Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hot smoking salmon question

Going to do my first attempt at this today- how many chips do you all use? I'm going to cook at 180 for 3 hrs or so- right? Any other suggestions?
Greensboro, NC

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    edited December 2014
    If I have some small pieces of pecan (or alder-which I only buy if I see a run of salmon on the horizon) then I toss a few in the LBGE but not much.  Don't know the quantity of salmon you plan to hot smoke but I go til the thickest part of the filet is around 135*F then I'm there.  Usually around 50-70 mins on a decent thickness piece with around 220*F on the dome.  You will likely have to pay close attention (SWMBO eggscape time:)) to maintain around 180*F.  But it can be done with only an initial small fire volume.  FWIW-and good luck.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    I usually cook salmon fillets raised direct on my medium egg with a handful of alder chips that have been soaked in water.  Depending on thickness, it might take as little as 6-8 minutes per side to be done.  (Go State!)
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    edited December 2014
    I assume you are going to brine it first.  Your time and temp sound right.  I do it on  my small,  I bury a chunk or two of apple in the lump, and throw chips on top right before I put the fish in.  Like everything else, wait till the initial white smoke clears.  I keep the temp below 200.

You're gonna love it!

XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551

Here is the filet after being in the brine for 16 hrs.

After drying uncovered in the fridge for approx 12 hrs.

After smoking over apple chips for approx 3 hrs at 180

And the above was the wife and I opening to take a small taste test. This was really good- guess I'm going to have to make more for the holidays. I followed the naked whiz recipe and really liked it.
    Greensboro, NC
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    @Cookinbob and @Wolfpack - your salmon looks great! I need to give that a try soon. That would be a real treat over the holidays. 
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,453
    edited December 2014
    getting that 'your comment will be posted after approval' nonsense again. just saving this for now, then use 'edit' to do the real posting, here we go.

Edit: adding everything below...

My go to recipe/method for hot smoked salmon:

Most recent attempt:
    Smoked at 170F for 10 hours, we like it dry:
    canuckland