Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New egg, how many fires before I can start to get it hot?

What is an easy way to smoke ribs and pork shoulder?

Comments

• Welcome. Really one low cook 400 or under should cure the gasket. For smoking a butt or brisket you will need a plate setter or a stone to set up indirect. Load it up with lump and your choice or wood and shoot for 250 dome until you hit your target temp. You will just need to play around with it to learn how to set your vents and search the forum if you are after more detailed info, more than one way to skin a cat.

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• Thanks! What is an easy DIY spicy rub for ribs
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Mic key's coffee rub. Google it. He's a legend around here. If you don't have the stuff salt and pepper will work fine
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• One. Fire it up and get cooking.

the city above Toronto - Noodleville wtih 2 Large 1 Mini

• Welcome. Amazing ribs has some good DIY rubs as well. Keep asking questions here, you'll get more answers than you can stand.
  • just cook. forget the gasket. I havent had one on my xL or med in years. No issues.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • We recommend 4/5 cooks under 400 degrees and have found that the stock gasket will hold up rather well after curing up the adhesive.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    edited December 2014
    Welcome....enjoy !!!!!

No break-in necessary...start cooking....and....make sure you take pics !!!!!

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    If you've got em smoke em! Lump that is :))
    Cook away mi amigo.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • cook861
    cook861 Posts: 872
    Welcome learn from cooking and ask question some here will have an ansewer

Trenton ON 1 mbge for now
  • bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009

@travisstrick

Do you feel good.....like I knew you would

Do you feel nice....like sugar and spice

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• flynnbob
    flynnbob Posts: 665
    just cook. forget the gasket. I havent had one on my xL or med in years. No issues.
    I am kinda finding the same thing after almost 2 years.  I will replace it eventually but so far, so good ...
    Milton, GA.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Your gasket will be fine or fall off. Nothing to do with how you do your first cook.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    This is how I cook ribs. Baby Back Turbo Ribs (No flip) 350 indirect for 1hr 40 min. Before cooking: Pull membrane , rub, mustard, rub. Put on at 350 and leave the hell alone for about that time. This is called turbo ribs and I will never go back to 4 and 5 hour ribs. Note: with or w/o mustard works .. I like Bad Byron's Butt Rub / I like cherry & pecan mix for wood. If you want sauce: opened 15 min early and sauce. I like the sauce on the table.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.