Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Electronics Roll Call

Options
2»

Comments

• Big_Green_Craig
    Options
    @nealcr1‌ I like the Time Stick. They are worth it. I actually have two.
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    I have a meager collection. Maverick 733 and thermapen. Works ok for me.
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    Maverick and thermopen. Thinking about a party q, but as others have mentioned, I'm not sure how much I'd really use it. Still might be this year's gift.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • dboram
    dboram Posts: 54
    Options
    Thermapen that I use every cook...and Flame Boss 100 and Maverick ET732 for l&s. Happy with all of them.
    Houston, Texas
    Large, MiniMax, and another Large.
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Thermoworks products:
    -Thermapen
    -Thermapen backlit
    -Timestick
    -TW8060

Stoker (white box)
    Stoker Wi-Fi

Maverick ET-732
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    DMW said:
    Mav ET-732
    Mav ET-733
    BBQ Guru PartyQ
    Green Thermapen
    Orange Thermapen
    2 x Timesticks
    Anova Precision Cooker
    GE Microwave :D

If I may, which do you like best out of the 732 & 733? And why?

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I have a DigiQ, Thermapen, 2 timesticks, Mav, two turntables and a microphone.  And a used rectal thermometer that @eggcelsior insisted on giving me.  He said it was good for butt.
    Options
    @SGH
    I bought the 732 first, the 733 wasn't available yet then.
    I like the 733 better, because you can set either probe to monitor pit or meat temps. When used along with my PartyQ, I don't need to monitor pit temp, the PartyQ handles that. But there are many times I have more than 1 meat on. In fact today I had both my 732 and 733 running. 732 was monitoring pit and one meat. 733 was monitoring the other 2 meats. I had turkey thighs, drumsticks, and wings on. And I was inside watching football.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SGH
    Options
    I have a DigiQ, Thermapen, 2 timesticks, Mav, two turntables and a microphone.  And a used rectal thermometer that @eggcelsior insisted on giving me.  He said it was good for butt.

I would like to hear more on this rectal thermometer ;)

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    @DMW- Thank you. Going to ask for the 733 for Christmas. Since I'm the one buying the gifts, I'm sure that there will be one in my stocking!!

Status- Standing by.

• nolaegghead
    Options
    @SGH - I'm sorry to report they look exactly like oral thermometers. 

I really don't use my electronics much anymore.  The themapen frequently and the time sticks for non-egging things, but mostly  I just poke at stuff with my finger and look at it.
    Options

I really don't use my electronics much anymore.  The themapen frequently and the time sticks for non-egging things, but mostly  I just poke at stuff with my finger and look at it.

I do a lot of finger poking and looking myself. My wife can vouch for this ;)

Status- Standing by.

• ChicagoEgghead20
    Options
    Ivation Long Range Wireless Digital Thermometer

Thermopop

Grill Led Light
  • nolaegghead
    Options

SGH said:

So you're saying you don't use the electronic gadgetry.... ;)
    Options

SGH said:

So you're saying you don't use the electronic gadgetry.... ;)

Only on very special occasions :>

Status- Standing by.

• nolaegghead
    Options
    Brown chicken brown cow!!!
    I have 3 thermapens.  One for the kitchen, one for the backyard, and one for the bbq toolbag in the trunk of my car. What, I'm the weirdo for having a bbq toolbag in my car?  Whatever.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I sold my Digi Q and gave Travis my Party Q. I had two Larges running with an 18lb turkey and a 20 lb ham. No/zero electronics (only my Thermapen). No worries that stuff was working and hadn't pulled out a wire, etc. stress free cooking. Have not used that stuff in years and do not miss it. image
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    edited December 2014
    Options

Stoker and may look at an iGrill2 or iGrill Mini.

I really like the iGrill2. I like the fact that it charts your cook in an excel spreadsheet so you can review your cook and see when you hit a stall and how long it was in it, etc. The down side is the bluetooth range. 

@Big_Green_Craig‌, I just got my iGrill 2 and have only used it twice. I like the convenience of monitoring from inside the house. Once hooked up it works fine. My problem is with the app. How are you recording your cooks? I can only view what I'm currently cooking. Once the probes are unplugged, I cannot view the cook. iDevices spent more money on placing advertising products in the app compared to making it user friendly. I bought their product to use it, not look at their advertising. Please give me advice on app if I'm missing something. The pic below is what I see when I open the app.

Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Big_Green_Craig Posts: 1,578
    edited December 2014
    Options
    @stemc33‌ I have not encountered that problem. It's been a while since ice used it, I thought there was an option to export the cook data? Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app?
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    The Maverick 733 and Thermapen for now.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,742
    Options
    thermapen only. not even a microwave.
    :D was a magical weekend on tday here, a foot of snow, power was out, family was up ta camp, egg was smoking away, propane burner outside ready to boil potatoes, the women were just plain angry and indoors, i drank and stacked a couple cords firewood and stayed outside
    :)) electrically free zone
    :)) just before the bird was done the power came on, darnit, i was looking forward to gravy off the gasser
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • bo_mull
    bo_mull Posts: 363
    Options
    Stoker and a very old and slow thermapen.

Cleveland, TN.

LG BGE, PSWOO2, Stoker WIFI.

• anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    Thermoworks Dot, Thermapen.
    :)>-
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    edited December 2014
    Options
    My arsenal consists of:

Blue Thermapen (reasonably happy with it but could have gotten by with my ProTemp)

Mav Protemp (mine is just as accurate as my Thermapen but about 1-2 sec slower and was about 1/2 the price)

Mav 732 - small and easy to take when I travel with the SBGE

CyberQ WiFi - I've had plenty of troubles trying to load firmware updates on this thing. It needs another one now but I just haven't taken the time to attempt it. It was a computer issue with the program required for installing the software update. 

L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    I have a DigiQ and love it. Use it 2-3 times a month for overnight low and slow. Only downside is no remote monitoring.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA