Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thank you SGH!!!

Options

Did pork butt burnt ends tonight and wife kept saying "these are good, these are really good!"  5 year old granddaughter said "Papaw cooked good!" I have to agree with them.  But the pieces with the bark on them are bite size pieces of heaven.  I'll call this a success.

At 160, cubed, panned and getting ready to go get the BGE love.image

After 2.5 hours more 350 and they finally decided to get tender.  image

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    Gonna do this. My butcher has 5# butts all the time. Nice cook
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Nice to see you here...I used your broth on ribeye sandwiches last night.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Nice. I do this with country style ribs as long as they are cut from the butt. Pulled pork in 90 minutes!
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Brother I'm glad that you enjoyed them. My family actually prefers the pork burnt ends over the more traditional beef ones. I have to say that yours looks spectacular. If I may sir:

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    And I forgot to say, you are more than welcome my friend.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    These look tasty. After they were cubed, did you cook on the egg covered or uncovered? Did @SGH‌ have a thread on these? More details please.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • SGH
    Options
    If I may ask, did you use any kind of sauce? If so, what? Sometimes I use sauce sometimes I do not. Just depends on my mood at the time.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    stemc33 said:

These look tasty. After they were cubed, did you cook on the egg covered or uncovered? Did @SGH‌ have a thread on these? More details please.

I did not post a thread, but I responded to someone asking about a alternative to point meat be used for burnt ends. I explained how I did it with pork shoulder. They turn out excellent if you like pork.

Status- Standing by.

• stemc33
    Options
    SGH said:
    I did not post a thread, but I responded to someone asking about a alternative to point meat be used for burnt ends. I explained how I did it with pork shoulder. They turn out excellent if you like pork.

So how are they done?
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Dave in Florida
    Options
    @stemc33...I prepped normal like I was doing pulled pork.  No injection, nothing but my rub and  cooked at 350 dome until IT of 160.  Cubed and put into a pan and added my family favorite sauce 50/50 mix of Blues Hog Original and Sonny's Sweet.  You would think it is going to be to sweet but it's not, great favor.  Then back onto the BGE, still at 350, uncovered until they get tender.  These took about 2 hours more on the egg.  I did check on them every 1/2 hour and gave them a stir. No reason other than I wanted to check on them, get a good color and test for tenderness.

• SGH
    Options

Thanks for finding that and saving me from re typing!!

Status- Standing by.

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    @SGH‌ my pleasure brother Scottie.
  • SGH
    Options
    @SGH‌ my pleasure brother Scottie.

You are to kind my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• stemc33
    Options
    Thanks guys. Site bookmarked for the future.
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • SGH
    Options
    stemc33 said:
    Thanks guys. Site bookmarked for the future.

Hope that you enjoy them as much as we do brother Stem.

Status- Standing by.

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Think I'm going to do this Christmas Eve but with APL Melting Garlic instead of BBQ sauce. Maybe a trial run or two before then to make sure i have it down would be in order as well. Thanks for the reminder.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    Glad you posted here! My Facebook is goobered up and cannot find it on there anymore!!!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Dave in Florida
    Options
    SGH said:
    If I may ask, did you use any kind of sauce? If so, what? Sometimes I use sauce sometimes I do not. Just depends on my mood at the time.
    Well that depends.  While I was cutting the meat I could not resist the smell and seeing the juices oozing out of the cubes anymore and had to taste it.  Then cubed some more, tasted some more, OMG it was so good un-sauced.  Then I did a 50/50 mix of Blues Hog Original and Sonny's Sweet sauce, mixed it in and then caramelized it in the egg. 

• Dave in Florida
    Options
    Think I'm going to do this Christmas Eve but with APL Melting Garlic instead of BBQ sauce. Maybe a trial run or two before then to make sure i have it down would be in order as well. Thanks for the reminder.
    Melting garlic sure got my attention!

• SGH
    Options
    SGH said:
    Well that depends.  While I was cutting the meat I could not resist the smell and seeing the juices oozing out of the cubes anymore and had to taste it.  Then cubed some more, tasted some more, OMG it was so good un-sauced.  Then I did a 50/50 mix of Blues Hog Original and Sonny's Sweet sauce, mixed it in and then caramelized it in the egg. 

I like it both ways as well. I'm glad that you tried it both sauced and unsauced. There are times that I just let it ride and use no sauce at all. Again I'm glad that you enjoyed them my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• MaskedMarvel
    Options
    Gotta try this!! Mind adding the Melting Garlic recipe to this thread? Fantastic!!
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• SGH
    Options

Gotta try this!! Mind adding the Melting Garlic recipe to this thread? Fantastic!!

Give them a try my friend. I think that you will like them.

Status- Standing by.