Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Anyone have any advice for a career change?

Options
I think I am ready for something completely different.   Anyone ever do complete career change?  Any advice?  
Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I've had that thought at least once a week for the past 27 years....
    Options
    You never did it @nolaegghead ?
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Nope.  Stayed the course.  I moved from chemist to IT developer but been at the same company forever.  I would like to start my own biz, but it would be a lot more work.  Maybe someday.  I'm maxed out on benefits like sick/vacation.  Would hate to lose that.
    Options
    I want to be a gentleman farmer, living off the grid (except for internet! :) ). Will have to wait a while until finances allow... unless I win the lottery first.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    If I thought I could find something with comparable compensation that I'd be good at, I'd jump in a heartbeat. Unfortunately or mostly fortunately, I have deep roots in this area and it is dominated by manufacturing. I don't want to travel all the time and my personality is for $hit when it comes to sales/consulting. Guess I'll ride it out.
  • rtt121
    rtt121 Posts: 653
    Options
    I am 8 years into a career that I have advanced well in.  

I have no sick days as I don't even get them.  Certainly have nothing accrued and I am not payed nearly on par with the industry average.  I have never had a weekend off and I am starting to think a 40 hr job would be nice.  Entry level a lot of places I can make what I am making now.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Sounds like you do need a career change unless there's a payoff with time served.  What are you doing?
    Options
    I'm seriously debating it as well. I'm completely burned out on what I'm doing. Honestly if I make it to January with out putting in my notice it'll be a miracle.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Oh wait. I have crushing student loan debt. Scratch that. I love what I do. 8-}
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • rtt121
    Options
    @nolaegghead

I sent you PM.  I don't want to announce my position on the googles.
  • Black_Badger
    Options
    I've jumped around a bit (between companies and between roles) but always within the same industry. Started in MFG, moved to R&D, then to marketing, and now sales. Ultimately I figure if you're not happy doing what you're doing it's worth making a change. If you're doing something you enjoy it's worth sticking with it.

Good luck, and I hope you're able to find an opportunity that makes you happy; that's WAY more important than chasing the highest paying option you can find.

Cheers -
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • rtt121
    Options
    @Black_Badger

I do enjoy what I do.  But my industry is dyeing and I am 30.  I don't want to imagine what the landscape of my industry looks like in 30 years.
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    There is a rule of 40.

40 hours a week for 40 years making someone else wealthy so you can retire on 40% of your salary.

I was forced into self employment in May this year. 

I found that I am a fantastic boss. All the time off I want, flexible work hours, and unlimited vacation. I absolutely love working for myself, no commuting and no accountability for my time.

The pay sucks. So what? If the day comes I absolutely NEED a job, I'll get one. Until then, I'm trying to buy low and sell at a reasonable profit. 

Feast and famine - made a deal worth $30k early in my new career- at the "job" I would have gotten 2% of that on top of salary, working for myself, I kept all of it (I have to pay tax on that income, so minus 20%)

I can live on $24k for 6 months without changing any habits, like buying lump and prime beef.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    same place my whole life, i must like banging my head on my desk. today im banging it because a papermill digester vessel i sent to columbia a few months back is stuck in customs because they think its a warship, i should not of used the word "vessel", "tank" probably would not fly either.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    I think about it constantly.  If you're not doing something you enjoy you'll be miserable.  I've been doing the finance thing since school.  Pays pretty good, but the benefits are pretty irreplaceable with the time I've built.

It would be fine if things would slow down a bit, but mandatory overtime is burning me out.  Once I get the finances to a point I'm comfortable with, I definitely see a semi retirement or downshift in my career.

Hang in there, and always evaluate where you are and where you're going to be.  Never get comfy, it's not always left up to you.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    edited December 2014
    Options
    If you don't like what you're doing ... then change!  It's scary to contemplate changing.  But, if you're unhappy now, it's not as scary as the thought of doing the same thing for the same company for the rest of your working career with an increasing sense of frustration.  You need to change how you think about your present job/career, or change your job/career.

I changed my career field and went back to school for two years before heading off to work in a job that I loved.  Two years with no income and no guaranteed job at the end.  One of the best decisions we/I made.

I apologize if it sounds like preaching ... not meant to be that way.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• rtt121
    Options
    Some good advice. Thanks guys
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    I hear you and understand your frustration, but here's some sage advice I received years ago from an old man...remember the key rule for aerobatic stunt men...never let go of one wing until you have a good hold of the other wing. 

I believe in this day and age with unemployment with what it is then that rule is even more applicable! Good luck to you!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Smokinpig
    Options
    I got bored and got out. Started my own company in 2005 and enjoyed it. Sadly it did not survive the downturn despite my best efforts. I have been looking for full time employment since January of 2011. I have worked a few contract gigs but still cannot find anything solid. 

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I want to be a scientist and get a grant studying VOCs from charcoal as burned from the bottom of the pile versus the top of the pile. After I figure that out, I'll study the difference between soaking and not soaking smoke wood. After that maybe the mysteries of fat side up or down.

Now, where to send my resume....hmmm.
    Flint, Michigan
  • NCSmoky
    NCSmoky Posts: 515
    Options
    Sold my business of 27 years as of Dec. 23rd. Going to help my wife with her business and spend lots of time egging and growing food. Have been at my job since I was 23 and have really hated it for the last 10 years. Getting out while I have my health and whats left of my sanity. Life is far too short to run on the Hamster wheel forever..
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options

Have you ever pushed for a raise? I know my company gives like 3% raises and thats all unless you force their hand. In 7 years I have managed to increase my salary by 250% by letting them know I was not satisfied and working hard to make sure they knew they had to keep me.

• hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options

I have been doing my job at my current position for just over 9 years. I was at 2 other places for 3 years each prior.

Here I have full benefits (I had this at the last 2 places), but here I have sick time which accrues over the years. I currently have 4 months of pay if something does happen. I have a pension and can retire with full pension at 57. The latter 2 reasons keep me where I am at and I assume for the long haul. I have been offered more money at other places within the industry but not in the same position but with out the 2 latter benefits. When I worked out the "real money" (as my dad called it) I am better of staying put.

I am not unhappy where I am but I am not jumping out of bed to get to work either. I find that work gets in the way of the stuff I really want to do.

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Couple of things you said seem really important:

"I have no sick days as I don't even get them."

&

" I don't want to imagine what the landscape of my industry looks like in 30 years."

Seems like you can read the handwriting on the wall. Time to move.

Do you even have health benefits of any kind? If you do, hold on to the job for as long as practicable. #1 cause of bankruptcy in US is medical bills.

When I was about 35 yrs., I had a friend who was a job counselor. I was seriously considering a big change. She asked about my "network." Essentially, contact all business associates, friends and family.

Back then, it took about 6 mo's to find something new, and relocate. I had the $s to do that. From what I know, today, its can be more like 18 mos.

I don't know that you can consider finding something completely different than what you are doing. You are young enough, and from what you say have enough evidence of good work, that if you have some relevant skill in a new job, you might look for a position above bottom rung.

Do understand that the costs of self employment are quite high. As far as I know, you must put aside money for unemployment benefits if you fire yourself.
  • rtt121
    Options
    RRP said:
    .remember the key rule for aerobatic stunt men...never let go of one wing until you have a good hold of the other wing. 
    I agree with that.  Not going to simply up and leave. 

Lit said:

Have you ever pushed for a raise?

Yes. I got a decent one last year and was put in for a decent one next year pending budget approvals.  There is only 1 man above me on the totem pole and his salary is 5x my salary.  I was eyeing his job, he announced retirement last week.  They are bringing someone else in.

gdenby said:

Do you even have health benefits of any kind? If you do, hold on to the job for as long as practicable. #1 cause of bankruptcy in US is medical bills.

When I was about 35 yrs., I had a friend who was a job counselor. I was seriously considering a big change. She asked about my "network." Essentially, contact all business associates, friends and family.

Do understand that the costs of self employment are quite high. As far as I know, you must put aside money for unemployment benefits if you fire yourself.
    I do have full health insurance. It was just downgraded as of today but I still have it.

My network is probably my best thing going for me.  I know people from almost every industry.

Thanks again all.  Good advice for sure.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I did it 5 years ago. Was a pretty bumpy ride but turned out awesome. I was in the same job for 15 yrs. It was a great job (work from home, made lots of $ and had total freedom to work when I wanted for the most part). I knew it was going to come to an end soon (and it did) but was still riding the wave. One day I got recruited to go to a new company doing something else. I talked with them for several months and one day I just said "F-it" and I took it. It was a shock to the system but it's been 100% for the better after the dust all settled. I knew I needed to branch out but was really comfortable so I wasn't putting a lot of effort in to it. The recruiter was just the nudge I needed to take the plunge. I left some serious coin on the table for the first 3 years but it's all balanced out now. I really don't even give that a 2nd thought. I've learned so much and bolstered my value miles beyond where I ever would have been had I stayed. I get recruited all the time now- options are a good thing. I'm happy where I am, but if the day comes that I'm not, I have many more options than I ever would have if I had done one thing my while career..

I highly recommend it if you can handle the risk. I was miserable 2 years in and thought I'd made a horrible mistake. They realigned the company, I got a new boss, and now I wouldn't trade it for anything. It won't be easy but could be worth more than just salary or benefits you gain from making a move. Just having options increases your leverage with your current employer as well. 

Good luck and be prepared for a few bumps along the way. You can count mine in the success column but it was not always apparent it would be that way.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • TylerA
    TylerA Posts: 85
    Options
    Would you be willing to relocate?  If so, you may want to consider a job in the oilfield.  Great pay and benefits, but you will have to work a lot of hours.  
    LBGE
    Huffman, TX
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    edited December 2014
    Options
    the fact you mention below average pay and benefits suggests either you need to switch employers, or you are not a good match for the job.  Switching employers in your industry and maybe getting a promotion in the process might cure most of your issues if the issue is not that of job match with your skills.  A complete career switch is easier done younger than older, so make the jump if you hate what you do and the industry is tanking.  

Skills and experience are generally the main things that you have to offer.  If you are switching industries and want to switch job duties, it is a hard path to follow when unemployment is not low and wages are not rising.  You'll need to find opportunities to meet people one-on-one.  Jobs applied through a website are going to be hard to get as many companies use filters / key words to screen for candidates with on-point experience and if you are making a big career switch, you'll have a hard time getting in the door that way. 

Give some serious thought to how you can package your skills so that employers will recognize what you can do and how it would apply to them.  The same goes for industry experience, especially if your industry has a poor reputation.  This packaging applies to both a 30 second verbal pitch to someone you just met, as well as to a resume & cover letter if you'll be submitting written information.

Completing certification and training programs in the work area or industry you are pursuing can help.  If you do this, make sure that the certification is recognized as rigorous, and not just as something obtained by primarily paying a fee.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    Options
    @theyolksonyou  -- 

You said:  " and my personality is for $hit when it comes to sales/consulting. "

I don't know man. You'd really make a great BGE sales / consultant
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• UncleFred
    Options
    O.K. ...now you're in my wheelhouse.

Determine what it is you'd like to do.
    The first order of business is to make a plan (those that fail to plan, plan to fail).
    Then show your plan to people whose opinion you value/trust (therefore you shouldn't post it here!)
    Next write down a "map" on how to achieve your goal. (People spend much more time planning a 2 week vacation than they do their career paths)
    Constantly refer to your plan/map to access if conditions or your desires have changed do to circumstances. Revise it if necessary.

For example... lets say you're 35, got a high school GED and work at Walmart, but you realllllly want to be a world famous brain surgeon.  Practical? not really. Easy? nope. Could it happen? really long odds against...  maybe you should step back and revise your plan.  Perhaps being an X-ray tech in a hospital surgery ward would be fulfilling...
    Once you've firmed up what you want to do (being totally honest with yourself) THEN map out how to get there.  ...and make milestones. (in 6 months I need to be here, having accomplished that, and preparing this to get me to my next milestone... in 12 months I need to be... etc.  You get the picture)
    If you're honest with yourself, do your research (Gee I'd like to start my own restaurant..but I really don't want to work 18 hour days and all holidays), revise, as necessary and then stick to your plan, you'll have a much better chance at success.

Thus endeth the sermon/lesson for today...
    San Diego, CA - Where I've mastered Curmudgeon..working on Recluse.