Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1.5" rib eye bone in...

Options
Want to give some steaks a try on the xl...I'm in need of a.start to finish advice.
TEMP. TIME TURNING REST ETC. DONT WANNA SCREW UP $$$$ IN STEAKS MED RARE.
I just don't get lighting the middle.direct cook..seems like some steaks will be over the fire.and some not..HELP.

I would much rather be able to say I was glad I did than wished I had........

XL owner and purveyor of pallette perfection...

Homosassa....Mecca of Florida

Comments

• SoCalWJS
    SoCalWJS Posts: 407
    Options
    T-Rex those bad boys.

How many steaks?

Get a good fire going in however big of an area needed so that all steaks are directly over coals - at least 650. Sear them quickly on both sides (length of time depends on how hot the BGE is and to a lesser degree things such as type of grid and how crowded the steaks are). Usually 90-120 seconds a side. The only time I did several Ribeyes at the same time, the fire got extremely hot due to all of the fat on the steaks - be careful!

Pull the steaks and rest them for 20 minutes. Shut the Egg doen about as far as you can - tiny gap on the bottom and top vents. Temp should be between 350-400 after 20 minutes.

Return the steaks to the egg. For me it's about 5-7 more minutes for perfect medium rare. I measure with my trusty Thermapen and pull at about 127 (they're going to rise a couple more degrees while they rest about 3-5 minutes)

Serve.

Keep seasoning simple - S&P, maybe EVO if you want a better sear.

Delicious!
    South SLO County
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    T-rex is good. I also like to reverse sear in a CI skillet. Cook indirect at 275-300 to within 15* of your desired finished temperature. Take steaks off to rest, pull platesetter or stone and put on CI skillet and open the vents up and go nuclear. I like to coat steaks in butter, but you could use oil. After the pan is really hot, sear for 90 sec or so a side. Nice buttery crust is delish.

Either way produces some fine eats. Best tool in either cook is the thermapen or other instant thermometer. Cooking to temp is the key.
  • AUCE
    AUCE Posts: 890
    Options
    SoCalWJS said:
    T-Rex those bad boys.

How many steaks?

Get a good fire going in however big of an area needed so that all steaks are directly over coals - at least 650. Sear them quickly on both sides (length of time depends on how hot the BGE is and to a lesser degree things such as type of grid and how crowded the steaks are). Usually 90-120 seconds a side. The only time I did several Ribeyes at the same time, the fire got extremely hot due to all of the fat on the steaks - be careful!

Pull the steaks and rest them for 20 minutes. Shut the Egg doen about as far as you can - tiny gap on the bottom and top vents. Temp should be between 350-400 after 20 minutes.

Return the steaks to the egg. For me it's about 5-7 more minutes for perfect medium rare. I measure with my trusty Thermapen and pull at about 127 (they're going to rise a couple more degrees while they rest about 3-5 minutes)

Serve.

• AUCE
    AUCE Posts: 890
    Options
    AUCE said:
    SoCalWJS said:
    T-Rex those bad boys.

How many steaks?

Serve.

2-8 steaks..