Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Up or down?

Options
Ahhhh... the age old question:  Did the house burn up?  ...or did the house burn down?

When you light the charcoal in your egg do you light it near the top?   ...or near the bottom?   and why?
San Diego, CA - Where I've mastered Curmudgeon..working on Recluse.

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Like this: image
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• theyolksonyou
    Options
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    A contrarian here but I light close to the bottom and forward of dead-center for low&slow.  Will light close to the bottom in 3-4 total spots if seeking hot&fast.  In an oxygen unlimited environment (not the BGE but...) my experience is that fire will burn "up" before going down for more fuel.  Witness house fires-the higher floors are always toast before the lower ones.  But just an observation and opinion and we all know w hat those are worth...
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    MAPP torch usually 1-3 spots (1 if a L&S) on top and stabilize.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options

I thought this thread was about toilet seats.

Flint, Michigan
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    On the top, closer to the front. Fire will follow air down through the lump pile, finding smoke wood on the way if you have distributed throughout the lump. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    To answer your question, I torch from above except once when my dome was stuck. 
    Flint, Michigan
  • UncleFred
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    A contrarian here but I light close to the bottom and forward of dead-center for low&slow.  Will light close to the bottom in 3-4 total spots if seeking hot&fast.
    I've always been with you... I figured when I use to light briquets in a chimney it was built to light at the bottom so the heat would rise through and ignite the stuff above.  ...and like you, if I'm going slow/low I light in one spot and if I need hot/fast I use a couple fire starter blocks cut in half and spread around.
    I was actually surprised the first time I read a post that mentioned starting near the top... seems counter-intuitive to me.

Which is why I posed the question.
  • Sammi
    Sammi Posts: 598
    Options
    UncleFred said:
    Ahhhh... the age old question:  Did the house burn up?  ...or did the house burn down?

When you light the charcoal in your egg do you light it near the top?   ...or near the bottom?   and why?
    Houses burn down, fires burn up. IMO.
    Sudbury, Ontario
  • UncleFred
    Options
    On the top, closer to the front. Fire will follow air down through the lump pile, finding smoke wood on the way if you have distributed throughout the lump. 
    OK but..
    Heat rises...

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    The fires gonna go where the fuel is. Lump+oxygen+heat. Doesn't really matter where you light it, it's gonna follow path of least resistance and fuel. IMO
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I don't torch. I use an electronic element stuck in the and let go for 10 to get lump going. It's seems to always be windy where I cook so try to light a torch or starter sticks is hard.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • UncleFred
    Options
    Sammi said:
    Houses burn down, fires burn up. IMO.
    So then, do you light your charcoal near the bottom?
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    UncleFred said:

OK but..

Heat rises...

@UncleFred - Does it matter how the lump gets lit? The important thing is that it does ignite and burns. From up top or from below is a personal choice. Thank you, I'm well aware heat rises.
    Flint, Michigan
  • UncleFred
    Options
    @UncleFred - Does it matter how the lump gets lit? The important thing is that it does ignite and burns. From up top or from below is a personal choice. Thank you, I'm well aware heat rises.
    Well actually, it is of interest (at least to me)...  Obviously it works no matter where you light it or there wouldn't be any discussion at all.
    I'm just wondering if, because "heat rises" is lighting near the bottom (a) quicker?   (b) more efficient?
    ...it seems to me that it would take longer for charcoal to burn top down rather that bottom up.  But I have no data to support my surmise.  Perhaps top down could allow your charcoal to last longer on a low and slow... I don't know.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    UncleFred said:
    Well actually, it is of interest (at least to me)...  Obviously it works no matter where you light it or there wouldn't be any discussion at all.
    I'm just wondering if, because "heat rises" is lighting near the bottom (a) quicker?   (b) more efficient?
    ...it seems to me that it would take longer for charcoal to burn top down rather that bottom up.  But I have no data to support my surmise.  Perhaps top down could allow your charcoal to last longer on a low and slow... I don't know.
    Perhaps Unc, you might be over thinking this a bit.  Egging is an enjoyable relaxing pursuit.  Do what you like.  If it makes you happy to light from the bottom, then rock on!  If you like torching from up top, then fire it up!  If we analyzed the whole thing for maximum efficiency and cost savings as far as lump burning as well as egging in general, then an argument could be made concluding the egg itself does not pass the cost/benefit analysis test.  After all, mediocre food is usually cheaper than good food.  Enjoy yourself Unc.  That's important.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    I light mine near the middle.  I use an electric lighter.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• UncleFred
    Options
    Perhaps Unc, you might be over thinking this a bit. 
    A habit (flaw?) of mine... When I'm not grilling I'm THINKING about grilling...
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options

I partially fill my egg with lump and then use a chimney starter with additional lump. The chimney starter burns bottom to top. Once I poor it into the egg; it's top to bottom.

I'm in favor of bottom to top. Everyone knows of the terrible smoke that is given off until the lump is burning good. If you light it at the top and the bottom never get burning, that nasty smoke will eventually happen on a low and slow.

Even on a low and slow I bring my egg up to 500* until the smoke is clear and the lump, top to bottom is red. This works fine on my small but I don't want to imply that this is the same on the larger eggs.

• rtt121
    rtt121 Posts: 653
    Options
    I always make a big fire in the fire pit and then just add the hot oak coals directly to the egg. No lighting necessary.. so much easier.  
    Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I use kerosene to get my lump going ;)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    SGH said:
    I've used Diesel many times in offsets

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • FarmerTom
    Options
    Mikee  I am neither a chemist nor physicist, but might that white smoke at startup be excess moisture in the lump?  In which case, as the firebox warms at startup, it might be expected to expel the moisture whether you light at the top or the bottom.  Don't know this is the case, but seems plausible to me.   Sort of like burning seasoned wood or green wood.  Lots of smoke from the green until it dries out.  Anyhow, I light at the top now with a mapp gas torch. More places for a hotter fire.  Just a lot easier in my opinion and works well for me.

Tommy 

Middle of Nowhere, Northern Kentucky
       1 M, 1 XL, a BlackStone,1 old Webber, a Border Collie, a German Shepherd and 3 of her pups, and 2 Yorkies

• Mikee
    Options
    Not saying you are doing it wrong but this statement is actually not accurate. VOC's in lump do not behave this way and once you are burning clear, you are fine- no matter where you light it and no matter what size your egg is. 
    The lump needs to burn hot to get rid of the VOC's. If the bottom never get hot and burning, its not much different than adding additional lump to an already going fire. The only difference is that when you add fresh lump you'll see the nasty white smoke immediately over a short period of time . The un-lit lump on the bottom will give of the VOC's very gradually. While you may not see it, it's there.

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    SGH said:
    I've used Diesel many times in offsets

I'm going to try that myself ;) All kidding aside, I have brought the big units on line with kerosene as a starting aid. Never one of the kamados though.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Mikee said:
    Not saying you are doing it wrong but this statement is actually not accurate. VOC's in lump do not behave this way and once you are burning clear, you are fine- no matter where you light it and no matter what size your egg is. 
    The lump needs to burn hot to get rid of the VOC's. If the bottom never get hot and burning, its not much different than adding additional lump to an already going fire. The only difference is that when you add fresh lump you'll see the nasty white smoke immediately over a short period of time . The un-lit lump on the bottom will give of the VOC's very gradually. While you may not see it, it's there.

Do you mind sharing where you got this information? I understand it differently but I'm always open to new information.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • UncleFred
    Options
    I'm finding this back and forth interesting and informative...
    It's always interesting to hear how and why people do things differently. 
    I remember when I wore a  younger man's clothes, I was set in my ways. I figured that the way I learned to do something had to be the best way. ...then one of her friends gave my wife a copy of the Kama Sutra.
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    I use a mapp gas torch so I put the nozzle into about the middle of the pile just to keep down on the sparking. Works for me.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • Mikee
    Options

Do you mind sharing where you got this information? I understand it differently but I'm always open to new information.

I think we both agree that there are VOC's in lump. Once the lump charcoal is heated up it burns off. The best way is it to get all the lump hot to the point it burning; the more the better. Get rid of the VOC's before backing down the temps. For me this is just common sense 101. Burn off only 50% of the VOC's on the initial heatup still leaves 50% to be emitted later. Burn50% in 15 minutes and it's visible and smellable. The other  50% burnt over 10 hours is not as noticeable over 600 minutes.

Bottom line is to get all the lump to burn most the VOC's before cooking.