Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoking Almonds - open to suggestions

Options
I bought 3 lbs of almonds today and I would like to do something fun with them. I have an A-Maz-N smoker that I had planned to cold smoke them with. I see that there are a lot of variations on how to smoke nuts. I was planning on something sweet with a little heat. What have you all had success with? 
L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
eggAddict from MN!

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    This one is really good, but not sweet:

I've done it several times, but they reprinted the recipe there, and I don't like to reprint copyrighted material. I have no problem linking to someone else that has. ;)

After cold smoking for 2-3 hours, put them in a ziplock bag or other airtight container and let them mellow for a week or so, then proceed with roasting them.

For sweet ones, this is really good.

And now that I found that one, where is @laserdoc85?
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    @DMW - thanks for the quick response. Both of those recipes look great. I have two choices for pellets on hand, hickory or apple. Which one would you recommend? I have a lifetime supply of both as my wife bought the A-maze-N for me for my birthday and she got 40 lb bags of pellets!!! Needless to say, I won't be buying any pellets for a while.

=))
    eggAddict from MN!
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Lol, 40#? Did she think you had a Traeger? ;)

I think hickory would be good for the almonds. The apple will be more mild and is great on cheese. Since you will be finishing the almonds with additional seasoning later, the hickory will be a good choice to come through the savory or sweet.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    edited December 2014
    Options
    DMW said:
    Lol, 40#? Did she think you had a Traeger? ;)

I think hickory would be good for the almonds. The apple will be more mild and is great on cheese. Since you will be finishing the almonds with additional seasoning later, the hickory will be a good choice to come through the savory or sweet.

Might have to buy a Traeger just to get through them all... or they'll be in my will to my 11 mo. old LOL! She is well aware that I like to buy charcoal by the pallet so buying two bags seemed to make sense. HA! I'm just grateful that she appreciates and supports my habit. 

I appreciate your experience and reasoning on the wood type. That's what I'll do. I think I'll start them first thing in the morning. I picked up a small section of Q-mat today that should work pretty well. Where did you find the round mesh that you used on your smoked almonds?
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Greeno55
    Greeno55 Posts: 635
    Options
    I did the sweet one listed above, and the taste was outstanding.  Especially if left a while.  What I didn't like about it was how soft they got that long in a slow cooker.  I will be making them again, however, this time they will only go in the slow cooker long enough to get all the sugar and such soft and coated on the almonds.

LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario