Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Outstanding Good Chicken on Mini Max

Options
Mickey
Mickey Posts: 19,674
edited December 2014 in EggHead Forum
First time overnight in a third bottle of this Franks and lemon pepper. Nothing other. Not to hot but warm. imageimageimage
Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    That sounds good and looks better.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited December 2014
    Options
    You're killing me with the MM WOO pics! :))
    The yard bird (spatchcock next?) looks fantastic! Raised grid-n-all. [-O< Hoping the WOO becomes available soon.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Looking good @Mickey
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • AlbertaEgger
    Options
    Looks GREAT, i'll have to try that in the Franks soon. Question on the MM, (that I am still trying to taslk the wife into letting me get one). How long does the lump last on a typical cook, say roughly at ~300? Or a low and slow ~225?
    County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Way to go, @Mickey.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Looks like a winner lunch there.

@NPHuskerFL, the MM Woo is available.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Mickey
    Options
    Looks GREAT, i'll have to try that in the Franks soon. Question on the MM, (that I am still trying to taslk the wife into letting me get one). How long does the lump last on a typical cook, say roughly at ~300? Or a low and slow ~225?

I never cook less than 325 so can't help you. Plenty for any cook I have done.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    Looks good
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    looks good to me, anything with franks is yankee food
    :D ive got some boneless thighs for the weekend for a yankee fried chicken sandwich
    :D
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @DMW‌ thanks for the heads up.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Mickey
    Options
    You're killing me with the MM WOO pics! :)) The yard bird (spatchcock next?) looks fantastic! Raised grid-n-all. [-O< Hoping the WOO becomes available soon.

It's ready. Call Tom.

• sodigthisbigcrux
    Options
    yep, I just ordered the MM Woo...my MiniMax should be here next week!

Taking off to a cabin in Mt. Hood and the MiniMax will be a great companion.
    Battle Ground, WA
    Large BGE,  MiniMax  and a Vision Kub.
    Could you call on Lady Day, could you call on John Coltrane?
  • Spring Chicken
    Options

Looks great Mickey.

It has been a long time since I had some Franks Red Hot.  I like it but we don't eat enough wings around here to make me buy another bottle.  You went and made me want some just like you made it, except for the Chile 'n Lime...!  I've never had it.  In fact, I don't recall ever seeing that on the shelf.  Sounds good though.

But what got my attention first was the way Franks spelled Chile: with an 'e.'  And I recalled reading about the different spellings some years ago and decided to look it up.  Here's what I found:

Chili or Chile? Dispute Never Seems to Cool Off

November 19, 2000|From Associated Press

LAS CRUCES, N.M. — Chili vs. chile.

The war over how to spell New Mexico's most valuable vegetable crop continues to rage for the head of the Chile Pepper Institute at New Mexico State University.

Paul Bosland, director of the institute and the school's chief chile breeder, has been trying for years to get everyone to spell chile--the hot peppers or the plant from which the peppers come--with an "e." He says chili--the spicy dish of meat and sometimes beans--should be spelled with an "i."

"A lot of people argue about it," he said.

The professor reasons that when people ask for the powdered pod, they get chile powder. If they want a bowl of chili, they get a chili powder--a packet of dried spices, including garlic and chile.

The word chile originated from the Aztec word "chil," meaning pepper. Bosland said the Spanish added an "e" to the end of the word to make it a noun in their language.

Advertisements lining the back roads in the lower Rio Grande Valley, where most of New Mexico's peppers are grown, spell it chile. Just across the border in Texas, restaurants advertise their state dish as "chili."

Bosland has heard quite a few arguments against the New Mexico way of spelling chile.

"One person said you can't use c-h-i-l-e because that's the name of a country. That's true, but Turkey seems to have done quite well," he said. "Some say the English spell it c-h-i-l-l-i. Well, they also spell color with a "u."

Webster's Dictionary helps to complicate the matter. It provides three spellings--chili, chile and chilli--that are all defined as either hot peppers or a dish of meat and spices.

The Associated Press uses chili. Norman Goldstein, AP Stylebook editor, says the "i" spelling is more commonly used in most other parts of the nation.

The Los Angeles Times spells the vegetable "chile" and the spicy soup "chili." The sauce made of chile, onion and tomato? Chile sauce.

So, Frank's spelling is correct.  And no amount of arguing will change that fact.

Now I want some wings even more.

Spring "Life Is Too Short To Not Do It Right" Chicken

Spring Texas USA

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @Mickey‌
    The grub looks awesome as always. You are putting that new MM & Woo to good use sir. Just a friendly reminder, have one of those MM's & Woo's boxed up for me at Salado ;)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    "Turkey has done quite well" :))
  • Mickey
    Options
    SGH said:
    @Mickey‌ The grub looks awesome as always. You are putting that new MM & Woo to good use sir. Just a friendly reminder, have one of those MM's & Woo's boxed up for me at Salado ;)

My friend if your luck is as outstanding as your cooking you will be headed East Sunday with one. But if you luck is at all related to your looks on Sunday morning I am sure I will be arranging bail.

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Mickey said:
    SGH said:
    @Mickey‌ The grub looks awesome as always. You are putting that new MM & Woo to good use sir. Just a friendly reminder, have one of those MM's & Woo's boxed up for me at Salado ;)

My friend if your luck is as outstanding as your cooking you will be headed East Sunday with one. But if you luck is at all related to your looks on Sunday morning I am sure I will be arranging bail.

That's a good one!! =))

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Looks mighty tasty, I'm always open to new chicken ideas.You musta got some smokiness from the flaring chicken fat??? You always go direct raised right? The wife is so damn picky with smokiness so ill try it.. but indirect. 
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • Mickey
    Options
    Looks mighty tasty, I'm always open to new chicken ideas.You musta got some smokiness from the flaring chicken fat??? You always go direct raised right? The wife is so damn picky with smokiness so ill try it.. but indirect. 

The smoke you see is no way related to direct (I always do direct raised). I had just added about 6/8 chips of cherry.

• Little Steven
    Options
    Nice cook Mick. Your chicken appears to be cut in half or split. Could you describe the method please?
    :))

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    Looks good Mickey, I'm gonna have to try a bottle of the Chile Lime

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Mickey
    Options
    Nice cook Mick. Your chicken appears to be cut in half or split. Could you describe the method please?
    :))

Wife not into a Egged chicken. Wife bought a whole fresh chicken. I spatched the bird, cut off the entire breast (gave to wife) and cooked the balance for me. Would that be the "keep everyone happy" method? One of the best tasteing parts was the gizzard. Seems to soak up the sauce more overnight.

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    ^^^^^ MaMa Happy=Everybody Happy ;)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • EggObsessed
    Options
    We have been using the Frank's Chile Lime for several years now, and absolutely LOVE it!  It got hard to find for about a year, and, ironically, the only place on the internet I could find it was in England, of all places.  I ordered four bottles and three of them were totally shattered.  The smell was overwhelming when I opened the front door to get the package!  Now, it seems it is readily available at HEB.  We enjoy it on blackened fish tacos with cole slaw.  Will have to try your idea of marinating chicken in it, for sure.  Looks great!
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • Mickey
    Options
    We have been using the Frank's Chile Lime for several years now, and absolutely LOVE it!  It got hard to find for about a year, and, ironically, the only place on the internet I could find it was in England, of all places.  I ordered four bottles and three of them were totally shattered.  The smell was overwhelming when I opened the front door to get the package!  Now, it seems it is readily available at HEB.  We enjoy it on blackened fish tacos with cole slaw.  Will have to try your idea of marinating chicken in it, for sure.  Looks great!

Kelly I went overnight. After I got it ready I was thinking is this just to much. I called @PhotoEgg and ask what he thought of that much pure sauce. His thinking was to cut it some as he had never went that strong. We talked a decided I would only be out $4 if not eatable and we would know. Hay, it worked.

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    When I'm in Salado why do you drag me to a restaurant? I'm not feeling the love.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    That makes me want to come over now instead of waiting for March...

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.