Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Okay fellow Eggheads. Got the Mini Max, need advice on a stainless steel table and cover for it

Options
Picked up my Mini Max on Friday.  What my plans are right now is to get a stainless steel table on casters that I can leave out on my patio.  I have an XL in the nest and this table would serve as a home for my Max to sit on as well as a prep table while cooking.  Does this sound feasible?  Is there a certain type of stainless that will endure the weather better?

Also, I was interested in knowing if anybody has had any luck in finding a cover for the Mini Max?  
Steve 
XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    I went with this
    imageimage
    Took about 5-10 minutes to unbox and assemble. It is plenty sturdy for the MM I placed a 18x18 tile under the nest to just help with heat deflection at higher temps. Picked the cart up at Sam's Club cheaper than Amazon.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    My bad. Just reread the OP. A SS table for prep also.
    Amazon has a boat load of these sort of NSF SS tables. Key words "stainless steel prep table with casters".
    Sam's also had a couple to choose from. Same with BJs or other warehouse shopping type places. Restaurant Depot. Or CL will occasionally have decent stuff.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options

I picked this tool cart up from costco for $90 this weekend. Its sturdy and has a drawer so I can hide more egg stuff. I was using the drawer as a work space this weekend. The MM fits in the stand also but not with the mini up there.

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    ^^^^Sweet @Lit‌
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Thanks for the response and help Husker and Lit.

Will the stainless table be fine outdoors in the elements?  I guess I could roll it into the patio if it's not being used.  But ideally, I would like to leave it outdoors on the patio with the covered Mini on it.
    Steve 

• Grillin_beers
    Options
    @lit and @NPHuskerFL‌ those are some sweet setups.
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • dcc
    dcc Posts: 90
    Options
    image Not Stainless, but I'm really happy with my Challenger Carts. Lots of storage and prep space. The one the minimax is on is a bar unit. I can move the mini over to the LBGE table if I want to use it as a bar. The carts are completely weather sealed on the inside. When I blow the leaves and crud off the patio, none of the crud gets in the tables. Not cheap though
    Houston (Clear Lake) TX
    2 LBGE, 1 Mini-Max

• YEMTrey
    Options
    Some nice looking setups here.

Think I'm leaning towards a stainless steel table that I will roll in and out of my enclosed patio. Without it being covered this time of year, there would be no way of getting frozen ice off of it.  It'll be just as easy to store it inside and be able to store the Mini Max on it and out of the elements as well.

Thanks guys.  Great cooking areas y'all have!
    Steve 

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Sams has the one you are looking at as well as this one. I will move the Mini off so I get my prep table back. image
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• fannin
    fannin Posts: 18
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I was also wondering about a cover. Would a large dome cover, cover up the mini max like it fits over the Mini?

• dcc
    dcc Posts: 90
    Options
    Just got back from a Sams run.  They have a stainless steel cart now that would work fine for 120.  The dome covers are nice.  My eggs stay under a covered patio so I haven't been in a hurry to pick them up yet.
    Houston (Clear Lake) TX
    2 LBGE, 1 Mini-Max

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Lit said:

I picked this tool cart up from costco for $90 this weekend. Its sturdy and has a drawer so I can hide more egg stuff. I was using the drawer as a work space this weekend. The MM fits in the stand also but not with the mini up there.

@Lit, what did you do with the egg carrier or can you but it without it? If so, is it cheaper that way? I like the tool cabinet idea.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • hercnav
    Options
    I purchased my SS Cart from Amazon, and the cover is the BGE Large Dome (which works pretty well).

Large BGE, Mini Max
  • YEMTrey
    Options
    Heading out tomorrow morning to a restaurant supply store to look at some stainless tables.  Hopefully they have something that will work out.

Thanks for the pic of the large dome cover.  That looks like it will work perfectly.
    Steve 

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    @ladenack69 I have the MM carrier I just put it on the bottom shelf with the mini carten. I went back to Costco and they had dropped the price to $59 so I got my $30 back. If you look at the first picture you can see the carrier down below.
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Bump... Pic update ;)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • YEMTrey
    Options
    Bump... Pic update ;)
    Haha, thanks!  I'll get one posted in the next couple of days if it ever stops raining.
    Steve 

• YEMTrey
    Options
    As promised. So happy with it.  Even a little peek at the windows that I put in the screened in patio this summer.  This is becoming my favorite spot in the house.
    Steve 

• YEMTrey
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Got to spend some time playing around with the Mini Max this afternoon.  Gonna be a nice compliment to my XL and it's going to get it's share of the cooks. 

Some things I've discovered:

1.  This thing gets to temp quickly!  I only used one starter block and the Mini Max was up to temp and ready to cook within a couple minutes.  This was with fresh Ozark Oak.

2.  The woo with stone will more than likely be the best bet for indirect cooking. While messing around with temps I put the platesetter in and it seemed to choke out the ability to get crazy hot.  It took awhile to get up to higher temps and didn't seem like it would max out.  There's not a whole lot of space between the platesetter and the fire ring, thus looking like it cuts off some airflow.

3.  The grid accommodates quite a bit of food.  I cooked six burgers on it tonight and wasn't scrunched for space at all.

4.  I'm getting used to the weight of the Mini Max.  Getting it around with no problem anymore.

All in all I really like this addition.  It will allow me to do more weeknight, quick cooks, especially this time of year.  It's a great little cooker.
    Steve 

• YEMTrey
    Options
    Anybody buy the Large dome cover and use it for their Mini Max yet?

Getting ready to order it and was interested in some feedback.  Thanks!
    Steve 

• CincyTiki
    Options
    I have the Large Dome cover on my MiniMax. Seems fine, covers it well. I am off work this week, PM me if you want to stop by and see how it fits.
    Gerry
    Enjoying life in Cincinnati, Ohio - Large BGE & MiniMax BGE
  • CincyTiki
    Options
    Meant to add the pic :)
    image.jpg 1017.1K
    Enjoying life in Cincinnati, Ohio - Large BGE & MiniMax BGE
  • YEMTrey
    Options
    Perfect.   Thanks for the offer and posting the pic.  Just ordered one for myself.  Enjoy your time off work!
    Steve 

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    YEMTrey said:

As promised. So happy with it.  Even a little peek at the windows that I put in the screened in patio this summer.  This is becoming my favorite spot in the house.

What is that thing to the right of your table?
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    @YEMTray ... what brand/model did you buy?  Does it also come with wheels?  Are you going to leave it outside?  Worried about rust/corrosion? Cover?

I finally decided to stay with the nest (have a nest handler coming on Friday) rather than convert to an egg table.  But, I see a need for a table top to stage stuff while cooking.  It needs to stay outside in the mid-west.  Your new table looks ideal if it has a wheel option.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• YEMTrey
    Options
    thetrim said:
    What is that thing to the right of your table?
    @thetrim, haha, lol.  That's ye olde gasser.  My wife and son won't touch the Eggs, so if I'm out of town for work and they want to grill, they use it.  It'll probably remain on the property, but be removed from the patio.  Trying to find a good place to move it to that they can still access it.
    Steve 

• YEMTrey
    Options
    @YEMTray ... what brand/model did you buy?  Does it also come with wheels?  Are you going to leave it outside?  Worried about rust/corrosion? Cover?

I finally decided to stay with the nest (have a nest handler coming on Friday) rather than convert to an egg table.  But, I see a need for a table top to stage stuff while cooking.  It needs to stay outside in the mid-west.  Your new table looks ideal if it has a wheel option.
    @Jeepster47, yes, I bought the casters for it.  However, with the casters on the table it raised it about 8 inches.  I really like the height without them so they're sitting in a box right now.  
    I have no experience with stainless steel and being outdoors.  However, I'm not going to risk it. Currently looking for a 40x30 cover to put on the table when not in use.  My OCD has got to keep everything looking new!
    Steve 

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    YEMTrey said:
    @Jeepster47, yes, I bought the casters for it.  However, with the casters on the table it raised it about 8 inches.  I really like the height without them so they're sitting in a box right now.  
    I have no experience with stainless steel and being outdoors.  However, I'm not going to risk it. Currently looking for a 40x30 cover to put on the table when not in use.  My OCD has got to keep everything looking new!
    @YEMTrey ... does it look like you could shorten the legs to accommodate the wheels?  Suspect the bottom of the legs have the threaded adapter permanently installed, but maybe the top of the leg can be cut off.

What was the brand of the table? Where from?  Would hate to order what looks like yours, and then, end up with a Harbor Freight version.

OCD ... naw ... there are just folks like us and slobs in this world.  Oh, BTW, your computer incorrectly changed CDO (orderly spelling) to OCD (sloppy letter arrangement).

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• YEMTrey
    Options
    I'll find the website for the store (local) and post the link.
    Steve 

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Lookin at everyone's setup and realized I'm slummin it.  

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA