Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Blackened Boboli

Options
BluesnBBQ
BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Last night I tried to do a pizza in the Egg, using a Boboli crust. I had the pizza stone in the Egg for about a half hour, with the temp around 550-600. I didn't use any cornmeal on my paddle because I thought there would be no problems with the crust sticking (since it was already cooked). I was wrong. Within seconds of putting it on the stove, black smoke came pouring out. I could tell that the crust was burning, and it was sticking to the stone. I scraped it out, and sort of salvaged it by broiling it in the oven.[p]What went wrong? Should I have gotten the temp down to 400 or 450 first? I know some of you swear by firebricks, but I don't have any. And I really don't think they should be necessary. When I use my stone in my oven, I don't use firebricks, and I never have any problems. So far, the only successful pizzas I've made in the Egg have been on an aluminum pan that sits on the stone.[p]I might try the Boboli again, but this time at a lower temp, with the stone heated for a shorter time.

Comments

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    BluesnBBQ,
    If you are not using firebricks, then you should use two pizza stones. It is just a matter of ceramic mass, one stone would allow for more heat to the bottom of the crust. With two stones, the surface of the top stone should remain slightly cooler. This will allow the top of the pie to cook at the same rate as the bottom crust.[p]The temperature of 450 to 500 should be just about right.[p]The Cornmeal servers an important purpose, I feel. It allows the crust to sit just high enough off of the stone for air to flow underneath the crust and allow for a crunchy unburned bottom. [p]Hope this Helps,
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    BluesnBBQ,
    If you are not using firebricks, then you should use two pizza stones. It is just a matter of ceramic mass, one stone would allow for more heat to the bottom of the crust. With two stones, the surface of the top stone should remain slightly cooler. This will allow the top of the pie to cook at the same rate as the bottom crust.[p]The temperature of 450 to 500 should be just about right.[p]The Cornmeal servers an important purpose, I feel. It allows the crust to sit just high enough off of the stone for air to flow underneath the crust and allow for a crunchy unburned bottom. [p]Hope this Helps,
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    BluesnBBQ,[p]Always follow the instructions provided on cooking (time/temp) a commercially available pie as these are created to be cooked in a conventional oven. [p]The higher cooking temps are needed when you start with a homemade dough (or some from a pizza parlor ;-)). The cooking stone needs to be insulated better from the heat of the hotter fire.[p]Spin[p]
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    BluesnBBQ,[p]I have good results from Boboli crusts in my Egg and I think its a smart way to do your first pie. No need working on fresh dough only to burn it. You really didn't need to preheat that stone and with no extra ceramic, its the last thing you should have done. The extra ceramic is needed to let the crust cook slowly so the dome heat cokks from up above and the stone is cooking from below. If one cooks faster than the other - something will burn before the other finishes. Try it at 575 deg (vent open full and the slide/daisy top pushed wide open). Stabilize and add the stone with a raised grid if you don't have a second stone or setter or firebicks. Toss the pie on the stone 2-3 min after you place the stone in there. Now the top will cook and the crust will lag because the stone is heating up first. [p]I would try to use more ceramic if you want fool proof results though.[p]Tim, at the beach (rainy beach)