Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Trucks / SUV's

Options

Comments

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    @Dobie‌ sounds like you are in the daytona/smyrna area? Just guessing by the drive on the beach comment. You should easily be able to pull any bay boat with just about any v6 2wd truck. Flats boats and skiffs are both really light boats.
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,361
    Options
    @Lit‌ I'm in Jacksonville and have been limited with my 2W Grand Cherokee and this time will go 4X
    Jacksonville FL
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options

I've been a Toyota fan since I dumped Ford in 2003. If you are doing a fair amount of towing you're probably better off with a diesel which Toyota doesn't offer. With that said I would still buy the Toyota for myself. I don't think there is a truck out there that holds its value better, at least with the Tacoma, which I own two of, a 2003 and a 2014. The 2014 has a towing capacity of 6500 lbs.

You can get pretty nice, top of the line Tacoma for close to $35,000.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    With rear wheel drive, if you put your parking brake on it can help getting out of a slippery slip by acting as a limited slip differential.  So I hear, I've done it and never had problems.
    Options
    Aloha
    Haave had a GMC since 2003.....but after much checking it came down to either a Ford F 150 or a Toyota.  The Toyota Sport won out.  Very satisfied and a proud owner.

Aloha from the Sandwich Islands.
  • Dobie
    Options

I've been a Toyota fan since I dumped Ford in 2003. If you are doing a fair amount of towing you're probably better off with a diesel which Toyota doesn't offer. With that said I would still buy the Toyota for myself. I don't think there is a truck out there that holds its value better, at least with the Tacoma, which I own two of, a 2003 and a 2014. The 2014 has a towing capacity of 6500 lbs.

You can get pretty nice, top of the line Tacoma for close to $35,000.

I want a big cab since Im used to a SUV plus Im 6'3 and 250 lbs.
    Jacksonville FL
  • Dobie
    Options
    galen said:
    Aloha
    Haave had a GMC since 2003.....but after much checking it came down to either a Ford F 150 or a Toyota.  The Toyota Sport won out.  Very satisfied and a proud owner.

Aloha from the Sandwich Islands.

Toyota and Ford are pretty much on my radar but wanted to reach out to the brotherhood to consider more options and get real feedback.
    Jacksonville FL
  • Dobie
    Options
    Thanks for all those who replied. Keep em' coming.
    Jacksonville FL
  • NCSmoky
    NCSmoky Posts: 515
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Bought this in July $34K out the door. My first pickup and have been very pleased so far. I think sticker mileage was 17/21 but have not done any real world testing. 4x4 with the off-road towing package (larger alternator and transmission cooler) and locking differential. Can only get short bed option with Off-road package so that should meet your criteria.
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Our company has probably 200+ ford products. They have for years. Around 75 years to be exact. Me personally over the last 13 years with the company have driven all kinds. In the past few years I've had my own given to me. I've had 250 diesels, 250 gassers,150 tritons, 150 with 4.6 and now I have the ecoboost like I said earlier. It's the reason my personal truck is a ford. We have some trucks runnin around with 300,000 miles on them. I am biased but they are good trucks. I just don't like the ecoboost. It does have some pep to it that's for sure. For example if your going 15 mph and punch it hold on. The turbo kicks in and look out. However that turbo doesn't do anything off the line. I have 2 friends that are tundra guys and they love their trucks but good grief they are terrible on gas. Off the line that truck is sick. First time I rode in it I was like holy **** what did you do to this thing. His reply. Nothing. My neighbor has a new 1500 dodge. Great gas mileage (22mpg) and pulls 2 ton of stone plus trailer like a champ. I just don't like the inside of the truck. Everything else is legit. On a side note I wouldn't take a gm product if u
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    I know the newer trucks have great gas mileage.  More so than my year model.  I have a 2002 Dodge Ram w/ 360 and per the onboard computer I only get around 13mpg.  

Getting ready to turn 60k on it right now!  It pulls well.  Pulls my tandem with two zero turns loaded with trimmers and blowers no problem.  

The thing is pulling is one thing, getting it to stop is another.  

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,610
    Options
    Dobie said:
     @Legume‌ whch ecoboost motor do you have? How many miles on it now and any maintenance issues?
    it's a 3.5L twin turbo, but I think that's the only one they've put in the f150.  I know there are many engines badged as ecoboost so I would never judge that label as a group, I don't think they were developed together, Ford just branded them all ecoboost but they have their own lineage.  You have to look at the performance/reliability of the one in the car/truck you're looking at.  For instance, I know they also put a 3.5 eco in the Flex, but it's setup differently - performance specs are different.  I don't know a lot about engines, many more experts here than I.  From what I've read, mine has twin turbochargers setup so that you're always getting some boost.  One kicks in right away - very low rpm and the other kicks in higher, but I have no idea where.  I've had no problems with the engine at all, but I know from months of research on forums, etc., some people have had problems with hesitation, poor mileage, loss of power.  Not many people that are happy/no problems are posting that on forums (except here), so I have no idea what the rate of real problems to happy customers is.  The only problem I have had is with the transmission electronics - twice while in for service I've had them reset it to factory so it goes through it's learning cycle again.  After a while it tends to shift hard when going slow/slowing down and then hitting the gas (eg light is red and turns green as you're approaching).  I could probably solve this with a 3rd party tune, but I'm under extended warranty and don't really want to go to the trouble.

On a road trip I can get 20 mpg if I stay under 65, drive conservatively and am not hauling anything.  Reality is I get 17-18 on a road trip and 17 around town.  I did better when I first got it because I was obsessing with the mpg but now I'm back to my normal and I tend toward a heavier foot.

I have ~ 65k on it.  Hope this helps.
  • fusionhq
    fusionhq Posts: 1,707
    Options
    I have a 6.7L Diesel, F-350 Ford (2011) and love it...will probably trade for a new one sometime next year.

I get 20mpg, and I don't baby it.  I can also tow anything out there.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,741
    Options
    been sitting in the same dodge dakota convertible since 1989
    :D if i bought a new truck again it would be dodge but the prices are scary high. if i bought an suv it would be a toyota fj cruiser from a woman that parks it in a garage the day before they hear its gonna snow. my only problem with toyota is that the frames rot out in about 10 years up here from all the salt they put on the roads in winter, the good thing is that toyota replaces the frames free. dodges new 6 cylinder high hp gas engine gets 25 mph supposedly
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    No love for the Sierra here huh?  Never owned a truck, but I am looking at getting one in the next couple of months.  I am just starting to do my research, but I really like the looks of the new Sierras over the Fords.  
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Little Steven
    Options
    :D if i bought a new truck again it would be dodge but the prices are scary high. if i bought an suv it would be a toyota fj cruiser from a woman that parks it in a garage the day before they hear its gonna snow. my only problem with toyota is that the frames rot out in about 10 years up here from all the salt they put on the roads in winter, the good thing is that toyota replaces the frames free. dodges new 6 cylinder high hp gas engine gets 25 mph supposedly
    There was a recall on mine and they inspected it. My SIL is a service manager at a dealership. If I had had any problems at all they would have installed a new frame (believe it or not). They have a lifetime coating they put on the frames now. Mine is an '08 and not a speck of rust on it. Pretty sure we're on about the same salt content.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    fusionhq said:

I have a 6.7L Diesel, F-350 Ford (2011) and love it...will probably trade for a new one sometime next year.

I wanted that truck bad. But settled for a 150 with the 5.4. Don't regret it but man I'd love a new 6.7 f250. Just don't want the payment. Lol.

@Dobie‌ I wish I could help but seeing how they quit making the 5.4 i can't really give first hand advise. If you're looking to keep a truck longer than the warranty I'd stay away from the 3.5 ecoboost. The main issue owners are having is on real humid hot days and while towing at the upper levels of the trucks ability the inter cooler builds up with condensation and locks up the turbos. This is bad. What's worse is ford is being **** about it. I love my 2009 fx4. But as I said it's got the old gas hog motor (that last forever). GM had a great motor in the LS series (5.3/6.0) but the new models are having issues with their new fuel injection system. Here again GM is being **** and ignoring it.--this info came straight from GM dealer mechanics. Hope that helps.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • TheShaytoon
    Options
    I tow my boat all over the country.  Have an F250 (4x4), a 4-Runner (4x4), and an FJ Cruiser (4x2)...

When we go anywhere with the boat, the truck stays home.  I like having somewhere secure to put all the crap that we take.

Just pulled the boat from Dallas to Tampa, 1100 miles, with the FJ Cruiser, once we got there we all appreciated the fact that we didn't have to take everything out of the bed and put it in the cab. I will say that the tank on the FJ is too small for towing.  Had to stop too often. 

If I had to get another tow vehicle, NOT EVEN A QUESTION... a 4 Runner.  Runs on Regular gas, so it's cheaper at the gas pump. We get 18 mpg in Dallas.  Comfortable...and right at your price point. 

I have a very hard time engaging in passive relaxation. Twitter.Instagram.
    Dallas, TX

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,741
    Options
    There was a recall on mine and they inspected it. My SIL is a service manager at a dealership. If I had had any problems at all they would have installed a new frame (believe it or not). They have a lifetime coating they put on the frames now. Mine is an '08 and not a speck of rust on it. Pretty sure we're on about the same salt content.
    they're adding something to the rock salt down here, dads truck, uncles, and a friends all have new frames, the rear end diff on dads truck has a hole rusted right thru and the cover is a weldon instead of bolt on, oil pans, tranny pans all rust. toyota has the worst frames for whatever reason though, i remember a neighbor getting a new truck back in the 80's from toyota because of the excessive frame rot. what ever they are using burns as well, the dog flips over on his back with all four paws up just crossing the road, so far noones complained with me letting him run thru their yards on the way to the trails
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,610
    Options
    @Jeremiah I've heard that about the 3.5 as well, never experienced but there are some horror stories out there on f150 forum - but no idea about the sample size.  Seems like you get a problem one or not - same with mileage, some people say they can only get 12-13.  I haven't looked in a while - but when I start to get close to end of my warranty, I'm going to look more to decide if I need to get out or not.  I will say that ford's standard warranty is crap and too much going on in new engines to not cover yourself beyond 3 years.  I had a 2003 Expedition with the 5.4 for 165k miles and absolutely loved that engine, never a problem with it at all.
  • ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    For me...if buying a gasser there isn't a ton of difference in the three American trucks. Comes down to opinion. All are really good and all have been making them for many decades longer than the Japanese trucks. If diesel is your preference then dodge...hands down. It's the only true diesel in consumer vehicles these days...Not a converted gasser. Remember these are my opinions based on facts. No offense is intended. My Chevy Silverado 2WD has pulled my 19 ft boat for over 100k miles and is still going strong.
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • Little Steven
    Options
    ksmyrl said:
    For me...if buying a gasser there isn't a ton of difference in the three American trucks. Comes down to opinion. All are really good and all have been making them for many decades longer than the Japanese trucks. If diesel is your preference then dodge...hands down. It's the only true diesel in consumer vehicles these days...Not a converted gasser. Remember these are my opinions based on facts. No offense is intended. My Chevy Silverado 2WD has pulled my 19 ft boat for over 100k miles and is still going strong.
    I don't even think Toyota sells pickups in Japan. They are made in and for North America.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• fusionhq
    Options
    @Jeremiah I wish the payment wasn't what it is, but I spend as much, if not more time in my truck than I do at home, so it's important to me that I'm at least comfortable.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    fusionhq said:

@Jeremiah I wish the payment wasn't what it is, but I spend as much, if not more time in my truck than I do at home, so it's important to me that I'm at least comfortable.

Hey no judgement here. As soon as I can swing it, I'm stepping up to the 6.7.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • fusionhq
    Options
    @Jeremiah it's a bad summabitch.
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    Options
    ksmyrl said:
    I don't even think Toyota sells pickups in Japan. They are made in and for North America.
    Exactly right......built down in San Antonio as a matter of fact and at least when I bought my Tundra, had more American made parts than any other truck on the market. somewhere north of 85%.  The last two "American" trucks I owned were built in Canada and Mexico respectively.   

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    Options
    No love for the Sierra here huh?  Never owned a truck, but I am looking at getting one in the next couple of months.  I am just starting to do my research, but I really like the looks of the new Sierras over the Fords. 
    While I do like the look of the newer GM trucks and they seem a little beefier than they used to be, both that I have owned have been nothing but one headache after another mechanically.  One was two years old when I bought it and the other brand new.  The bailouts really soured me too from even considering them last go-round.  I do like their instrumentation panel over the others though.   

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    Options
    13 mpg with an ecoboost!? I run a 5.0 liter f150 and average 15. I can get 16-18 easy but I let it warm up a lot on these cold mornings. You must be a little throttle happy or cruise around the city too much to be owning a truck!
    NW IOWA
  • Dobie
    Options
    @Legume‌ Ford has the 2.7 ecoboost listed on the 15 models but didnt see it offered on the 14 so might be new option. Turbo makes me warry.
    Jacksonville FL
  • Dobie
    Options
    fusionhq said:

Nice but twice the amount of truck I need.
    Jacksonville FL