Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Advice on smoking cheese

I would like to smoke some cheese for Christmas. I don't have an amazin smoker but I do have my LBGE and it's cold out now. Any suggestions as to how I can keep the temps low enough without melting the cheese? Any tips are welcome, I have lots of apple and cherry wood.
In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    edited December 2014
    I have used a home built AMZN style smoker several times and also the soldering iron version. For me the soldering iron version worked better but others seem to have good luck withe the AMZN style. I had issues with the pellets not staying lit in the tray. I have home built a Smoke Daddy style and will use it the next time I do cold smoke. I think it has promise from the trial tests so far. Still working on getting the setup generating the right amount of smoke but getting close to what looks right.
    You can purchase a soldering iron very reasonably from Harbor Freight and the can is obvious. Keep the iron in the 30 watt range or there about. Take it easy on the smoke as cheese can easily be overpowered by strong smoke. I have used apple, cherry and pecan with good results.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    Do you think I can get away with a very small amount of lump and apple or cherry chips closed right down and the cheese on a rack over an ice filled drip pan? Maybe 2 hours? I am going to get some cheese at Costco today, thinking I will try some old cheddar first?
  • You will probably need to add ice a couple of times.  But the method works.

Spring "Who Cut The Cheese" Chicken

Spring Texas USA

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    edited December 2014
    Here's a great step by step on cold smoking cheese with an ice pan.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    If it is for Christmas, you better get it going or not use much smoke unless you like cheese tasting like an ash tray. I let my simmer in a food saver bag in the fridge for weeks before opening and slicing.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • GlennM said:
    Do you think I can get away with a very small amount of lump and apple or cherry chips closed right down and the cheese on a rack over an ice filled drip pan? Maybe 2 hours? I am going to get some cheese at Costco today, thinking I will try some old cheddar first?
    Glenn, you can do a number of things to make it easy.  In my article, I light a few briquettes in a foil pan and place some slices of smoking chunks on them.  You can also use a new soldering iron stuck into a hole in the side of a can that is holding wood chips.  Depending on the outside temperature, using the briquettes method, you might still want to add a pan of ice below the cheese.  I've never had any cheese really melt, but I've had some start to sink down around the rods on the grid to the depth of the rod.  Good luck!
    The Naked Whiz
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    If you use the soldering iron in a can method be careful about melting the iron. I think @canugghead has done it that way in the past.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    edited December 2014
    It is cold out, I'm in Canada so I think I will try the ice method. White or orange cheddar?
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,505
    @GlennM here's the url to one of my smoked cheese runs:

Since it's getting close to Christmas, I would start asap and go max 1.5 hour of active smoke time to allow sufficient time for it to mellow.  Our crowd favourite is mozarella.

Photos from above url:

canuckland