Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dwell Counseling

Options
AndyR
AndyR Posts: 130
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Eggers:[p]I need help. I have a fear of "Dwelling" a steak after the intial searing for two reasons:[p]1.) I fear that it will cruise right on past the mid-rare that I like.
2.) What about fumes from improper combustion when you shut down both vents? Does it taint the meat?[p]AndyR

Comments

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    AndyR,[p]The dwell is not necessary if you adjust the cooking times of the sear. Take 1/3 of the dwell time and add it to each sear, then skip the dwell time.[p]Example: Normal sear/dwell timing is sear 4 minutes each side and then dwell for 6 minutes. Eliminate the dwell by searing for 6 minutes each side and remove. [p]This works best with a controlled cooking temp throughout both sears.[p]Spin
  • AndyR, Come on now, give yourself a shake and get over that dwell fear. Seriously though, take Spin's advice and don't dwell (on it.) Once you find out how much time to give each side to achieve your desired results, it will be repeatable. Fumes? What fumes? Should be no fumes. If you don't dwell, there won't be anyway.
    Gord

• Spin
    Options
    Gord,[p]Whenever cooking grease burns on the coals, these fumes are created. The worry is from a claim that these fumes contain a compound that may cause a cancer.[p]I've been searching the archives (1999 is not available) for a post concerning this as a response was made by a person (can't remember who) in the know.[p]Twenty five or so years ago, a scare went out to the public that drinking Pepsi causes cancer. Lab rats were developing cancer when fed Pepsi. A couple of years later it was disclosed that a human would need to drink 6+ liters a day for several months to equal the same amount of Pepsi as the lab rats were fed. As far as I know, Pepsi has yet to cause cancer in humans.[p]This was the gist of the response post concerning fumes.[p]Spin

• Spin, Yea, I know, I was only thinking about the lump and how nice and clean it burns. Just wasn't using my noodle.
    Gord

• Spin
    Options
    Gord,[p]I apologize to you, sir. I tend to post too long. I did use your quite well worded (thanks) post to continue mine.[p]I vow to consume several dwelled steaks and chops with Pepsi (appropriately mixed) as punishment.[p]Spin