Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Olive oil vs. canola oil

Options
Which is the better choice for coating meats prior to adding spices. Why?

X-Large BGE, DigiQ, ThermaQ (Blue), CyberQ, Joetissirie, UltraQ, (ex.FlameBoss 200)

Highland Village, TX

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    for adding spice i dont think it matters but ive never done that. for frying olive oil tastes heavey and horrible. i would stick with canola for cooking and olive oil for drizzling after the cook or as the cook finishes up
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • bodski
    bodski Posts: 463
    Options
    I'm not an oil expert, but I tend to use canola oil in high heat situations. It's very high-heat stable. I've heard varying opinions on olive oil, so I usually play it safe. Plus, canola oil is cheaper.

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    EVOO and Canola are both good to use. Really depends on what your cooking and at what temperature. Here's a good read that may help you better understand.
    http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/05/cooking-fats-101-whats-a-smoke-point-and-why-does-it-matter.html
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • krobertsmsn
    krobertsmsn Posts: 655
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Avocado oil for high heat applications. Other charts show the smoke point higher than the one from serious eats. This one shows 570 degrees.

LBGE 4/2012, MBGE 6/2012 & Mini 11/2013
    Rome, GA
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    There's been a fair amount of press over the past few years about olive oil. The upshot is that unless an olive oil has an estate or region designation, it is most likely rancid and/or adulterated. Altho', curiously, after one has been exposed to rancid olive oil, one comes to expect the taste, and fresh oil seems odd and unpleasant. To make matters worse, the flavor of good oil is easily cooked away.

Might as well use a cheaper oil that has little flavor.

As a BTW, the Asian markets near me sell peanut oil that appears to have been derived from roasted peanuts. I like using that as a sticky base for rubs on pork because there is some nutty flavor added to the meat.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    gdenby said:
    There's been a fair amount of press over the past few years about olive oil. The upshot is that unless an olive oil has an estate or region designation, it is most likely rancid and/or adulterated. Altho', curiously, after one has been exposed to rancid olive oil, one comes to expect the taste, and fresh oil seems odd and unpleasant. To make matters worse, the flavor of good oil is easily cooked away.

As a BTW, the Asian markets near me sell peanut oil that appears to have been derived from roasted peanuts. I like using that as a sticky base for rubs on pork because there is some nutty flavor added to the meat.
    any ideas as to which olive oils are better, i had two new bottles go rancid this summer in a dark closet. i might be getting more sensitive to it, 2 tbls in a 6 quart chili ruined the whole pot for me last time around. bertolli and fillipo berio both were tossed
    fukahwee maine

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,618
    Options
    @fishlessman I don't know if I've grown accustomed to rancid oil or not, but I've been very happy with the Kirkland evoo at Costco.  It keeps well in our pantry.
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    gdenby said:

any ideas as to which olive oils are better, i had two new bottles go rancid this summer in a dark closet. i might be getting more sensitive to it, 2 tbls in a 6 quart chili ruined the whole pot for me last time around. bertolli and fillipo berio both were tossed
    I read somewhere that Olive oil will go rancid in 2 years and that is stored in a cool dark place.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    edited December 2014
    Options
    gdenby said:

My experience of genuinely good olive oil is quite limited. The articles I mention indicated that without an estate or DOP designation, and hopefully a date of harvest on the label, it was more likely than not to be mediocre. One article said that experienced tasters found "fustiness" in 9 out of 10 bottles of commonly available olive oils. Evidently, if a bottle is marked "Italian," but does not have a DOP, the oil was just made from olives from all over the Mediterranean, and most likely included olives that probably never should have been harvested.

I've had good oil from Sciabica in California. I was visiting Portland last year, and stopped by an olive oil "boutique." One could sample various types. I bought a Sevillano, which had a butterish flavor. Other I tried were distinctly peppery.

I also found some good Spanish oil at a deli run by folks who I think were originally from Morocco. They had a whole section filled w. barells of different kinds of olives, as well as an aisle of bottled oil. All the oils were quite expensive, and I picked the Spanish one just because the bottle was small, and a bit less than $10. Maybe I got lucky, but it was rather like discovering craft beer.  Distinctive flavor, nothing like the commodities I'd had before.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I've been told grape seed oil is better then both, because it has a higher flashpoint and is better fit for coating meat when grilling.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • fishlessman
    edited December 2014
    Options
    @Zmokin
    these were maybe a month old in the house and well within exp dates, one was in a tin the other glass. as soon as i drizzled it on the chili the room smelt of window putty
    :((

fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    Options
    gdenby said:
    gdenby said:

My experience of genuinely good olive oil is quite limited. The articles I mention indicated that without an estate or DOP designation, and hopefully a date of harvest on the label, it was more likely than not to be mediocre. One article said that experienced tasters found "fustiness" in 9 out of 10 bottles of commonly available olive oils. Evidently, if a bottle is marked "Italian," but does not have a DOP, the oil was just made from olives from all over the Mediterranean, and most likely included olives that probably never should have been harvested.

I've had good oil from Sciabica in California. I was visiting Portland last year, and stopped by an olive oil "boutique." One could sample various types. I bought a Sevillano, which had a butterish flavor. Other I tried were distinctly peppery.

I also found some good Spanish oil at a deli run by folks who I think were originally from Morocco. They had a whole section filled w. barells of different kinds of olives, as well as an aisle of bottled oil. All the oils were quite expensive, and I picked the Spanish one just because the bottle was small, and a bit less than $10. Maybe I got lucky, but it was rather like discovering craft beer.  Distinctive flavor, nothing like the commodities I'd had before.
    i need to find a more upscale place to buy it from up here
    fukahwee maine

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,836
    Options
    I really enjoy the rancid oil I get from Costco.  But now I have to decide whether to take the red pill or the blue pill.  I suspect this thread is going to end up costing me money.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options

@Zmokin
    these were maybe a month old in the house and well within exp dates, one was in a tin the other glass. as soon as i drizzled it on the chili the room smelt of window putty

Might be you, sorry to say.  Or perhaps that dark closet is a gateway to Narnia.
    Options
    it could be me, a couple years ago i found the same thing with a bottle of veg oil that turned into my prefered lighting method
    :)) i dont get it though, ive been buying gallon tins 3 to 4 times a year for maybe 20 years, i even used to soak hundreds of cloves garlic on tof of the refridgerator for months before garlic was killing us
    :D

@Zmokin

Might be you, sorry to say.  Or perhaps that dark closet is a gateway to Narnia.

fukahwee maine

• Little Steven
    Options
    Try ghee

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    Options
    Yes you can used clarified butter and the spoke point is higher than canola. I just find the nutty flavour of ghee accompanies meat nicely.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Yes you can used clarified butter and the spoke point is higher than canola. I just find the nutty flavour of ghee accompanies meat nicely.
    They are the same thing. They both have a nutty flavor.

EDIT: What I consider clarified butter(Brown butter, beurre noisette) appears different than some definitions. I suppose it depends on how long you heat the butter.
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options

yes on the ghee, love the stuff.  For the second half of the reverse sear, I let the egg go full inferno mode and put ghee in the cast iron pan and sear the steak.  makes a really nice mahogany crust, no smoking.

as far as olive oil, i think the high quality stuff is great for eating on bread or drizzling on salad, but i think the flavor is lost in high heat cooking, or even low/medium heat cooking if you're covering the meat in a rub.  I use either a vegetable oil or costco's olive oil for cooking.

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited December 2014
    Options
    If you had a single clue about this I would happily engage in the conversation

Edit: That was for eggcelsior not you blind. Got one of those "your comment will be posted after it is approved" ones and forgot to hit the quote on the second try

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Eggcelsior
    Options
    @little_steven did you see my edit? Please explain how I have no idea what I'm talking about, since, apparently I am unable to elucidate why.

Second, have you been drinking? You're quite surly.

Lastly, I realize ghee is a product of SE Asia and made in a different way than clarified butter. With the manner I make mine, they taste identical.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Mrrreowww ppffffsssstttTTTT!
    @little_steven did you see my edit? Please explain how I have no idea what I'm talking about, since, apparently I am unable to elucidate why. Second, have you been drinking? You're quite surly. Lastly, I realize ghee is a product of SE Asia and made in a different way than clarified butter. With the manner I make mine, they taste identical.
    No I haven't yet started drinking. A situation which will soon be corrected and then you'll see surly.
    :D

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Eggcelsior
    Options
    I love you Little Steven. Salado will be fun.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Slap! Owww! Run..run..run... leap! Smack! "Seriosly you wou...." pop! "Yikes!" Squeeek! Splash! "Hey that was wet!" Run jump slip fall...
    Just be aware. I will be bringing a ladder and may possibly stuff your mouth full of Cali's ghee and pour clarified butter over your haid.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    This Salado place is sounding like a LOT of fun. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Little Steven
    Options
    blind99 said:
    It's full contact for sure

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    blind99 said:

the more I hear, the more I want to make it work for me!