Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I can only find Select Full Packer Brisket locally. Any good?

Options
500 Posts: 3,177
edited December 2014 in EggHead Forum
I've looked around at all the local stores, and I can only find USDA Select full packers at WalMart.  Are these worth it, at $4 a pound?  I can get brisket flats all day, but I want to try a packer.  Maybe Costco has them but I'm not a member.

Happy Monday, Eggheads!
I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
Member since 2009

Comments

• clintmiller
    Options
    $4/pound for select is pretty expensive. I paid a bit less than that for prime at Costco last Friday (in Austin). I've cooked a number of select briskets. Some came out great. Some came out just ok. Even the ones that came out just ok made great chopped beef.

If you go with a select packer, try to get the floppiest feeling one you can. It will have the most fat and will be the moistest.

(As an aside, I've found that prime packers cook much faster than select packers. For 15-pound briskets, select usually cook for me in 14-18 hours at 250, while prime usually cook in 12-13 hours.)
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    Thanks Clint.  I'll check Costco with a friend that has a membership. 
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • Black_Badger
    Options
    This seems to be a question that varies significantly based on region. I know in So Cal I had a hard time finding even select packers at less than $6/#, and even then they were sometimes hard to find. I personally think a select packer can end up delicious (especially closer to and in the point), but prime is often better (provided the same cooking techniques are used). That's probably not terribly surprising.

If you're really feeling adventurous try to Travis method, it can produce knock out results, but is much more a braise than a true BBQ.

Cheers -
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    @500 - if you go to Costco with your buddy and you don't find a prime packer in the display cooler, ask one of the guys behind the glass. Sometimes they have them but simply don't have them on display. 
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    I paid less than $4 a pound at walmart for choice here in South Carolina.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    Our Costco does not carry any packer briskets. I've asked the meat cutters and they said they do not carry  them even though other Costco locations do carry them.  Walmart here does have both Select and Choice packer briskets at the same price- I paid $3.68/pound about 2 months ago.  If you don't see any Choice ones, ask the meat manager if they have any in the back.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Price on brisket is regional. I find packers at Sam's and GFS under $4 but that's not bad. I can't find anything prime here and keep my house.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    Here in Planet California, I have found that Lunardi's, Smart&Final, Costco's, and some others,( have not been to WalMart) all carry or have in the back,select and choice packers, have not seen prime anywhere but Lunardi's. Heck, I'd do a select just for the practice, if it sucks, make chili, taco's, chop for sammiches, or feed it to your dog.
    :-bd :D
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "