Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Egg Question

Options
Hey Everyone,

I recently purchased the XL BGE and I am extremely happy with it thus far. I have a couple of question for you professional Eggers... 

1. I read that I should make my first few cooks at a lower temp of 400 or less so that the gasket can form properly. How many times would you recommend for me to keep cooking at a temp under 400? So far I have made 2 cooks at around 350 degrees. Can I crank it up now or should I do a few more cooks at a low temp? 

2. I noticed that the egg stays hot for a while if I place the ceramic damper vs the metal top. I understand that since it is thick ceramic it will hold heat for a while however, I tried using the metal top and closing the vents to cool it and it did cool faster so I am assuming that it is because it has a gasket and is a tighter fit therefore less air comes out. I read somewhere that you can add a gasket inside the ceramic damper and it will reduce air flowing out of the egg. Has anyone tried this and if so, did it work? 

Any other tips or modifications would be appreciated! Thank you everyone! 

Comments

• Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Options

1. You will/should upgrade to a rutland gasket soon, your standard gasket will likely burn up after a few high temp pizza cooks. Still I think you should go below 400 for a few cooks just to get the hang of lighting and managing you temps.

2. Either ceramic or metal top as long as you don't have vents open. The bge ceramic gets hot and stays hot. No big deal and completely normal. You just want the fire to go out by starving it of air.

Just have fun and cook! Don't leave the egg unattended for a while (to prevent temp spikes). There is a learning curve, (e..g which way to light works best for you, direct/indirect, adding smoke, temp control, plus all the extras you'll soon buy!!). Enjoy.. P.S. you'll spend hours and hours on this forum :)

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• Buzilo
    Buzilo Posts: 185
    Options
    Thank you for your prompt response Raymont. I have experience with charcoal cooking as I have used a Weber for a few years. Regarding the gasket you mentioned... do I really need to change it or should I just wait until it burns up? What is the difference between a ruling gasket and the one that came with the egg? 

• Buzilo
    Options
    One more question, what do you recommend for lighting the BGE? I was thinking of getting the electric starter but is it really worth the money vs the fire starter? 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited December 2014
    Options
    @Buzilo‌ The purpose of running lower temps on a brand new BGE is to allow the gasket to completely seat and adhere. One long L&S is really sufficient. I would personally keep the OEM gasket until it needs to be replaced. And then yes I would go to a Rutland gasket. For now cook, bake, smoke and egg on. Just my 2¢ opinion and we know what those are worth. ;)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Buzilo
    Options
    Thank you NPHuskerFL, I do appreciate your input. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Buzilo said:

One more question, what do you recommend for lighting the BGE? I was thinking of getting the electric starter but is it really worth the money vs the fire starter? 

I use a MAPP torch. Some use a weed burner, oily paper towel, starter cubes, looftlighter, electric lighter, blah blah. Lots of ways. Mine is cheap and effective + I already had the torch so it was an easy decision.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Welcome. On the gasket, some people here don't even have one so it's really up to you. On the starter, I found the electric to be an upgrade from the fire stater cubes, but you have to dl drag the cord out, put it back, be careful on wet ground....I did that for a while then switched to a mapp torch. It sparks , but 20 sec and I have lit coals. Again personal preference.
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    edited December 2014
    Options
    As far as lighting your egg, I've used propane torch, oil & paper towels, fire starters, rubbing alcohol, chimney starter, and right now I use an electric starter, because I can put it in the lump, and just walk away for 10 minutes come back, and it's pretty good to go (also close to an outlet).
    Find what works for you. just don't use lighter fluid. 
    If you do use electric, don't forget to come back and take it out. I've melted one due to distraction.

Oh, and welcome to the cult of the egg
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Buzilo
    Options
    How long does the gas tank last for? 
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    I've been using the torch for about 6 weeks so I can't really say. It also depends on how often you cook. I cook 3-4 times a week and the tank is about 10 bucks. Less economical than the electric(assuming you don't melt it like taz) but cheaper than buying starter cubes in the long haul. Btw, I bought the cheapest electric I could find at Academy and it worked just fine. 8-10 min and it's burning, I just didn't like the cord hassle.
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Buzilo said:

How long does the gas tank last for? 

Average of 5-6 months and I use it for lighting the lump 3-5 cooks per week and I occasionally use it at work on small silver solder brazing jobs.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Buzilo
    Options
    I'm sold, which one do you recommend for me to buy?
  • Buzilo
    Options
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Bernzomatic 19425 JT850...
    Bernzomatic I bought on amazon. Having trouble linking. This one has a long neck. Keeps you out of the firebox.
  • Buzilo
    Options
    Perfect thanks
  • TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Mapp gas torch is what I use and highly recommend.

As far as teh gasket is concerned I own two eggs and use the standard bge gaskets on both. My Large egg is 9 years old and I only changed it once. I used it in very worn condition for several years before changing it. I understand that the Rutland gasket s are great. But I'm happy with the standard. maybe next time I'll try one but I won't change it until it needs changing. 

Here's a pic of a Map torch like the one I use . I bought mine at Ace Hardware. Oh and don't confuse this with the propane in teh blue cylinder. Those do not burn as hot. I don't recommend  propane
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• Buzilo
    Options
    Thanks TigerTony, much appreciated.
  • ChicagoEgghead20
    Options
    Buzilo said:
    Perfect thanks
    Welcome, the torch is a good choice! I second @NPHuskerFL - unless you have some really sparky charcoal, then it's like going to battle with your egg
  • Buzilo
    Options
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Welcome, the torch is a good choice! I second @NPHuskerFL - unless you have some really sparky charcoal, then it's like going to battle with your egg

That's why I like the long nozzle. It's going to spark, some more than others.
  • Buzilo
    Options
    Regarding charcoal, I bought a few bags from Costco "nature's own" (see pic) does anyone know if the BGE charcoal is better and why? Thanks again everyone.
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    BGE is just Royal Oak with a higher price tag. Never used that particular brand, Natures Own.
  • kdink
    kdink Posts: 336
    Options
    Buzilo said:
    Regarding charcoal, I bought a few bags from Costco "nature's own" (see pic) does anyone know if the BGE charcoal is better and why? Thanks again everyone.
    I have used that before.  Liked it a lot
     burned well, used to use RO, just tried OO for first time and I'm hooked on it. 
    2 Xl's, MM and Forno Bello
    Pizza Oven in Bergen County, NJ
  • Buzilo
    Options
    What's oo? Forgive my newbeness :/
  • kdink
    kdink Posts: 336
    Options
    Ozark Oak
    2 Xl's, MM and Forno Bello
    Pizza Oven in Bergen County, NJ
  • Buzilo
    Options
    Ah, ok. I will keep an eye out for it next time in at the bbq store.
  • TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    edited December 2014
    Options
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    Buzilo said:
    Ah, ok. I will keep an eye out for it next time in at the bbq store.

welcome aboard. Finding OO isn't as easy as you might think. It's made in AR and isn't too widely distributed.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Buzilo
    Options
  • StillSmoken
    Options
    Buzilo regarding your comment about shutting the egg down with the Daisy wheel "the metal cap". If it rains the daisy wheel will rust. I'd use the ceramic cap for shutting down and store the daisy wheel in the egg so it doesn't rust! Welcome aboard! The folks here are awesome. Enjoy!!
    Kennesaw Ga. XL Egg. Cheers, Kevin