Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gumbo

Options
2»

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    There are myriad ways to make a roux.  You can make it dry, in oil, in the oven, in a pan, in a microwave, on an exhaust manifold, on an egg.....list is endless.  If you like a dark roux, you get it to that razor's edge.  When it's burnt, start over...and you'll know when that is.  As a chemist and all-around geek of uninteresting stuff at the micro-level, the chemical complexity of roux is interesting.  You can use it as a base for all kinds of dishes, and it's delicieaux.
    I don't know if you ever went on the old forum but it was Frank in Houma that did the fast roux on the egg. I'm always scared sh!tless about burning it so I'll deal with the time for traditional. Never tried a big batch and freezing it which, they say, is just fine.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• lakewade
    lakewade Posts: 385
    Options
    caliking said:

Not authentic, but damn it tasted good :)

Nice work. This looks outstanding!

-----------
    I feel a whole lot more like I do now than I did when I got here.
  • TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    Options
    lakewade said:
    caliking said:

Not authentic, but damn it tasted good :)

Nice work. This looks outstanding!
    Yep! Damn Good trumps authentic any day  =D>
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Way to go, that looks good.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    LS - at some point during the Salado M&G or afterparty, Frank pulled me over to his gumbo station and fixed me a bowl. I'm so glad that he did. Gave me the sustenance I needed to quaff more of henapple's beer.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    edited December 2014
    Options
    @caliking‌ Please don't let my wife know about doing a roux this way. I've got her convinced it takes about three beers of constant stirring to get to the dark color we like.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser