Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What Ornament Means The Most to You?

Options

The Decoration thread gave me an idea.   Ornaments made by your children don't count. 

My most valuable ornament is glass and quite cheap. One Christmas before I was born my parents were moving into the house I would live in until I went to college.  My brother was a toddler and my sister an infant and moving was just too much for my Mom.  She wanted a Christmas tree set up, but what box are the ornaments in?  My Dad said not to worry, he'll go out and buy a tree and some tree décor. He returned with a tree, some strands of white lights, some packages of tinsel and four dozen glass ornament bulbs.  The bulbs were all four or five inch diameter and all bright fuchsia in color.  They must have been on sale.  He wanted to decorate it to surprise Mom.  My Mom said it was so hideous she couldn't stop laughing.  Those fuchsia bulbs have been lovingly used and have broken over the years with four kids, big dogs and all that goes with that.  All us kids received a fuchsia bulb when we started our own families and we display ours every year.  I wouldn't trade it for gold, frankincense or myrrh and would be upset if it broke.  

Flint, Michigan

Comments

• johnkitchens
    Options
    This is a hard post for me to read tonight. : (

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Cool story Fred. We're always late to get a tree compared to a lot of folks. I'll have to look at them. One that comes to mind is a giant blue ball that my oldest son picked out just about the time he was old enough to clearly communicate. Blue was his favorite color then. This thing is out of scale with anything else we own and it looks like tinsel I guess is the best way to describe it. My wife hated it, but she relented. Before this our trees had to be color coordinated and all that jazz. Kids changed that and I guess that's the start if that change.

hey, turns out that was easy. No need to look through them.
  • Grillin_beers
    Options
    My favorite is a Gold ornament my grandfather gave me on my first Xmas. Every year he gave me one from the same collection until he died. I recently had them appraised and insured but I would never consider selling them.
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • erniemcclain
    Options
    So, my lovely bride of 32 years and I both grew up in West Michigan.  As a wedding present, some friends got us a big green ornament from Bronners with our names and wedding date on it.  Without a doubt our favorite.  It goes top center every year.

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

(in the extreme western panhandle of NE)

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    So, my lovely bride of 32 years and I both grew up in West Michigan.  As a wedding present, some friends got us a big green ornament from Bronners with our names and wedding date on it.  Without a doubt our favorite.  It goes top center every year.
    Bronners is just a hop, skip & a jump from me.  If you ever want anything from there, let me know.
    Flint, Michigan
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I'm not sure if it means the most to me, but a couple of years ago someone in the neighborhood gave us this "aquaman".  It's always something of a conversation piece.

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    There was an ornament during my childhood that didn't fit in with the other ornaments on our tree.  My mother's consternation on the ornament meeting the "family standards" was a constant source of uneasiness during holiday season dinner and the awkward subsequent discussion.  My little sister argued the ornament's not "fitting in" - it represented the oppressed, and my mother's distraction and unwarranted focus on the "little sad ornament that didn't belong" as a type of fascism representative of society.  My dad said, "enough is enough" and squashed it.  We were all horrified but secretly gratified.  Afterwards, he felt bad and bought the "Aquaman" ornament.  We all lived happily ever after until I got on this forum.
    Options
    I don't have the ornament I consider my favorite, but I'm a sucker for a Snoopy on his dog house my mom made. I remember putting that specific ornament up every year. I can't find it, but it's probably at my dad's house.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    i only have one ornament, its a mini outhouse and it sits under the rosemary tree in the kitchen
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    On top of our tree is a silver and gold star.  Made out of heavy aluminum foil.  The kind where it's lit up with a C7 bulb stuck through the back.  It's shape is dubious at best ... lots of straightening has taken place over the years.  Original cost was less than a dollar.

It's been on every tree my wife and I have had for 45 years.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    My wife and I have been married for 48 years now and while we have none carried forward from our childhood we have many collected over the years which flood us with fond memories from the past including milestones. For that reason and befitting of this forum here's a favorite custom made glass one denoting our entry into eggdom!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Hmm, I don't know if it means the most to me, but the coolest ornament we have is:

First, I want to say we have probably over 100 hallmark ornaments on our tree.  It takes me hours to unbox each ornament, some require putting batteries in, others require plugging in to two old light strings I keep just for these ornaments, others require nothing as they have no "special effects".

OK, with that said, we have this one battery operated ornament that is a Star Trek communicator.
    When you open it, it makes the traditional communicator sound.  but inside it has 2 buttons.  Press one button and it plays a Captain Kirk quote.  It has 7 different quotes it cycles through.  The other button has 9 quotes, one by Uhura, a few by Scotty and the rest by Spock.

so for the last few years, it has been my favorite ornament, but I don't know if it holds sentimental value or not.  We have another ornament, where you insert a picture of your choice, and record a message of your choice.  My son was 5 I think when we bought it, so it has a picture of the family and the message is him wishing us a Merry Xmas and saying I Love you Mommy & Daddy.  It has non-volatile memory, so you can remove the batteries every year to prevent corrosion damage, and it retains the recorded message.  It has a lock switch to prevent accidental erasure.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• gamason
    gamason Posts: 406
    Options
    I have about 8 ornaments that belonged to my Grandmother. They were from the WWII era and made of very thin glass. They are almost transparent now they are so old, but they go on the tree every year.

Snellville,Ga.

LBGE

Minimax

• Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    I guess my Nac Mac Feegle given to me by my youngest daughter.

“An' things ha' come to a pretty pass, ye ken, if people are going to leave stuff like that aroound where innocent people could accidentally smash the door doon and lever the bars aside and take the big chain off'f the cupboard and pick the lock and drink it!”

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• gabriegger
    Options
    These

the city above Toronto - Noodleville wtih 2 Large 1 Mini

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    RRP said:
    My wife and I have been married for 48 years now and while we have none carried forward from our childhood we have many collected over the years which flood us with fond memories from the past including milestones. For that reason and befitting of this forum here's a favorite custom made glass one denoting our entry into eggdom!

Really would have thought I would have been married longer than you (45 ). Well we gave building BGE ornaments a run. Sorry, I give up.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    Mickey said:
    RRP said:

Really would have thought I would have been married longer than you (45 ). Well we gave building BGE ornaments a run. Sorry, I give up.
    I feel like such a youngster at only 33 years of marrage.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    When my first Granddaughter was born we said they could come from Frisco (North Dallas) for Thanksgiving but we would always travel there for Christmas. That way they could have Christmas in there own house and no travel (15 years ago). So for the past 15 years no decorations needed at my house. At about that same time the Capital of Texas Gift Store started selling a new different with date printed on decoration. So from year one we buy two each year and present daughter hers each Thanksgiving. A few years ago my wife said e are going to put up a tree so we bought a 3 foot that we only decorate in the Texas State Capital tree ornaments. Plus my favorite 25+ year old Poodle tree topper.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.