Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Vegetarian Egger

Options
FatDog
FatDog Posts: 164
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
OK, I'm not exactly a vegetarian yet but may be headed that way. My doctor (for hypertension) suggests that I cut out all red (translate that to "good") meats including beef and pork. Looks like I'll be headed to the land of chicken and fish ... good for me those work well on the egg.[p]Today, I have committed the utlimate heresy, but have come up with something works well for both my diet and the egg - tofu. I used extra firm organic tofu, cut it into 1" cubes and dusted it with whatever rub I had on hand. Smoked it over hickory at 275 degrees for about 45 minutes. The last five minutes, I coated with a standard sugary style bbq sauce. Mighty good stuff.[p]If you are doing any particular diet with special requirements, share!

Comments

• FatDog,
    How did you cook it? What kind of pan?
    I would love to learn how to use tofu better...

• Snowman
    Snowman Posts: 22
    Options
    P1260021.jpg
    <p />FatDog,
    I'm by no means a vegetarian but I tried these kabobs the other night and they turned out great. Just cut up some boneless skinless chicken breasts and veggies, brushed with some olive oil and shook some John Henry's Mojave Garlic pepper on some and some DP Jamaican Firewalk on some and they both were great. It took 20 minutes or so at around 300 dome temp direct. Sorry for the lousy pic quality, I hadn't figured my camera out at that time.[p]Jason

• FatDog
    FatDog Posts: 164
    Options
    KK,
    I cut the the tofu into approximately 1" cubes, sprinkled with my pork butt rub and let sit in the 'fridge for about 24 hours. Put the cubes on a perforated grid (like you do veggies or fish on). Set the egg to about 300 and cooked the tofu for about 40 minutes total, turning every 10 minutes. During the last 10 minutes, I basted the cubes with my BBQ sauce. Note that the cubes will shrink substantially. These are pretty good and I'll be experimenting with other marinades, etc. to see what I can do.

• Banker John
    Options
    FatDog,
    Below is a soup recipe that is vegetarian friendly and provides complete protien with no meat. THe post is under the heading "Vegetable Bean Barley Soup." The soup is a very thick & hearty soup.[p]Banker John