Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sous Vide decision

Options
llrickman
llrickman Posts: 654
edited December 2014 in EggHead Forum
I was asked what i wanted for Christmas and thought this was the ticket but am unsure on which one.  Do i go withe the Anova Precision cooker at 149 with the discount or with the Anova One at 199? 

I have never used one but after seeing all the threads here i thought its time i did im just not sure if there is a big advantage to the extra 50 bucks for the anova one

Thanks

Larry
2 LBGE
Digi Q
green Thermapen
AR

Albuquerque, NM

Comments

• sodigthisbigcrux
    Options
    I joined the Kickstarter campaign for the Precision and received it a few weeks ago. I've only done a Chix breast and soft boiled eggs thus far and it works really good. They are supposed to have their iPhone app out shortly, which will allow you to control it via Bluetooth.
    Battle Ground, WA
    Large BGE,  MiniMax  and a Vision Kub.
    Could you call on Lady Day, could you call on John Coltrane?
  • bclarksicle
    Options
    Precision cooker is sold out for xmas, if that plays into your decision

• llrickman
    Options
    No  not really in a hurry ive gone this long without a few more weeks wont matter im just wondering which i would be better off with

2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • llrickman
    Options
    I joined the Kickstarter campaign for the Precision and received it a few weeks ago. I've only done a Chix breast and soft boiled eggs thus far and it works really good. They are supposed to have their iPhone app out shortly, which will allow you to control it via Bluetooth.

That i think could be a big benefit and the anova one doesnt have that option

2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    That is BS shipping w/o the iPhone App complete and ready to go. They sure don't mention that on their web site...
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    llrickman said:
    I was asked what i wanted for Christmas and thought this was the ticket but am unsure on which one.  Do i go withe the Anova Precision cooker at 149 with the discount or with the Anova One at 199? 

I have never used one but after seeing all the threads here i thought its time i did im just not sure if there is a big advantage to the extra 50 bucks for the anova one

Thanks

Larry
    I really find it hard to believe that they will not discontinue the original with the new Bluetooth model shipping. The original has a slightly more powerful heating element and will control a little larger water bath. Not aware of any other benefits of the older model. Really like the adjustable depth clamp for different size pots on the new model.

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • sodigthisbigcrux
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    That is BS shipping w/o the iPhone App complete and ready to go. They sure don't mention that on their web site...
    agreed...I was a bit miffed, plus I was supposed to receive it in early October, so it was a month late.
    Battle Ground, WA
    Large BGE,  MiniMax  and a Vision Kub.
    Could you call on Lady Day, could you call on John Coltrane?
  • aem
    aem Posts: 146
    Options
    FWIW, I'm very happy with my Sansaire http://sansaire.com/
    A few weeks ago I made the best steak I've ever had. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I don't see the app being very useful. I start my water bath, put the stuff in it and decide what time and date to pull it off. Never once had a problem with it going off set point. I can't think of a reason you would want to change the temp midway through.

Check the water level once a day.

I don't see the app being very useful. I start my water bath, put the stuff in it and decide what time and date to pull it off. Never once had a problem with it going off set point. I can't think of a reason you would want to change the temp midway through. Check the water level once a day.
    Agreed. The option the way I understand it with the second gen ANOVA is the ability to move the clamp, allows other than 8" minimum deep pots. Not sure what the alarm is like on the second gen but the original ANOVA is very quiet - too quiet to be heard most times. 
    Other than that, I am very happy. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,512
    Options
    Received my first of two Kickstarter units, temp is off when compared with two Thermapens. Haven't decided if I should send it back or wait for the app to recalibrate it by adding/subtracting a fixed offset.  
    More info, Q&A here:
    canuckland
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    edited December 2014
    Options
    FWIW, there is a 3rd party android app available for the Anova. It is called ANOVA Remote, but it isn't free. It costs $1.99. I managed to scratch together the required finances.

Even without the app, I like the UI of the new Anova. It is stupid simple. Rotate the wheel dial to set the desired temp and press the go button.

The app allows me to monitor the temp from my office. Monitor for what, I have no idea. :)

You can also set a program, X temp for A minutes, then Y temp for B minutes, etc. Again, why, I haven't figured out yet.

It does seem Anova had an issue with calibration on some of them. I happen to have gotten lucky and mine is spot on. It also seems their customer service and support groups were completely under-built for the demand that hit them when they finally started shipping. As a Kickstarter funded project, I built low expectations for them hitting initial ship dates, etc. As they dig out of initial backlog, I would guess things will improve.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    Received my first of two Kickstarter units, temp is off when compared with two Thermapens. Haven't decided if I should send it back or wait for the app to recalibrate it by adding/subtracting a fixed offset.  
    More info, Q&A here:
    How far are you off?
    I'm still trying to work out an issue with my Anova One. Can't catch them live on the phone and they are unable to return phone calls left on voice mail for some reason.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Canugghead
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    More info, Q&A here:
    How far are you off?
    I'm still trying to work out an issue with my Anova One. Can't catch them live on the phone and they are unable to return phone calls left on voice mail for some reason.
    Darian, it was all documented here:

It appears to be spot on at boiling point, but the discrepancy with Thermapen seems to increase as you go lower.  Being non-linear, I'm still not convinced that an app can fix it but simply adding/subtracting a fixed offset.  I'm reluctant to send it back yet, due to cross border customs/courier hassles.

Raise your issue in the 'community' and you're more likely to get a response, but they may ignore you again when you phone to get a RMA?  
    canuckland
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

@DMW - although unlikely to be used often, the remote app would apparently  be helpful for warm-ageing.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1168974/sv-flat-iron-steak

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    @caliking - I had never heard of that, but you could do exactly that with the app. Something new to try! image
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    More info, Q&A here:
    How far are you off?
    Darian, it was all documented here:

It appears to be spot on at boiling point, but the discrepancy with Thermapen seems to increase as you go lower.  Being non-linear, I'm still not convinced that an app can fix it but simply adding/subtracting a fixed offset.  I'm reluctant to send it back yet, due to cross border customs/courier hassles.

Raise your issue in the 'community' and you're more likely to get a response, but they may ignore you again when you phone to get a RMA?  
    Thank you for all the good information.

"due to cross border customs/courier hassles"…did not even think about that. great point.
    With my first issue I just kept calling for hours till a live person picked up. They gave me an RMA right away and had a new unit in the mail the next day. Granted, it was also defective. This issue is much more minor but still would like it fixed.
    I might just stop in one afternoon.
    Sounds like they might have rolled out the new version a little early as well.
    Hope you get yours squared away soon.
    Take care.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    caliking said:

@DMW - although unlikely to be used often, the remote app would apparently  be helpful for warm-ageing.

Your flat iron steak looks fantastic. Glad I caught it on this post, missed it the first time.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    caliking said:

Your flat iron steak looks fantastic. Glad I caught it on this post, missed it the first time.
    Thanks. First time cooking a flat-iron, and I think it was one of the better things I've made. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Canugghead
    Options
    Thanks Darian. My second kickstarter unit is expected to arrive this month, going to wait for it, and the app, before taking the next step.
    canuckland
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    Thanks Darian. My second kickstarter unit is expected to arrive this month, going to wait for it, and the app, before taking the next step.

At least you can compare the two units against each other.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas