better job of sharing my simple stuff. Just know that my pictures won't look as nice as @Hapster or @cazzy because I don't have those skills. 
    :D
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    All I know is that I get far more out of this forum than I contribute.

And speaking of dough, the folks over at the fresh loaf . com do some amazing stuff.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    I only post cooks so I can get the patented "Seal of Approval" from @SGH   =))

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • SGH
    JRWhitee said:
    I only post cooks so I can get the patented "Seal of Approval" from @SGH   =))

I'm always honored to give it myl friend.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    edited December 2014
    I see posts from some that say "I don't post because they're not good enough".  I must say that really eats at me some.   
    I agree and for those who don't think their own cooking is good enough, there is a certain movie I recommend you watch.  But in order to save you the time, just read this quote from the movie.

It is a critic's review of the restaurant in the movie.  I've highlighted some of the key parts.

"In many ways, the work of a critic is easy. We risk very little, yet enjoy a position over those who offer up their work and their selves to our judgment. We thrive on negative criticism, which is fun to write and to read. But the bitter truth we critics must face, is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. But there are times when a critic truly risks something, and that is in the discovery and defense of the *new*. The world is often unkind to new talent, new creations. The new needs friends. Last night, I experienced something new: an extraordinary meal from a singularly unexpected source. To say that both the meal and its maker have challenged my preconceptions about fine cooking is a gross understatement. They have rocked me to my core. In the past, I have made no secret of my disdain for Chef Gusteau's famous motto, "Anyone can cook." But I realize, only now do I truly understand what he meant. Not everyone can become a great artist; but a great artist *can* come from *anywhere*. It is difficult to imagine more humble origins than those of the genius now cooking at Gusteau's, who is, in this critic's opinion, nothing less than the finest chef in France. I will be returning to Gusteau's soon, hungry for more. "
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Legume
    Mostly I learn and get great ideas here - share when I can, comment when I can, enjoy the sarcasm and acerbic humor when I can, and always, always enjoy those meltdown events that people have now and then and of course the humblebrag posts.
  • SGH
    Legume said: always enjoy those meltdown events 
    As do I. It tickles me to death.

Status- Standing by.

• I like to help out when I feel strongly about the way I do something turning out good. Some of the things I cook are not done on the egg like today I am making a very large pot of Pasta De Fagolli but it will be on the stove in the house. It is a recipe that I came up with myself after visiting Olive Garden. I looked at there's and felt I could make this at home so I put together my own recipe and I must say the wife likes mine over Olive Garden. If you don't know what that is it is a a type of vegetable bean soup. If you want my recipe just ask an I will share.
  • I am guilty of being a bum for gathering info and rarely sharing. I always have grand intentions to post and then never seem to get it done. I need to make it my challenge to myself to get more on here. It is by far the best place for knowledge out there. 
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    Maybe we should start a thread where we post our "meaningless cooks" with pictures of course.
    For instance at this very moment I'm cooking a frozen burger patty on my medium egg.
    What could we learn from this? ;)
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• SGH
    TigerTony said:
    For instance at this very moment I'm cooking a frozen burger patty on my medium egg. 
    Let's see em. Frozen burgers are one of my favorites =P~

Status- Standing by.