Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

cherry wood smoke

Options
2»

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
    edited November 2014
    Options
    SGH did an oak cherry blend at Brisket camp that I thought was outstanding. The oak gave it the "vanilla" flavor and you can really taste the sweetness from the cherry. All those flavors paired with the salty brisket were really good. Huge Fan. If you are looking to try some thing new, I recommend giving this a shot.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Brother Tex, wish you was closer. I could really hook you up with some cherry right now. Got 12,000 pounds being split as we speak.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    SGH said:
    Brother Tex, wish you was closer. I could really hook you up with some cherry right now. Got 12,000 pounds being split as we speak.
    Wow! That is a lot. Don't use it as much as Oak, but I've really grown to love it on many things.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • SGH
    Options
    That is green weight my friend. Will be considerably less once it dries.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    I'd agree the biggest benefit of cherry mixed with oak for brisket was the sweetness and some additional color. I also like using cherry with pecan on chicken.
    Thanks for the offer @SGH‌ that's literally a boat load of cherry wood. I still have roughly a cord of cherry from trees we've trimmed &/or removed. Pcola is roughly 5-5.5 hrs away.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • FarmerTom
    FarmerTom Posts: 685
    edited November 2014
    Options

SGH  .  How long do you let your cherry wood cure before using it?  I have 4 or 5 unssplit stove length pieces I am saving for smoking.  Next time I mess with my firewood, I am going to cut them into 2" slabs and then split them into small chunks.  Just wondering how long before I can use them. The tree was still alive when I cut it off a fence about a month ago.  Oh, it is wild black cherry.

Tommy 

Middle of Nowhere, Northern Kentucky
       1 M, 1 XL, a BlackStone,1 old Webber, a Border Collie, a German Shepherd and 3 of her pups, and 2 Yorkies

• SGH
    Options
    FarmerTom said:

SGH  .  How long do you let your cherry wood cure before using it?  I have 4 or 5 unssplit stove length pieces I am saving for smoking.  Next time I mess with my firewood, I am going to cut them into 2" slabs and then split them into small chunks.  Just wondering how long before I can use them. The tree was still alive when I cut it off a fence about a month ago.  Oh, it is wild black cherry.

It depends on how well it's protected from the elements and also how hot the weather is. In the summer time and properly stored 4 months is perfect. In the winter if its properly stored 5-6 months. Now remember it's hot in the shade down here almost year round. Also my wood is stored under water tight conditions. Hope that this helps my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• FarmerTom
    Options
    SGH      Whenever I finally get it split, soon I hope, I intend to put the chunks in feed sacks and hang them in a machinery shed.  While not as warm as you, I believe the freezing and thawing also helps remove moisture.  So 6 months may be good here.  Are you using wild cherry or the fruit type cherry wood?                  

Tommy 

1 M, 1 XL, a BlackStone,1 old Webber, a Border Collie, a German Shepherd and 3 of her pups, and 2 Yorkies

• SGH
    Options
    FarmerTom said:
    SGH      Whenever I finally get it split, soon I hope, I intend to put the chunks in feed sacks and hang them in a machinery shed.  While not as warm as you, I believe the freezing and thawing also helps remove moisture.  So 6 months may be good here.  Are you using wild cherry or the fruit type cherry wood?                  

I use both species. They are equally good in my opinion. To be perfectly honest I can not tell the two apart taste wise.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    @FarmerTom‌- Just a tip. To tell when wood is properly seasoned, here are a few things to look for. First and foremost the wood will feel light for its size. The ends will have cracked or split a little. The bark will start to let go or turn a loose. But the best way of all is to hit two pieces together. The sound should be almost a ringing sound instead of the usual deep thud. Hope this helps my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    Another example of why this forum rocks. Learn something everyday.
  • FarmerTom
    Options
    SGH  So far I have only used purchased wood for smoking.  But got to thinking, here on the farm we have all the red oak, white oak, hickory, wild cherry, and sugar maple I could ask for.  Might as well cut my own. 

Tommy 

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Does wood, if properly stored, ever get too old?

I've got a couple of wild cherry trees that will last for a long time, volume wise, if harvested now.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• SGH
    Options

I've got a couple of wild cherry trees that will last for a long time, volume wise, if harvested now.

Absolutley it will. By storing it properly you can certainly extend its usable life greatly, but ultimately it will start to rot in time.

Status- Standing by.

• FarmerTom
    FarmerTom Posts: 685
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Jeepster47            I think the "Properly Stored" is the key.  Think about a house.  It has to be inside, dry, and protected from insects.  If so, it should last a long, long time.

Tommy 

• SGH
    Options

For the record, after Katrina I stored some oaks we lost for close 6 years before using it all. Please note that this wood was stored in water tight conditions and elevated off the ground on oak timbers for good air circulation. Also the barn foundation is sprayed yearly for termites.

Status- Standing by.

• Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    Options
    SGH said:
    @FarmerTom‌- Just a tip. To tell when wood is properly seasoned, here are a few things to look for. First and foremost the wood will feel light for its size. The ends will have cracked or split a little. The bark will start to let go or turn a loose. But the best way of all is to hit two pieces together. The sound should be almost a ringing sound instead of the usual deep thud. Hope this helps my friend.
    Musicians use a tuning fork to check the "ping".
    Eggheads bang two hunks of wood together to check for the "ping".
    =)) =)) =))
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • rifrench
    rifrench Posts: 469
    Options
    SGH said:
    FarmerTom said:

I use both species. They are equally good in my opinion. To be perfectly honest I can not tell the two apart taste wise.
    That is good to know! I have plenty of wild cherry trees, along with red and white oak, and hickory. Does a tree have to be very large to be of use? I'm looking at 6 to 8 inches in diameter...

1 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 1 KBQ and a 26" Blackstone near Blackstone, Virginia
  • SGH
    Options
    @rifrench‌
    No sir. You can use it no matter it's size. Just cut it to fit your needs. It's age at time of cutting is irrelevant.

Status- Standing by.

• rifrench
    rifrench Posts: 469
    Options
    Thanks, SGH!
     1 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 1 KBQ and a 26" Blackstone near Blackstone, Virginia
  • SGH
    Options
    @rifrench‌
    No problem my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I use Cherry and Pecan in almost every cook except Brisket where I use Oak.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Options
    I find cherry to be a pretty strong wood, so usually go pretty light when I use it.  Pecan + cherry or apple + cherry are nice combinations.
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    Came out great, nice bark, ring and flavor....through a Turkey on the Weber while a brisket was finishingimageimage
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • FarmerTom
    Options

Hey smokers,  how much difference is there in the smoke flavor between species of  oak or hickory trees?  We have several different white oaks, red oaks, and hickories?  I know our oaks here in Ky. are different from what the southern folks have..  Is one oak about the same as another, or do some have a stronger aroma?  As a wood burner, I know our red oaks seem to retain moisture a lot more than with oaks.

Tommy 

• EggHead_Bubba
    Options
    I would highly recommend cherry. I have a stockpile of black cherry that I use mixed with hickory for most every rib or butt I smoke. Love the flavor it produces!

Rocky Top, TN — Large BGE • Cast Iron Grate & Platesetter • Rockwood Lump

• SGH
    Options
    FarmerTom said:

Hey smokers,  how much difference is there in the smoke flavor between species of  oak or hickory trees?  We have several different white oaks, red oaks, and hickories?  I know our oaks here in Ky. are different from what the southern folks have..  Is one oak about the same as another, or do some have a stronger aroma?  As a wood burner, I know our red oaks seem to retain moisture a lot more than with oaks.

All the white oaks (post, water etc, etc....) are very similar in smoke profile. However the red oaks have a more pronounced flavor than the white oaks. Still good, just different. Hickory is totally different than both the oaks in flavor. Hickory has more "bite" to it.

Status- Standing by.