Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

-4 F this morning... perfect day to smoke a brisket!

Options
I just love the smell of the egg in the cold air. I've had this one in the fridge for a few weeks and I worked from home today so it was the perfect day to embrace the -20 wind chill of MN. Prime 9.5# packer aged 8 weeks in the cryovac. I normally go 225 degrees until done but today, I didn't have that much time. I went 275 with Rockwood and 6 pieces of oak and it was finished in about 7 hours. It was one of the best textured briskets I've ever done. You can't really see how juicy it was from the crappy phone pic but it was very moist and draped over a knife as good as my best ever cook. Only change I would make is I went a little light on the Black Ops and didn't use any mustard - the bark could have been a little better.

imageimage
L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
eggAddict from MN!

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    You people with the - in front of the temp. [-(

brisket lookups awesome thermometer is ridiculous.
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I mean that briskly looks better the longer I look.
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    @theyolksonyou - our high today was +6. Is that better?  :D

Oh, and thanks for the compliment!
    eggAddict from MN!
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Looks like a winner to me =D>

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Ours was that x 10 + some. I hate cold.

don't know what the hell be rotter means, but changed to better :D I also hate auto correct.
  • Monty77
    Monty77 Posts: 667
    Options
    very nice indeed
    Large BGE 2011, XL BGE 2015, Mini Max 2015, and member of the "North of the Border Smokin Squad" Canadian Outdoor Chef from London, Ontario, Canada

https://www.flickr.com/photos/monty77/

• bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    Options

@minniemoh

Wow...can't imagine that kinda' temp...being from down south of you ...here we had much warmer temps at +3 degrees ...(Elkhart Lake WI).

Great looking brisket..gonna do a packer this weekend...

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,347
    Options
    Most eggcellent cook right there.  I try to run around 260-280*F on the dome for packers but instead of seeing around 1 hour/lb of late they have been coming in at around 3/4 hr/lb like yours.  As soon as I adjust for that then the cow will change its mind again.  But about the most fun cook there is for the BGE. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    That is a good looking brisket. You are tougher than me to survive those temps. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Black_Badger
    Options
    Honestly, that is really a beautiful brisket! Congratulations there! Amazing smoke ring too; did you do anything in particular to draw that out?

Cheers -
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • minniemoh
    Options
    Thank you for all the compliments. 

@Black_Badger - I didn't do anything different than any other time I've made a brisket. It is one of the best smoke rings I've every had though. I waited a long time for the smoke to clear but it never did. I believe what I was seeing coming out of the egg was mostly steam as it continued for the entire 7 hours. I hadn't used that egg in a few weeks so maybe it had a little extra moisture in the ceramics - I don't know. 

Once this summer, my SBGE was very slow to come to temp. We had gotten several rainstorms over the previous 10 days or so and the egg was literally weeping moisture out through the coating on the outside of the egg as it got to cooking temp. When I saw it steaming, I thought I had a crack but it was literally hissing as it was steaming and weeping. No cracks so it must have taken on a little moisture. Maybe my L had the same thing going on and it somehow helped the smoke ring. Maybe it was just the temp. I have no idea. Anyway, thank you for the kind words.
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,518
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Only cooked brisket once with mediocre result but had decent success with Montreal smoked meat ... after seeing this you got me debating whether the brisket in the freezer should be cooked as brisket instead of Montreal smoked meat  8-}

As for " I waited a long time for the smoke to clear but it never did", you need to make sure your lump is fully lit, read the "up or down" thread 
    ;)
    canuckland
  • Budgeezer
    Options
    Nice!  I had a similar cook last winter and achieved a crazy smoke ring, maybe a coincidence but I think the cold may have played a role.
    Edina, MN

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    Nicely done
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • drewmack
    Options
    Fat side up or down?
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    Nice looking Brisket!  

I have a 12 lb choice Angus packer planned for Friday.  I am also planning to run at about 275.  The Egg is cleaned out, refilled, and ready to light with oak and hickory for smoke.  Will FTC until serving time.  Can't wait, and looking forward to the leftovers!
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • minniemoh
    Options
    Budgeezer said:
    Nice!  I had a similar cook last winter and achieved a crazy smoke ring, maybe a coincidence but I think the cold may have played a role.
    I think you might be right @Budgeezer. It seems as if I've had my best smoke rings in the Winter months. I don't understand the science of it all - I guess I should do some homework. 

@drewmack - I always do brisket fat side down. I would rather lose fat stuck to the grate than good bark. No other reason. 

@Cookingbob - good luck this weekend. I'm sure it will come out great. I look forward to seeing the results. 

eggAddict from MN!
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options

minniemoh--

That brisket is GORGEOUS> I  tend to make them too long but in early August, in Phoenix, when the temp was a balmy 115F, I made one that looked about 80 percent as good as the one you just made- and that one was my best ever.  brisket tacos, with ice cold cervezas poolside, because after all, brisket is the best thing to use to combat harsh weather!  That smoke ring is laser perfect

nicely done.