Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help Needed-Cannot get my Medium BGE over 300 degrees

Options

This is the second cook this has happened in a row, but it has happened before too. All the charcoal is lit and burning well, I use BGE charcoal. We fill the fire box all the way for each cook, he cleans out the old stuff and adds new charcoal to fill. I also wait for the charcoal to light pretty well before I shut the lid, usually about 20-30 minutes.

We will do a real thorough clean prior to my next cook but this is frustrating. Maybe it needs a real good cleaning but I am thinking we clear out the old stuff that is bad so why is this still an issue? Or should I just dump all the old stuff and start new?

As always thanks for any help you can give.

Medium BGE in Cincinnati OH.

"

"I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but, by God, they frighten me. " Duke of Wellington, Battle of Waterloo.

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Check to see if any small pieces of lump are plugging up the fire grate holes. (Good chance this is the issue) Sometimes the firebox can get turned and not lined up straight with the lower vent. Maybe your dome thermometer needs recalibrating? The lump could be wet or full of moisture?
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Smokinpig
    Options
    Have you verified your dome thermometer is accurate?

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    If you are taking it all apart inside make sure to line up the fire box with the vent and ash can get in behind the fire box and ring that will cause an airflow problem. Try using a air dryer on the lit lump or hold it up to the bottom vent and see if it comes up. I use one to speed up the process.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    How old is it? Some of the early ones had issues because the firebowl was smaller than it should have been and the intake air went up and around. If that is the case, some folks put tin foil in the gap and it worked well.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    A thorough clean involves taking out the fire bowl from time to time. Depending on how much you use it the ash will fall down into the holes in the firebox and create little ant hills of ash. Check it out and let us know
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• evie1370
    evie1370 Posts: 506
    Options

Thanks All for the input. My BGE is less than a year old so that should not be it. I keep my lump in the storage unit outside which is (or I thought it was) air tight. I will take the firebox apart prior to my next cook and clean it out.

I did try the hair dryer, it did not help so I am thinking it must be air flow. I will clean it all out and let everyone know what happened.

Good news was the flank steak still tasted good!

"

"I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but, by God, they frighten me. " Duke of Wellington, Battle of Waterloo.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    As mentioned already, does the opening at the bottom of the firebowl line up with the vent. Try taking all the parts out, clean everything out, replace the innards with the opening at the bottom of the firebowl lined up with the vent. Fill with fresh lump and do a test burn. you should be able to hot whatever temp you want.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Another thing - have you checked that the top DFMT is open appropriately? Sometimes it swings around when you open and close the lid and it could be messing with your temps.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Well hello fellow medium owner. I had this problem too, through a bunch of reading and research on this forum, it appears the medium has airflow issues. I make sure one, all ash is cleaned and vacuumed from between firebox and bottom, every other cook. (Yes that means disassembly, get a pair of dedicated gloves). The real answer to our problem is the bottom grate needs more airflow. The solution for me was the High-Que replacement grate $39.00. It allows WAY more airflow, after buying it, I had no problems locking down 325, 400, 550, very accurately and quickly. It has worked very well for me. I will attach a link.

http://www.high-que.com/

Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • ChicagoEgghead20
    Options
    maybe try getting a new bag of lump. I've had this issue with older and damp lump

• evie1370
    Options

Thanks guys, will clean out my Egg a little more thoroughly. Also dropped hints for a High-Que to Mr. Evie. I think he will buy it to save on the aggravation!

In the meantime I will post a pic or two of my cook..and my Corgis approval. Apparently they like Flank Steak!

"

• Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options

I had issues with my small not getting up to 400-500*.  From what I could tell it was using lump that was small in size; either left over from a previous burn in conjunction of using the smaller pieces in the bottom of the bag. These small pieces do not allow for air flow once the fire ring is filled.

To resolved this without tossing the lump away I will remove all the existing lump from the egg. Then make sure the ash is removed. I then place some bigger pieces on lump on the fire grate so that the air will flow. I place my cast iron cap on top of this lump and then add additional lump keeping it off the cap. I use a chimney starter and get that burning really good. I then dump it into the egg and use my ash tool to remove the cap. The center area does not get smothered in small pieces of lump and allows it breathe.

• Little Steven
    Options
    evie1370 said:

Thanks guys, will clean out my Egg a little more thoroughly. Also dropped hints for a High-Que to Mr. Evie. I think he will buy it to save on the aggravation!

In the meantime I will post a pic or two of my cook..and my Corgis approval. Apparently they like Flank Steak!

Serious. Try the tin foil around the firebowl.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Skiddymarker
    Options
    If you think it's air flow and you are using the OEM grate, a wiggle rod (coat hanger bent to same shape as ash rake) can be put in the bottom vent and with the end pointing up, get it into the lump and wiggle it. if the air was blocked it will clear. High-Que is a good first buy for us MBGE owners. I never vacuum my egg, that's kinda like washing the treads of your tires. Rake the ash from the firebox and insert the ash rake between the firebox and the base as far as you can with the rake end pointing down - pull out as much of the ash that has fallen through the firebox holes as you can. Make sure those holes are clear, they are small lump traps. 

For a test, leave the DFMT off and regulate with the lower vent only - that helps confirm if it is the DFMT. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • EGGjlmh
    EGGjlmh Posts: 816
    Options
    anton said:
    Well hello fellow medium owner. I had this problem too, through a bunch of reading and research on this forum, it appears the medium has airflow issues. I make sure one, all ash is cleaned and vacuumed from between firebox and bottom, every other cook. (Yes that means disassembly, get a pair of dedicated gloves). The real answer to our problem is the bottom grate needs more airflow. The solution for me was the High-Que replacement grate $39.00. It allows WAY more airflow, after buying it, I had no problems locking down 325, 400, 550, very accurately and quickly. It has worked very well for me. I will attach a link.

http://www.high-que.com/

Agreed, I also have a medium and had similar issues.  I went to this grate and it worked.

1MBGE 2006, 1LBGE 2010, 1 Mini Max, Fathers Day 2015

• jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Is it possible the lump has been crushed into many smaller pieces thus reducing air fow? Also +1 on the high-queue grate.
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    I get my medium up to temp no problem without a hique, just get the ash build up off the grate.
  • Coastalcooker
    Coastalcooker Posts: 185
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I end up with small piles of ash under the fire box holes. I just take the innards out and sweep all the ash out. The wiggle rod through the grate holes and shaking the grate can help while in the middle of a lengthy cook. I usually wait until I can't get temp to over 300 before cleaning. I have burned for about sixteen hours in the last 7 days, but have had no problem yet.
    The MBGE has no problem wrapping the needle around to 200 or 300 when the air passage is open. It went to 500 while I was trying to get the turkey ready.
    Bob
    Cookin' on the coast
    Shellman Bluff, GA
    Medium BGE

• minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    I have a St. Louis Charcoal grate in mine and I don't have any trouble getting to temp. In fact, I walked away from mine for 10 minutes tonight and it went from 250 to wrapped around the thermometer. It took 20 minutes to get it back down to 500. Oops. Guess I get to calibrate the thermometer again now. 

I hope you get your issue sorted out @elvie1370.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • bdsdnfam
    Options

Large lump at the bottom and then up to the top of the fire ring with medium/small chunks. This allows for airflow as it prevents the smaller chunks from plugging the holes in the grate. Someone else mentioned that you should pull the box and ring (I do this on my XL every 4-6 cooks) and vacuum or sweep up the ash that falls behind them.

Finally don't trust 100% the BGE temp gauge. It can vary. You should be able to heat up to 600-700 degrees no problem.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    you need moar fire!!!

Options
    Throw that stupid ceramic disk with the holes in it over the fence and into the neighbors yard!!!

Get a grate for your firebox and your problem will be solved for a lousy $40.

High-Que is an acceptable repair, however I like http://michaelscustomgrillworks.com/products.htm

When you can pick the size of the rod used and the spacing; that tells me Micheal is a concerned professional. 

If it's brown, it's cook'in....If it's black, it's done ---my Grandfather     Medium BGE
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    you need moar fire!!!

mo fire, mo fire, mo fire !!!!!!!!

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• evie1370
    Options

Thanks Guys! Mr Evie is now cleaning out the fire box, OMG was it stuffed! Like @Coastalcooker I found piles of ash behind, under the firebox. I am also ordering the Medium grate replacement. I agree with the statements on the grate, after he cleaned it all out and I saw that thing I had to agree...not designed for maximum airflow.

However @bobroo I am not chucking it into my neighbors yard, I kind of like him...I am getting ready for another cook and will let everyone know how it goes!

"

• mtbguy
    mtbguy Posts: 299
    Options
    Had a problem similar to this. My buddy gave me some lump that was old took forever to get any temp. Had to use a fan to get it to take off. Worked it in with some BGE lump still slowed heating up down. When it was all gone no problems. It was high rated lump but must have been old and had some moisture in it.