Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thanksgiving Turkey

I followed the recipe for smoked turkey out of the BGE cookbook. It called for the cavity to be stuffed with 1 1/2 onions quartered, 2 lemons quartered, head of garlic and some herbs.
I brought the egg to the desired temperature ( I believe it was 325) and remained constant. After 2 1/2 hours the breast temp was 165 and the turkey was nice and brown. But, when I cut between the leg and the cavity the juice was red. I placed it in the oven for another hour at 350 and it was still not done, one more hour and it had a tint of red in the liquid in some areas.
I believe the "stuffing' did not allow the heat to flow through the bird --thus not allowing it to cook.

Just wondering if others have experienced this problem ---appreciate the feedback.

Outdoors 

Comments

• Welcome to the forum. Do you have any pics of your set up? Preferably whole the bird was on? May help with getting feedback.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Just another way (I am NOT a fan og the BGE) cookbook. Spatchcocked Turkey and Chicken on the Big Green Egg (you cut out the backbone and cook opened) I like a 11/12 lb bird. If I need lots of turkey I just cook a couple ( 1 & 1/2 hr cook app) Chicken 3 to 4.5lb bird or birds. Under an hour cook. Or, just add a package of legs extra. I do not brine the turkey or Chicken. If time I like to leave uncovered in the fridge overnight (no problem if no time) I cook "direct" @ 400 on a raised grill "skin side up" and never turn over. I will use a coffee rub. Use what you like. NOTE PLEASE (A LOT OF SMOKE IS NOT YOU FRIEND) I use about a single handfull of mixed chips: Cherry & Pecan. Cook to temp (not time) breast @ 165 and thigh @ 180. Coffee Rub (turkey, chicken, beef & pork) Equal part: Instant Expresso Ground coffee.. Equal part: Brown Sugar.. ½ part: Black Pepper.. ½ part: Kosher Salt.. ½ part: Garlic Powder.. ¾ part: Ancho Chili Powder.. Don't worry on exact, just close on measurement. I used to use turbinado sugar but we like with brown better. This is pulled from MollyShark, Hungry Man, & Richard In Fl then tweaked. I find the ancho chili powder is far less expensive in the bulk spice area than the bottled area ( have used both light or dark version). I make it starting with a half cup Instant Expresso Ground coffee and work from there as it seems to store well if sealed.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• GaryLange
    GaryLange Posts: 418
    edited December 2014
    I have done two Turkey's on my Large BGE and both turned out perfect. I did them at 350 degrees until the breast was 155 degrees and them put them in a cooler where they came up to 160 in the breast and 180 in the thigh. I set them in an aluminum pan indirect. I do not stuff anything in the cavity but do brine it for 24 hours and rub it with olive oil and poultry rub.
  • gamason
    gamason Posts: 406
    Just my opinion, but I see too often people over think the cook. Not bashing no ones favorite recipies, just saying somtimes simple works best on the egg. I took mine out of the wrapper, rinsed, coated with some Oakridge secret weapon inside and out, placed in my v-rack with drip pan, 350 indirect with a hanful of cherry for a little smoke. 3 hour later it was PERFECT. The egg does so much for the quality and taste that on some items, like turkey, it works to keep it simple. Better luck next time!

Snellville,Ga.

LBGE

Minimax

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167

@Outdoors-first up, welcome aboard and enjoy the journey. 

I have been cooking the Thanksgiving Turkey for many, many years on various outdoor devices (now with a LBGE)  and always only lightly load the cavity with aromatics.  It doesn't sound like you had too much "stuffed" in there. So, I would check the calibration of the dome thermo to make sure you were cooking at the advertised temp.  Don't know the size of your turkey but I figure around 12 mins/lb at about 350*F on the dome.   Usually works out fairly close.  YMMV-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Thanks to all for the feedback.
    It was a 12 lb. turkey, organic, free range, already brine.
    Put place setter legs up, but turkey on v- rack with drip pan under it. I have cooked a couple of chickens with no problems ( one on Sunday), but first turkey.
    It is a new thermometer ( relocated to CA from Fla --got lost in shipping) so I do need to calibrate. 

Thanks again for the info
  • rholt
    rholt Posts: 392
    Go to amazingribs.com. He has a section on turkey and it has a good explanation about why stuffing the cavity can hinder the cook and prevent it from cooking evenly. Lots of good reads on that site.
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    I picked up a on sale leftover fresh Turkey on Sunday and Spatchcocked it. Rubbed it with DP Tsunami Spin. Cooked it indirect at 400 until 160 degrees in the breast. (About 3 hours). Best turkey ever! Easy, quick, delicious but no Gravy. I'm with @gamason‌.
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE