Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How hot can your egg get?

I did a clean burn this weekend on the XL as it had so many turkey remants in it something had to be done.  I think it was around 1100F maybe more.  I took the thermo out after it lapped up to 200.  I had the grates glowing and a blue flame coming out of the top.  See attached picts

BTW, the gasket was destroyed in the process so I replaced it.

Comments

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    I've wrapped the thermo around to 600. I don't do many clean burns, but if I do I now take the thermo out.
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Remember to check those bands on the Egg now!

The inside looks pretty clean and white from that middle pic.  How hot do you all think an Egg can get before it causes any damage to the ceramics?  TIA.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490

I thought I read somewhere 2500F was when ceramics break down, maybe it was 2700F.  Can't remember, but the bands did loosen up so I am resetting them tonite and tightening everything down for a pizza cook this Friday nite.

the inside of the XL looked like the day I brought it home.  that off-white vanilla spumoni color.

I can't seem to get the LG much above 600 with the same fuel.  maybe it's simply a function of air flow?

• SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    It's simply letting the air (O2) in.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Wrapped to 600!? Wow. I've been to 2-300 by mistake a few times, drinking to blame. Well that and my own stupidity.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Monty77
    Monty77 Posts: 667
    Jeremiah said:
    Wrapped to 600!? Wow. I've been to 2-300 by mistake a few times, drinking to blame. Well that and my own stupidity.
    I'm with ya on that one!  Been there done that!  A few beers later I forgot all about it
    Large BGE 2011, XL BGE 2015, Mini Max 2015, and member of the "North of the Border Smokin Squad" Canadian Outdoor Chef from London, Ontario, Canada

https://www.flickr.com/photos/monty77/

• Pretty warmimage

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• I can't my large over 700, which is fine by me as I never need to be hotter than that for any reason.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,664
    ive cooked pizza in the large before at about 1200 f. i believe it was bruce from bge that posted that their testing with the large confirmed that about 1200 was the upper limit without a fan device. the pizza was done in 53 seconds
    :D
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • ive cooked pizza in the large before at about 1200 f. i believe it was bruce from bge that posted that their testing with the large confirmed that about 1200 was the upper limit without a fan device. the pizza was done in 53 seconds
    Would a big shop vac with the hose in the exhaust port and shoved in the lower vent be considered a "fan device"?
    ;)

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• fishlessman
    ive cooked pizza in the large before at about 1200 f. i believe it was bruce from bge that posted that their testing with the large confirmed that about 1200 was the upper limit without a fan device. the pizza was done in 53 seconds
    Would a big shop vac with the hose in the exhaust port and shoved in the lower vent be considered a "fan device"?
    ;)
    that would get it hot
    :D now to find the fool that would open it to put the pie in
    :))
    fukahwee maine

• Yer lookin at him. It was a flank steak though

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• jscarfo
    jscarfo Posts: 405
    I have heated seats in my car so my eggs get pretty hot
  • westernbbq

I've been considering an attempt to BROIL, indirect, steak in the BGE by getting it pretty hot.  Ruth's Chris steakhouse claims they broil steak at 1800F.  I don't see getting the BGE that hot but if it was 1200 perhaps throwing a couple of filets on indirect, somehow letting them sear and pulling them off pretty quickly might be a new way to make steaks, almost like an infrared sear

anyone out there try this?  anyone have any pointers before I destroy some beef?  thanks!

• I cook pizzas at 1000 on my large. That said I've wrapped it to the 300 a couple of times. I've blown out a couple of pizza stones that way.
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    @westernbbq‌- I don't know what the safe upper operating temp is, but after I installed my Rutland, I ran mine up to 1,500 degrees for a half hour with a weed burner just to see how the Rutland would respond. Both the egg and Rutland are fine thus far. Note: I'm not condoning or recommending this practice. Just something I wanted to try.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009

@SGH

You crack me up!!!....what do ya' sit around and think..."hey I wonder if....?"

Next thing you know..you'll see if it cooks when the BGE is turned upside down..lmao

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    bcsnave said:

@SGH

You crack me up!!!....what do ya' sit around and think..."hey I wonder if....?"

Next thing you know..you'll see if it cooks when the BGE is turned upside down..lmao

Honestly, I had heard so much about the Rutland that I just wanted to test it out. It certainly lived up to the hype. Best money I have spent on egg upgrades for sure.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    My egg can get pretty hot.  I'm glad I can't see in the infra-red

I've been considering an attempt to BROIL, indirect, steak in the BGE by getting it pretty hot.  Ruth's Chris steakhouse claims they broil steak at 1800F.  I don't see getting the BGE that hot but if it was 1200 perhaps throwing a couple of filets on indirect, somehow letting them sear and pulling them off pretty quickly might be a new way to make steaks, almost like an infrared sear

anyone out there try this?  anyone have any pointers before I destroy some beef?  thanks!

if you put an old wok in there on a spider, fill it with sand, put a pizza stone on top, get the egg to 1200 degrees, the dome will fill with a blue fireball that hovers over the stone by a few inches. thats how i was cooking pizzas. the dome is hotter than the stone with that setup. the drawback is that the metal bands expand and its very easy to drop the dome out when opening it. the older eggs had a pin in the band that helped the dome from slipping out, the newer eggs dont have the pin feature
    fukahwee maine

• westernbbq
    that is a brilliant idea.  I've had the bands expand on my XL with 1000F plus temps three times now and thankfully, haven't lost a dome yet but I do get nervous when it shifts around.  I am wondering if BGE company is working on an improved design to help prevent the loss of a hot dome?
  • fishlessman
    if your going to be operating at those temps you need to make these, charwoody from the primo forum came up with this idea years ago

fukahwee maine

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    if your going to be operating at those temps you need to make these, charwoody from the primo forum came up with this idea years ago

last time I talked with C~W I'm pretty sure he told me he quit makin those clips and now doesn't even hang around Primo forum anymore either. Great guy that Fred. BTW I asked about the well being of Old Dave who was a good buddy of his and he said Dave has had some serious health issues.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • fishlessman
    the clips are easy to make anyways, dont remember if he bought longer clinch studs or just used the ones on the handle. too bad about dave, i still go to his site to look things up
    fukahwee maine

• I thought I read somewhere 2500F was when ceramics break down, maybe it was 2700F.

The egg parts are killed @ 2400F so you're probably pretty close.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Highest I've gone is 700, never see a reason to go higher than that.
  • Kilned, not killed. 8-}
  • TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    I pegged out once back in 2006. Who knows how high this was? <rhetorical image
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans