Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

smokey cheese time

Options
Every year at this time I buy up some cheese and fire up the Amaze-n-smoker. This cheese will be ready for Christmas. I'll let it go 3 hours then vacuum seal it. imageimageimageimage
LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Thanks for the reminder! I also have 3# of almonds to cold smoke.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    How long did you smoke it?
    Greensboro, NC
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Looking good man. I love smoked cheese :D

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    Looks good @greg345. I smoked some a couple of weeks ago. I smoked mine for 5 hrs with the A-maz-N smoker. I've never done it before and I hope I didn't go too long. I may let it mellow for another couple of weeks before I give it a try. It smelled pretty "ashy" when I took it off. I'm a little nervous that I went for too long. What do you guys think?

Sorry to hijack your thread with my question.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • grege345
    Options
    They even smell way to ashy when you take them off after 2 hours. I usually do 3-3.5 hours @minniemoh‌ it's all personal preference. Swmbo says 1.5 hours is enough but I can hardly tell a difference in that amount of time

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    minniemoh said:
    Looks good @greg345. I smoked some a couple of weeks ago. I smoked mine for 5 hrs with the A-maz-N smoker. I've never done it before and I hope I didn't go too long. I may let it mellow for another couple of weeks before I give it a try. It smelled pretty "ashy" when I took it off. I'm a little nervous that I went for too long. What do you guys think?

Sorry to hijack your thread with my question.

Depending on the size of the blocks, we smoke it 4-6 hours with real good luck. That said I like a pronounced smoke flavor though. The ashy smell will dismiss with time in the fridge.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• UncleFred
    Options
    This all looks great, and would love to be on your Christmas list!

But...

While reading this thread I couldn't help thinking of an old song by Two Ton Baker that you might want to play while doing your smoking...

http://twotonbaker.com/2ton/music/mp3s/m-2771-stinky.mp3
    San Diego, CA - Where I've mastered Curmudgeon..working on Recluse.
  • eggo
    eggo Posts: 492
    Options
    Sorry if I missed it, but what dome temp do you use?
    Eggo in N. MS
  • grege345
    Options
    I used amaze-N-smoker. Doesn't hardly raise temp inside te egg. Outside temp when I did it was 30°

• Chef Charles
    Options

I smoked up some cheese a week ago.  The blocks have been vacusealed and are resting comfortably in the fridge.  Will be sharing with relatives at Christmas time.  Now, I have to get some almonds to smoke before the holidays.

Tom

Charles is a mischevious feline who always has something cooking

Twin lbge's .. grew up in the sun parlor of Canada but now egging in the nation's capital