Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just finished a rib cook to test wrapping vs not... surprised with the result

Options
Just thought I would try a test cook and see what wrapping ribs during a cook is all about. I never wrap and usually cook St. Louis cut spare ribs at 250 for 6 hours with a mixture of black cherry and hickory for smoke.

So today, I took two slabs and let them smoke for 3 hours, I then wrapped one of the slabs and added some apple juice to the wrapped slab and let it braise for 2 hours. The last hour of the cook, both slabs were unwrapped and basted with BBQ sauce with 30 minutes to go.

Took them off and tried one of each. The unwrapped slab was moist and tender with a good competition bite where it tugs slightly but doesn't fall off the bone. I then tried the wrapped slab and was very surprised to find them less moist and slightly tougher. 

I suppose the braising or steaming removed some of the moisture. I know the 3-2-1 technique is popular but for me, I prefer just smoking them for 6 hours. Would love to hear comments from others regarding these results.

Rocky Top, TN — Large BGE • Cast Iron Grate & Platesetter • Rockwood Lump

Comments

• SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Options
    Agree with you, Bubba, no foil for me!
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    No matter how I cook ribs, I do not wrap. Low and slow or hot and fast, I leave them naked and bare.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    I quit foiling as well. It was actually a mistake for me as I got busy that day a just said eff it. Glad I did. Haven't looked back!
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    Options
    I have never not wrapped. Going to try it now
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I wrapped in foil for a fall-off-the-bone guest and no-foil for everyone else. I think if you add butter, honey, hey--why not mayo--and not just the apple juice alone, you will find them juicy and with a delicious gravy in the foil.
    Judy in San Diego
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Wrapping mostly speeds up the cook.  If you under or over cook something, that's unrelated and your doing.  Wrapping also retards bark formation.
    Options
    Wrapping mostly speeds up the cook.  If you under or over cook something, that's unrelated and your doing.  Wrapping also retards bark formation.

I agree and would like to add one note to that verse. If you slightly over cook when using a wrap, it doesn't affect the end product quite as much as it does the unwrapped. This is only true to a degree though. It certainly has its limits.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    No wrap club here. Turbo club here.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• EggHead_Bubba
    Options
    The one slab I wrapped, I put honey and a generous amount of squeeze butter on it along with the apple juice. I was really surprised it was less moist and slightly tougher than the un-wrapped slab.

Rocky Top, TN — Large BGE • Cast Iron Grate & Platesetter • Rockwood Lump

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    The one slab I wrapped, I put honey and a generous amount of squeeze butter on it along with the apple juice. I was really surprised it was less moist and slightly tougher than the un-wrapped slab.
    Really just think your single foiled rack was over cooked. In my past cooking, 3-2-1 was to long for all but very thick racks of ribs. At most, I normally only foil for 1 hour then cook for "the bend test", then add a little sauce for the last 5-10 minutes. Like you, I prefer not to foil at all but still don't cook to a specific time. Just cook till they and tender. 
    Good test.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas