Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Serving size for pulled Pork Butt Sandwiches for 25 adults

Options
I volunteered to provide the main meat course for a family Xmas party in two weeks. There will appetizers served two hours prior to serving the pork butt. How many lbs of pork butt should I cook for 25 adults?

Comments

• Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options

If your family appetizers are like mine, no one will be hungry when the pork comes out, and it won't matter much.

In reality I would cook 2 @ 8-9 lbs each ( the only size I can get around here).  You will have leftovers, but one at that size is not enough.  If you can get smaller, I would do about 12-13 lbs precooked weight total.  More is better than less, and leftover PP is great in tacos, cubans, or all by itself

XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • Beavercreek_Smoker
    Options
    I did 2 butts for a total weight of about 17 pounds for a family vacation dinner. 18 adults and 3 kids, no leftovers at all. But no one went hungry either. Mind you, that was dinner with a couple of sides. Not a lot of munching before hand. I've always heard about a pound a head because you lose about 40% of weight to rendering while the long smoke. You should be fine with 2 butts with all the other stuff family brings (unless your family are like starving cave men like my family lol).
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Normally I find an 8 pound raw butt yields 9 cups of pulled pork. Then a packed half cup of pulled pork is considered the amount of a normal adult sandwich. Furthermore teenagers will eat 3 sandwiches, men 2, women and children 1. HTH
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Options
    Don't use big buns, use slider buns for less waste.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Don't use big buns, use slider buns for less waste.

what you got something against the Kardashians?
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,361
    Options
    I would go with at least 20 lbs. Like others said it renders down almost half on a fatty butt. Me, Id go about 25 at least unless there was alot of other food.
    Jacksonville FL