Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Semi-OT ... Oh my that was good!

Options
My wife and I have been talking about trying our luck at chicken & dumplings. I honestly don't think I've had them since I was a kid. Neither of us have ever cooked them. So Friday night I spatched and egged a chicken and pulled all the meat off the bone and stuck it in the fridge. Today while I was sleeping (worked last night) she made the dish. Let me tell you that it was great. We will definitely be doing this again. I know traditionally you boil the chicken but it was awesome with the spatched bird. Sorry but I had to include the fork in the pic. ;)

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

Nice! That's comfort food right there.

Are those the thick noodle type of dumplings? I like the round biscuit like dumplings personally. Is it a regional difference?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Looks like a winner to me. For the record, I like the fork :D

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    Love some chicken & dumplings

@caliking‌ not sure dumpling type is regional. My mom always made the round from biscuit dough as do I. My wife's grandmother would make the flat noodle type although I think they were basically the same dough just stiffer and rolled out. They lived about 10 miles apart all their lives. Not sure where the difference lies. Just preference I guess.
  • bo31210
    bo31210 Posts: 715
    Options
    Doughy rectangular things is what I am used too. Have had it with biscuit lookings one as well. Just make sure you ca use a fork with them :)
    In the middle of Georgia!    Geaux Tigers!!!!!
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,657
    Options
    Thanks guys. @caliking these were the flat type dumplings. We didn't want the thick ones because we thought they may be to doughy. These were just right.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• caliking
    Options
    That's a good point. Do you have to make them from scratch or is there something from the grocery store that works just as well?

• shtgunal3
    Options
    @caliking the wife made these from scratch. I'm not sure if you can buy them pre-made or not.

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    One of my favorites as well.  Nicely done!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • caliking
    Options
    shtgunal3 said:

@caliking the wife made these from scratch. I'm not sure if you can buy them pre-made or not.

Well, the next logical question would be - recipe? Please? :)

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    Love C&Ds. My wife makes a killer recipe that always gets finished completely.
    Dunedin, FL
  • shtgunal3
    Options
    Thanks John. Cali the chicken was just spatched an seasoned with John Henry's (aloha Chicken and fish i think) and egged raised direct. I'll have to talk to the missus and get back with you on the dumplings.

• Central_Bama_Egger
    Options
    I'll be tuning in for the recipe as well.
    Huntsville, Al LBGE
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    I can give you my dumplin recipe.

2 parts self rising flour

1 dollop about quarter sized of Crisco. Pinch it in till flour is consistency of oatmeal

1 part milk of your choice

blend by hand until you have a ball

pinch off small parts and add to boiling broth from get he chicken(assuming you boiled it)

if I wanted to make the flat kind, I'd reduce Crisco and milk and make a stiffer dough, roll out flat and cut.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    I grew up on my Mom's "pillow" dumplings, delish!
    Then I went TDY to N Carolina and had the thick, noodle dumplings, delish!

Variety.  Life Is Good!  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    Botch said:

I grew up on my Mom's "pillow" dumplings, delish!

Then I went TDY to N Carolina and had the thick, noodle dumplings, delish!

Variety.  Life Is Good!  
    I'm with you. Just give me C&D

• shtgunal3
    Options
    @caliking @Central_Bama_Egger‌ here is a link to the recipe she used for the dumplings. She said the only thing she did different was she added salt and black pepper at the end. And again the chicken she used was a whole chicken off the egg.