Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What's on the Christmas Menu?

Options
The wife is telling me that Christmas dinner is at our place this year. My brother in law did fried turkey for Thanksgiving, so we'll probably go with a different meat. Just curious - what are your favorite entrees and appetizers for Christmas. Of course, I want to cook it on my Egg.
Victor Chelf
Houston, TX

Just one Large BGE
Visit my Victor's Vittles blog - dedicated to my Big Green Eggventures

Comments

• fletcherfam
    Options
    Ham, smoked deviled eggs, smoked Mac and cheese
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    @vchelf ... Prime Rib is a classic Christmas dinner. Dinner is at our house this year ... I can hardly wait.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    Mad Max Turkey Breast and Egret's Maple-Bourbon Ham for our house....can't wait too !!!!!

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    A rib roast (aka prime rib, standing rib roast).  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options

Xmas Eve - Whole beef tenderloin

Xmas - Crown roast of pork

We usually never cook appetizers, just out of time concerns.  We'll have some pimento cheese, hard cheese(s), salami, bread, crackers, olives and grapes at least. 

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    im a guest this xmas so will probably contribute a seafood chowder of crab/lobster/shrimp/bay scollops. i always try to get some seafood in at xmas
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    We normally do prime rib, reverse seared on the egg. One of these years I really want to try Beef Wellington or a Crown Roast of pork

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• itsmce
    itsmce Posts: 410
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I'm campaigning for a beef tenderloin, but my husband has already expressed an interest in turkey again.  We'll see.  After all, I am the cook! ;)
    Large (sometimes wish it were an XL) in KS
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    We host an annual Christmas party with a bunch of friends each year. This year I'm planning a brisket and rack of pork. I have just under 2 weeks to figure out drinks, sides and apps.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    im a guest this xmas so will probably contribute a seafood chowder of crab/lobster/shrimp/bay scollops. i always try to get some seafood in at xmas
    What time is dinner - I will bring the refreshments?

Garnerville, NY
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    We are supposed to be cooking Christmas dinner this year.  I wanted a prime rib but at the price of beef these days I dont want to spend that much in the risk of a failed cook (I have tried to cook them twice and failed).

I thought of a crown roast but no one wants pork chops.

Garnerville, NY
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Ham! I love smoked ham during the holidays.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • sodigthisbigcrux
    Options
    Xmas Eve...Tamales (Pork butt and chicken for filling will be done on egg a few days prior)
    Xmas Day...Ham

Saving Prime Rib for New Years Eve
    Battle Ground, WA
    Large BGE,  MiniMax  and a Vision Kub.
    Could you call on Lady Day, could you call on John Coltrane?
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    caliking said:
    Ham! I love smoked ham during the holidays.
    Ditto, except I love smoked ham anytime, ham served hot, ham served cold, I can snack on ham watching the idiot box.  Ham in omelettes, ham in mac'n'cheese, ham sandwiches for lunch, ham for midnight raids on the refrigerator.  Ham with top ramen.  Ham, ham, ham, ...
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    Only thing better than ham, is ham wrapped in bacon !!

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Brining a 17# whole ham bone, smoking it and then a glaze of some sort & a decent size brisket flat on the MM + all the sides.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @sodigthisbigcrux‌ mmmmm Tamales! My wife's family traditionally makes these for Christmas. I love them! She told me when she was a kid the kitchen looked like a "kid sweat shop" with like 10 or so kids and adults making the masa and filling with Chicken, pork, beef and sometimes the kill of the day (deer etc). Good stuff man!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    dldawes1 said:
    Only thing better than ham, is ham wrapped in bacon !!

MMMmmm!!! BACON!
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Brining a 17# whole ham bone, smoking it and then a glaze of some sort & a decent size brisket flat on the MM + all the sides.

Did a 20lb whole ham Thanksgiving and took the bone back (kept good meat on it) the next day to be cut in half and put each end in the freezer for ???? later.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    some kind of beef for xmas eve, turkey christmas day.  time constraints will determine what kind of beef to do and if the egg can be used.  i'll definitely smoke some turkey on christmas day though.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Mickey said:

Did a 20lb whole ham Thanksgiving and took the bone back (kept good meat on it) the next day to be cut in half and put each end in the freezer for ???? later.
    @Mickey, I use ham bones for pots of beans (pintos, black-eyed, crowder peas, well anything really).  Something about simmering beans with a bone with extra meat on it that makes them epic.  Can be used with some greens too (mustard, creasy, turnip, etc).  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Nothing for me  :((

We do Christmast breakfast.  After that we're going to Ohio the next day to see my wife's family.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Mickey said:

@Mickey, I use ham bones for pots of beans (pintos, black-eyed, crowder peas, well anything really).  Something about simmering beans with a bone with extra meat on it that makes them epic.  Can be used with some greens too (mustard, creasy, turnip, etc).  

Plus 1++++ ....Plus you forgot patato soup & butter beans.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• GaryLange
    Options
    Christmas to me is Ham on the BGE. I have done two in the past but this year it will be just one. I do sides of Scalloped Corn Casserole, Green Bean Casserole, Garlic Mashed Potatoes and Candied Sweet Potatoes with homemade dinner rolls. I do all the sides in the oven in the house though. Although last year I did do the Sweet Potatoes on the egg.
  • ChicagoEgghead20
    Options
    Prime rib and Lobster Tails! I'm getting hungry already
  • gabriegger
    Options
    Booze, joints, meat

the city above Toronto - Noodleville wtih 2 Large 1 Mini

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Booze, joints, meat

=P~
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Sammi
    Sammi Posts: 598
    Options

Booze, joints, meat

In that order. Lol
    Sudbury, Ontario
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    Hell I'm still eatin turkey day stuff..  :D

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    Pulled pork, and a surprise packer as a gift.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys