Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Raised direct

Options
What is the difference between raised direct and direct cooking

Comments

• fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,237
    Options
    Raised direct is when you use something to lift the grate higher above the coals, usually near the felt line or above it. There are a number of ways to achieve this. I happen to use 3 fire bricks in my large for a raised direct cook.
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    Both are exposed to open flames, however the raised part means that the cooking grid is further away from the fire or higher in the dome. Let's you cook at hotter temperatures with less risk of burning quickly.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• dihtn
    dihtn Posts: 234
    Options
    fence0407 said:

Raised direct is when you use something to lift the grate higher above the coals, usually near the felt line or above it. There are a number of ways to achieve this. I happen to use 3 fire bricks in my large for a raised direct cook.

Could you please post a photo of this set up? Thanks.
  • fence0407
    Options
    dihtn said:
    Could you please post a photo of this set up? Thanks.
    Sure. Here are a few pics of the 3 fire bricks:

Cumming, GA  

• dihtn
    dihtn Posts: 234
    Options
    Thank you-wanted to see how you balanced the bricks.
  • fence0407
    Options
    @dihtn and @Chetscapes - the 3 fire bricks are one of the cheaper ways. You could also visit www.ceramicgrillstore.com and look at their adjustable rigs. Like I said earlier, there's a 1000 ways to get "raised direct".
    Cumming, GA  

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    I'm using 3 cheap metal angle brackets I found at Lowes. 

Until I get a PSWOO2-CI
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Any bricks will do. They don't have to be fire bricks. Careful with bricks though. If one falls off the ledge, you might wind up with a non-warranty firebox replacement.

Empty beer/soda cans work too. Also, no need for an Adjustable Rig if all you want to do is raise the grid. CGS also sells a Woo for just that purpose. Much less expensive, but it does much less. 

I use carriage bolts as legs for a second grid.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    I use the Woo on my XL.  Here is my custom grid for raised direct on my medium

Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Two_Down
    Options
    @Ragtop99 - Did you fab that? If so, care to share your method?

in Houston, TX

Minimax

MBGE

LBGE

36" BS

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I use two cooking grates. I lay the bricks on top of the bottom cooking grate, then put the bricks on in a triangle configuration, then put a grate on top of the bricks. The bottom cooking grate prevents the bricks from accidentally falling onto the lump.

I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Ragtop99
    Options
    @Two_Down

I wish I had those skills.  

I had it built by this guy:

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    edited December 2014
    Options
    question about cooking chicken raised direct.

Before I owned a BGE, I tried cooking 4 leg quarters once on my gasser.
    I wasn't babysitting it, so when I went out to check on it and turn them over, I discovered I had massive flaming action going on under the hood.  Chicken fat had become an auxiliary fuel source, so regardless of my grills turned down to medium, I was burning dinner.  Needless to say, we had a change in dinner plans that night.

So, I'm guessing that the BGE doesn't have this problem.  With burn rate being controlled by air flow (aka oxygen flow), that the drippings while becoming additional fuel upon landing on the coals, the big flame up can't happen due to oxygen starvation.  You just end up with charcoal & chicken fat being the fuel source.

Can a more experienced Egger comment on my thoughts please?
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    @Zmokin
    You are correct. The egg is an oxygen controlled fire. Same deal with burger drippings.

One thing to note...When you remove the chicken from the grill and shut down the egg, the chicken fat that dripped into the lump will be there for next time. Don't go bake bread or dessert or anything else you don't want to have a smokey flavor with that leftover fuel.

Don't ask me how I know...

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    I used three bricks for a while.

I bought a PSWoo2 from Ceramic Grillworks.  

Both work.
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Skiddymarker
    Options
    @Zmokin - you have it right IMO, until you open the dome..... the fat soaked lump will ignite very quickly once it gets some air. Wether it is a kettle or a kamado, you can limit the air to avoid flare ups much better than with a gasser. 

The down side is the acrid taste that is possible when the fat dripping starts acting like smoke wood. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • News2u
    News2u Posts: 335
    edited December 2014
    Options
    So I am guessing with raised direct, the meat cooks quicker?
    Beef...It's what's for dinner tonight.
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    @News2u‌ faster than indirect and allows higher temps than on the fire ring without burning, or at least easier to keep from burning/scorching.
  • Ragtop99
    Options
    DMW said:
    @Zmokin
    You are correct. The egg is an oxygen controlled fire. Same deal with burger drippings.

One thing to note...When you remove the chicken from the grill and shut down the egg, the chicken fat that dripped into the lump will be there for next time. Don't go bake bread or dessert or anything else you don't want to have a smokey flavor with that leftover fuel.

Don't ask me how I know...

After I pull the chicken or cook anything really fatty, I'll open up the egg and let the fire burn off some of that crap.  2 or 3 minutes at 500 - 600* normally gets rid of the grease that dripped and cleans off the grate too.  
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    @News2u‌ faster than indirect and allows higher temps than on the fire ring without burning, or at least easier to keep from burning/scorching.
    Raised direct doesn't necessarily mean it won't burn.  =)) image

Sorry, Mickey. ;)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,836
    Options
    Raised direct gives a great and even cook as the meat gets radiant heat without getting directly burned by flames.  Chicken skin does particularly well with this at 375-400.  When the grid is lower, whatever is facing down has a tendency to get charred and cook unevenly depending on where the flare-ups occur. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• News2u
    News2u Posts: 335
    Options
    Point well taken, Michael.

Beef...It's what's for dinner tonight.
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    News2u said:
    Point well taken, Michael.

I was just jerkin' Mickey's chain. :)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    Raised direct doesn't necessarily mean it won't burn.  =)) image

Sorry, Mickey. ;)

this pic is the reason for the qualifier at the end. Anybody can make chicken charcoal.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    @Carolina Q‌ I was thinking the same thing.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    @Mickey‌ in hindsight I didn't phrase that very well. I don't think about this myth that you can't burn stuff on the egg. Just doesn't make any sense to me.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited December 2014
    Options
    @Chetscapes‌-Direct= Grid is directly on the fire ring. image Raised Direct= Grid is raised or elevated to gasket level or higher. image Direct does well for searing and very short cooks. Examples- Searing steaks, thin pork chops, kabobs, skewered shrimp etc, etc..... Things that will be cooked very fast or just seared. Raised direct is great for longer cooks as it helps prevent scorching. Examples- Spatchcocked chicken, thicker chops, cedar planked salmon etc.... Raised direct also makes it much easier to access your food.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    @Mickey‌ in hindsight I didn't phrase that very well. I don't think about this myth that you can't burn stuff on the egg. Just doesn't make any sense to me.

My friend if adult beverages and a nap are involved anything can happen :-??
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Raised direct is a great option as stated above. I used bricks from Home Depot for a while to go raised but after one fell in the fire and clanked on my firebox when I was adding wood chips, I decided maybe I should try something that wouldn't damage my egg. I made a couple of these out of Weber grates and stainless bolts, nuts, and washers for a few bucks from Home Depot. I think the stainless grid for $6 (was on closeout) and the hardware cost me $8 or something like that. (Please pardon the spatchcock chicken still stuck to the grid) The nice thing about this one is that it's still small enough that I can cook on two levels (nice for apps like ABTs and wings) on my MBGE with the platesetter in place or I can just put it on top of the stock grid for raised direct. I would like to have a Woo for my MBGE but I get by with this just fine. Hope this helps.

L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!