Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

This is not the pizza I made on the egg...

Options
This is the one I cooked in the oven. image

The one I tried to cook in the egg wasn't worth a photo. It figures the first time I try to make a pizza on my egg is also the first time it wouldn't come up to temp. Tried all the tricks but just could'nt get the egg past 425. Oh well, it'll go better next time.
LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...

Comments

• Smoker317
    Options
    I haven't used my egg enough to give advice, I have had mine up to about 675 on three occasions now..  Wide open vent and nothing on the top.  On my egg, if I keep the daisy wheel on, but wide open I can get to about 550.

Someone on this site will be able to help, the vast amount of experience is second to none.
    Egghead since November 2014, XL-BGE & ET-732
    Smobot
    Living near Indy
    36" Blackstone
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I haven't done a pizza on my egg in probably two years. At least as good in the oven - and sooo much easier!

And just look at yours!! Looks awesome!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    Have you ever pulled all the guts and cleaned out? Sounds like airflow. Stuff builds up around the firebox perimeter that you can't necessarily get to with the ash tool.
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    I cooked a lot of pizzas this summer. It's probably the only time I clean every last bit of ash and old charcoal out. If I didn't have really good airflow i also would stall. I like to cook them around 650 but there are people here who cook at lower temps too. Pizza is my favorite thing to cook on the egg, but I'm just a grasshopper.

@Grillmagic‌ cooks a lot of great looking pies, maybe he/she can chime in.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options
    I prefer the oven as well. I get repeatable results everytime. My small egg is great, but pizza's is not a strong point.
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    edited December 2014
    Options
    It wasn't all that long ago that I gave it a full clean out. I'll take a look at it tomorrow. Plan on cooking burgers tomorrow nite. I know it's easier and just as good to cook them in the oven but I still want to be able to do them on the egg. Thanks for the compliment @Carolina_Q
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options

I made pizza Friday nite and it was ridiculous.  I snapped a picture or two an of course, in a drunken stupor, dropped my *&*%^$!!! cell phone so I can't get the photos here...yet.  tomorrow i'll go to Verizon and get it all straightened out with the replacement phone they're sending me.

fuel type is important and I've been able to get my BGE the hottest with some mesquite charcoal- el diablo is what I get around Phoenix.  I've also gotten really hot results with using just mesquite sticks cut off my trees and throwing them in the firebox.  it takes a little time but I've had no problem getting a super hot egg with the 3" max diameter mesquite trimmings.  mesquite around here grows like weeds so I've pretty much got an endless supply of fuel for my bge.  I do need to get the super hi temp gasket on there though as i'll burn them up fast

When you make pizza, especially if you're making dough, it is critical to let it do a COLD rise in the fridge for at least a day, and as many as 4 days is good.  Get your stone good and hot by letting it warm up over an hour or so, and your BGE should at a minimum be 650.  800 is preferable.

I'll post more when I can get my phone up and running but attached is  a pizza I did a few months ago with homemade crust. 

Happy EGGING!

• XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Did you drop your phone in the fire?
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    @westernbbq‌ mesquite is a strong wood(hee,hee. Sorry, back to adulthood) no objectionable flavor? Obviously, you like it.
  • westernbbq
    Options

XC242 said:
    Did you drop your phone in the fire?
    too funny, no, I dropped in my driveway.  but, that's what seven Amstel Lights will make me do occasionally!
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Oven only for me easier and tastes just fine.
    Seattle, WA
  • westernbbq
    Options
    @westernbbq‌ mesquite is a strong wood(hee,hee. Sorry, back to adulthood) no objectionable flavor? Obviously, you like it.
    the raw mesquite wood is VERY strong (like Hickory is) but after  a while, it burns the resin out and then gives a slight hint of a charcoal flavor.  I even make my own mesquite charcoal sometimes by loading up the XL, getting the fire going and waiting for the smoke to run almost clear and then cutting off the air.  But, just burning mesquite wood for a while and letting the resin burn out of it (not the charcoal) results in dense, SUPER HOT bright orange glowing sticks in the BGE.  When I lapped my temp gauge last weekend doing a clean burn (and in the process burned up my gasket) I threw some mesquite trimmings on what was left over after the turkey cook.  I think the XL got up to 1200F or so, and my LG was up around 900.
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    @westernbbq‌ cool. Only mesquite around here is prepackaged stuff. Just curious. Thanks.
  • westernbbq
    Options
    if you're able to find pure mesquite charcoal, try it, it burns super hot and actually makes steaks and chicken taste awesome.  I also use it for low and slow cooks and have never had a complaint about flavor.  Pecan trees grow around here like crazy too and my sister has a huge one in her yard that gets cut back annually- and that's when I go pick up a bunch of pecan sticks for the cooking purposes. But, if you want a hot fire, mesquite in my experience has been the way to go
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options
    blind99 said:

I cooked a lot of pizzas this summer. It's probably the only time I clean every last bit of ash and old charcoal out. If I didn't have really good airflow i also would stall. I like to cook them around 650 but there are people here who cook at lower temps too. Pizza is my favorite thing to cook on the egg, but I'm just a grasshopper.

@Grillmagic‌ cooks a lot of great looking pies, maybe he/she can chime in.

Let me start by saying I don't care what method you use to cook your pizza on as long as you enjoy the results, for me it's the big green egg, I can roast grill smoke or bake any number of things. As for pizza it's the best pizza oven I have ever worked off of and I started making pizzas 42 years ago, I worked in the top pizza shop in my area in 19 72,73 and 74 and since then only make pizzas for myself friends and family which is 5 to 6 times a month, I go indirect platesetter legs up grate then Sonoma and Williams's pizza Q which raises the pizza stone a couple inches above the felt at 550 dome, I use a 12 inch pizza dough from my local pizza store and roll it out so the crust is 14/15 inch crust (we like thin crust) and put it on a pizza screen and build it and put it in the BGE for 10 minutes spinning it one time before I take it off the screen and cook it on the pizza stone until it's done generally 18 minutes total. This works well for me cooking the top and the bottom to golden brown. There is a learning curve to making pizzas and once you figure it out you will be rewarded with great pies. Here are a few photos from past cooks.
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Thanks for the info @Grillmagic‌ those are some fine looking pies!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • SoCalWJS
    SoCalWJS Posts: 407
    Options
    I've never had an issue getting my Egg(s) up to temp.

Make sure you have a clean Egg for airflow
    Make sure there is plenty of fuel
    Make sure you allow enough time
    Make sure bottom vent is wide open and no daisy wheel on top

I've had my first BGE to insane temps (well past "pegged" - past the 750 mark, back around to the 250-300 area). High temps very easy for me.
    South SLO County
  • westernbbq
    Options
    XC242 said:
    This is the one I cooked in the oven. image

The one I tried to cook in the egg wasn't worth a photo. It figures the first time I try to make a pizza on my egg is also the first time it wouldn't come up to temp. Tried all the tricks but just could'nt get the egg past 425. Oh well, it'll go better next time.
    here's one of the ones I made fri nite.  the shape is messed up but the za was exquisite!  I was frustrated at first, burn bottoms, incomplete tops, and then an inability to make the dough caused me to ALMOST give up.  then with practice, this little experiment turned into a pretty cool hobby that friends and family love me to prepare for them on a semi -regular basis.  fun stuff and making pizza is probably my favorite thing to do on the BGE now, besides NY Strips, twice baked potatoes, slow-smoked pork shoulder, slow smoked brisket, smoked turkey, whole roasted chicken, seared scallops, lobster tails, shrimp, pecan pie, roasted corn, salmon filets, and well, you all get the idea....