Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Needed a good steak

Options
Monty77
Monty77 Posts: 667
edited December 2014 in Beef
Due to the chaos of being a Manager in the retail world, I have not been home enough to Egg in over two weeks.  So tonight I wanted to cook up a monster steak to treat myself after a hectic couple weeks and surviving Black Friday!  

My local butcher friend gave me this beauty, a 3.2 lb aged 28 days Tomahawk.  I rubbed it with cluck n squeal original seasonings.  Let it get to room temp while I prepared the egg for indirect grilling at 275 for a perfect reverse sear.  I used a handful of cherry and whiskey chips for the smoke.  

It took about 1 hour to reach an internal temp of 120*, I pulled it off and rested for 15 minutes while the egg cranked up to 550*

I seared using a cast iron pan and once the internal temp hit 135*, I removed from the grill.  A short wait and then it was time to enjoy this beast!  I did share it with my wife and the dog enjoyed the bone!  

What a perfect way to get back to Eggin!  
Large BGE 2011, XL BGE 2015, Mini Max 2015, and member of the "North of the Border Smokin Squad" Canadian Outdoor Chef from London, Ontario, Canada

https://www.flickr.com/photos/monty77/

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    Good lawd! That's nice!
  • TN2TX
    TN2TX Posts: 298
    Options
    Looks great! Probably worth the wait. 
    Dallas, TX
  • tjosborne
    Options
    When you reverse sear how do you take the temp? Just keep sticking it with a thermometer or do you have one you leave in the steak?
    middle of nowhere- G.I. NE
  • Monty77
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I have a digi Q with a probe that I leave in for the low temp part of the cook.  I double check with my thermopen as well.  Just to be sure all is accurate.  
    Large BGE 2011, XL BGE 2015, Mini Max 2015, and member of the "North of the Border Smokin Squad" Canadian Outdoor Chef from London, Ontario, Canada

• Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    Options
    That looks awesome! Nice sear with the pan!
    NW IOWA
  • Central_Bama_Egger
    Options
    Man. That looks fantastic. Glad you survived the mayhem.
    Huntsville, Al LBGE
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Just looking back thru this post. What size is that cutting board? Again, good lawd!
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I agree, sometimes a man just needs a good steak just because. Yours is off the chain ^:)^

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,654
    Options
    Whoa!!!!

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• ChicagoEgghead20
    Options
    That looks gorgeous - glad you survived black friday - people sure are nuts
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,624
    Options
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited December 2014
    Options

Options
    Looks great.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options
  • TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    Options
    Looks so good! Damn shame that you had to share it.
    Oh and be careful with your dog. You should never give them a cooked bone. Raw yes. Cooked no.
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    TigerTony said:
    Looks so good! Damn shame that you had to share it. Oh and be careful with your dog. You should never give them a cooked bone. Raw yes. Cooked no.

What is the reason of no cooked bone (talking about a large bone like this one)?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    +1 @Mickey‌ question. My dog gets plenty of cooked bones. Something I'm missing?
  • TigerTony
    edited December 2014
    Options
    @Mickey -- 

Cooked bones get hard and brittle. They are not good for their teeth, can even break dogs teeth.

Ever notice how their gums and tongue can sometimes get bloody while gnawing on teh cooked bone? That's from cuts caused by the sharp bone. Not good. 

Cooked bones break apart easier then raw bones and can get lodged in their esophagus or windpipe.

They don't digest and the sharp fragments from teh bones can tear up their stomach and intestines. That can causes bacterial infections called peritonitis which can be deadly.

Raw bones are much safer to give your dog. 
    Softer and very beneficial for their teeth and gums.
    Raw bones tend not to splinter as much as the cooked bones do
    They digest easily. 

You still need to supervise your dog when giving a raw bone. They can be a choking hazard too.
    Raw is safe otherwise.

check this out:   

My dog is a little 14 lb Havanese and she loves raw chicken necks. Very safe and healthy for your dogs unless they are too aggressive of an eater and inhale the whole bone.

New Orleans

• DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Cute dog - love the "eye brows". Looks like she is well cared for.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• TigerTony
    edited December 2014
    Options
    @DieselkW Thanks! That's my little girl "Petunia". I love my dog!
    She is the first small dog I've had. 

Before her we had a German Shepherd dog "Angel". So wonderful, but big and she shed grocery bags full of hair. And her tail would wag and break things and injure my children ;) She passed at the age of 14 a year after Katrina wiped us out. I was heartbroken over losing Angel. I still get choked up.

My wife wanted a smaller dog that didn't shed. Did some research and found the Havanese breed.
    Let me tell you I can't say enough good things about the Havanese breed . She is a little clown, and smart whoaa...you have no idea. No shedding no BS.

I have a soft heart for all dogs. I love them all.

Someone should start a thread to post and show off our "best friends".

@Monty77 -- Sorry if I hi-jacked yor thread. The bone question knocked us off course. Hope ya understand.

New Orleans

• Monty77
    Options
    TigerTony said:
    @DieselkW Thanks! That's my little girl "Petunia". I love my dog!
    She is the first small dog I've had. 

Before her we had a German Shepherd dog "Angel". So wonderful, but big and she shed grocery bags full of hair. And her tail would wag and break things and injure my children ;) She passed at the age of 14 a year after Katrina wiped us out. I was heartbroken over losing Angel. I still get choked up.

My wife wanted a smaller dog that didn't shed. Did some research and found the Havanese breed.
    Let me tell you I can't say enough good things about the Havanese breed . She is a little clown, and smart whoaa...you have no idea. No shedding no BS.

I have a soft heart for all dogs. I love them all.

Someone should start a thread to post and show off our "best friends".

@Monty77 -- Sorry if I hi-jacked yor thread. The bone question knocked us off course. Hope ya understand.

It's all good, I found the topic quite informative as well. I have a 90 lb yellow lab, he enjoys all forms of bones and we monitor him carefully when indulging in chewing activities.  

PS, there already is a thread for our furry friends!  Quite a good looking group of four legged family members.