Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wok talk has gottem me fired (no pun intended) up! Cast iron

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
or stainless, 13", 14", 15" or 16"??? Who recommends what??
Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Natchez Tiger, the prefered wok is carbon steel, a cheapo version. Check link below for woks. For a large egg, get a 16" or 14" wok. [p]You can set the 16" wok in the fire ring, but remember this will limit air flow for the lump. I tried this method a couple times and really did not like it. You can't see the lump so you are only guessing on what the fire is doing. And, I was not about to pick the wok up to look and potentially create a flashback. The fire ring's inside diameter is about 16", so the only avenue for air movement are the gaps between the wok and fire ring.[p]With a 14" wok, you will need something to hold it. Many folks put it on the grid and cook that way. Since, I have the ability to make metal stuff, I fabricated a ring that sits on the fire ring. I drop the wok into the ring and the ring holds the wok a couple inches above the lump. Works for me. [p]Check the forum threads below as others are coming up with new ways to wok. It's all good, just like the food you can make. T[p]

[ul][li]http://www.acemart.com/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=TOWW14[/ul]
  • Charbon
    Charbon Posts: 222
    peking.jpg
    <p />Natchez Tiger,
    This one would fit. It is 13 inch stainless steel "Peking Pan". I bought it for the egg but haven't used it yet as
    at the time a lot of forum members having pyro issues when heating oil over 400 degrees.

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    shrimp.jpg
    <p />Natchez Tiger,
    I like to use my wok to boil shrimp in. Keeps that lingering smell out of the house.[p]Mike

• Natchez Tiger,
    Sandbagger presented me with one of his wok rings while we were in Fredericksburg and suggested that we get a 14" hammered steel wok at a restaurant supply store with a branch office in Houston. $7.49 I think was the price. It came with some instructions about curing it in an oven to turn it dark, which I did and it looks better now. Smelled the house up for a couple of hours. There were also instructions about how to clean it after each cook. I found similar instructions at the web site below along with some recipes and cooking tips. You might want to go there and look around.[p]Be sure to get you some welder's gloves or some really long handled wok tools because the fire coming up the side can get pretty hot. Everything happens quickly so it's not like you can walk away to get a beer or watch TV. [p]I like the idea of cooking and eating woked food and look forward to learning more about it. Then practicing and practicing and practicing. [p]I doubt that the BGE imparts any smokey flavor into the meat and vegetables but I haven't gotten that far along yet. [p]Whatever you decide on if it woks for you (pun intended), go for it.[p]Spring "Haven't Blown Anything Up Yet" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA[p]

[ul][li]Good Wok Site[/ul]
  • Thanks to all for the info, looks like stainless it the way to go. Not sure if I want to use the Egg since it may not give the smoke flavor or rig up one of my butane fish fryers/turkey fryers for woking.
    Sandbaggers lava cooker look like fun!!

• Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    Spring Chicken,[p]You could've, should've cured the wok in the Egg (no lingering smell there)... of course the best way to cure a wok is to just cook with it.[p]Celebrating my 26th year of cooking with the only wok that I've owned, "The Great Wok of China." What a great cooking vessel![p]Puj[p]

• Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Natchez Tiger,
    The "Wizard of Wok" is Sandbagger. Heck, I've even got a Sandbagger Wok Ring....but I don't even have a wok....yet. It's coming, and I can't wait.[p]Mike

• Natchez Tiger,
    If you want a true wok and the wok way of cooking, you must get a hammered wok. The ol thin to thick rusting wok. You will find stainless or cast iron will not get the food hot as the hammered wok. Watch the Chinese cook, you will find only hammered woks in their kitchen. [p]Chef Jerry

• Sandbagger,
    That is the hammered wok I was talking about. I have had one for the past 20 years or more. Easy to clean and one cooking machine. [p]Chef Jerry