Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

SourDough

NDG
NDG Posts: 2,431
After spending some time on the pizzamaking forum, decided to buy an Italian sourdough culture from sourdo.com.  Got a few books on it because I had lots to learn, but wow, this is a whole new world! 

I activated my culture last week, and made my first loaf of sourdough this weekend.  Lots of fun and I could not be more happy with the flavor/texture.  Sliced hot with butter was unreal, then made french toast of out it the next morn.  I used the dutch oven in my oven, but next I will try the BGE to compare.   Also, next is pizza dough w/ sourdough - yum. 

Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 

Comments

• That crust looks spectacular
  • Looks GREAT!  I am going to try this, each time I've tried to make my own starter, I have FAILED...

Which starter did you purchase?

I have a very hard time engaging in passive relaxation. Twitter.Instagram.
    Dallas, TX

• NDG
    Thanks guys.  I got the Italian pack from sourdo.com and activated the "Ischia" . . . activating definitely a process but I think I got lucky as mine became active Day 5.   Its kinda cool because when it become fully active, the jar just explodes with life and smells great.
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Done...ordering it right now.

Thanks @NDG .

Dallas, TX

• @NDG‌ do you mind sharing your recipe you used for the bread?
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • NDG
    edited December 2014
    No prob - it was recommended to me by someone on the pizzamakingforum that helped me through my sourdough activation . . . here is the link:  http://breadtopia.com/sourdough-no-knead-method/

GO BUCKS - BEAT BAMA !
    Columbus, OH

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    I have to say, jokingly, that I hate you. It took me at least 6 mo.s to make a decent loaf of sourdough. Your first attempt looks as good, probably better, than anything I made.

I did try the Ischia culture w/o much success. Eventually had good results from the San Fran culture.

My 1st good results were done on the Egg. I suspect the heat transferred from the 'setter and pizza stone had something to do with it. Eventually, I bought a ceramic cloche to use in the oven, and had good results from that, but missed the slightly smoky, toasted flavor of Egg baked bread.

Again, congratulations, even tho' I'm greener than an Egg w. envy.
  • NDG
    Thanks @gdenby . . I know I got very lucky!  I work from home so I have the luxury of checking on it often.  Glad to hear you got your San Fran culture up and running - do you use it for pizza dough?
    Columbus, OH

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    I tried. My wife thought what I made was pretty good, but I didn't think much of it. I started the culture just for pizza. We happened upon a place over in the next county where the fellow has had his own culture growing for the last 12+ years, and he cooks in a standard wood fired oven. Traditional Neapolitan style, lots of good char on the bottom. I suppose my pies were disappointing because i had to compare to his. The wood fired oven has extremely hot air over the pie, maybe 1400F. The stone is around 900. I could get a good crust when cooking on the Egg, or in the oven w. a steel pizza disk, but the toppings never quite made it.

• NDG
    edited December 2014
    Yea that sounds very familiar with my attempts, but I just got the blackstone pizza oven.  My wife was not too into the purchase (she thinks its ugly) but man does it crank the heat!  I have only cooked one time on it so far (used instant dry yeast dough) but the leopard bottom and brown topping gave me a serious chub.  As many have said, you can make a great new york pie on the BGE, but I am on a mission for real deal Neapolitan.  Next though I want to do a sourdough loaf on the BGE and see how it goes.
    Columbus, OH

• I have worked with a starter many times I usually end up losing it due to lack of use. Here is a recipe to start your own culture:
    3 small potatoes
    3 cups water
    1 cake or envelope yeast (active)
    1/2 tbs sugar
    2 cups flour
    1 tbs sugar
    Boil potatoes in 3 cups water no salt until soft discard potatoes saving the water measure 2 cups of the water pour into glass or pottery bowl let cool to lukewarm mix in the yeast and 1/2 tbs sugar let stand until the yeast is working well, then add 2 cups flour and 1/2 tbs sugar mix well cover with towel and let it set in warm place for 3 days stirring down each day after the 3rd day your starter is ready to use. I does raise so be sure the bowel is large enough to double the starter.
    To replenish your starter add equal amounts of tepid water and flour store your starter in the fridge uncovered.
  • Hoov
    Hoov Posts: 264
    Wow. Amazing loaf!
    - Proud owner of a Large BGE
    - Norman, OK
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    Homerun. That looks absolutely fantastic.
  • NDG
    Thanks!
    Columbus, OH

• I have baked many loaves of sourdough bread on my large BGE. For you beginners with both pizza and bread the key is to elevate your pizza stone above the bottom half of the dome. For bread I use a stainless steel mixing bowl over the top of the dough for the first 20 minutes of the cook. After I slash the dough I mist it with water before loading it on the stone. Then I cover it with the mixing bowl... That creates lots of steam so you get maximum oven spring. When I remove the mixing bowl I also take the daisy wheel off so I can see the color of the bread. I cook to color - not to temp. If the temp goes up a little more than 205 degrees... It will not effect the crumb very much. My set up and resultes... BGE... Bread set up https://www.flickr.com/photos/food_pictures/16053494885/ Top view during baking... https://www.flickr.com/photos/food_pictures/16053492545/ Ciabatta bread... https://www.flickr.com/photos/food_pictures/15849157737/ Results... https://www.flickr.com/photos/food_pictures/15866211010/ https://www.flickr.com/photos/food_pictures/15849156117/
  • Just wanted to thank you  @NDG .  I ordered the starter and it finally got here...it took almost three weeks, but whatever it was during the holidays...

Here is the pic of me trying to get it "Activated"...

Unfortunately I didn't have the confidence in the Yeti and made a proofing box out of stuff laying around the house.  

This morning, the starter was twice the size it was last night...so one day down, and 4 more to go.  Yipeeee!!!

Dallas, TX

• NDG
    edited January 2015
    Awesome @theshaytoon!!  I found Ed Woods sourdo.com instructions somewhat confusing, so I was asking for help during my activtion on pizzamaking.com . . . sounds like your off to a great start, but here is the link to my posts . .  good luck!

Columbus, OH

• NDG
    edited January 2015
    PS I hosted a New Years Day party to watch my BUCKEYES beat BAMA (still in happy shock) and pumped out the best pizza in my life on my blackstone using the Ischia Sourdough.  I failed the first few times, but when the money was on the line it came out freakin perfect!  Here is the link I used from pizzamaking.com for the entire process (dough to ferment to open dough balls etc)

Columbus, OH

• Well thanks a lot @NDG

It wasn't like the EggHeadForum wasn't taking enough of my time during the day, now I have another Forum Addiction...  PizzaMaking.com  WELL CRAP!

:D

Dallas, TX

• I thought you guys would get a kick out of this...

This is how I am keeping tabs on my Home Made Proof Box.  When it gets too hot or too cold, I have the wifey go in upstairs and adjust the "lid".  Essentially she is the FAN!

Dallas, TX

• NDG
    classic!
    Columbus, OH

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    A closed oven with the light on if you have one makes a perfect proofing box , at least here it does.
    Seattle, WA
  • @skinnyV I didn't think about that, well until I read some of the posts on pizzamaking.com.

I was all proud of myself for going into the garage and building this...now; not so much.  

Dallas, TX