Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Covers

Options
For you guys that have big tables that can not be covered , how do you cover your egg itself. I know some people just leave them un covered. I tried that for a while but had too much rust built up inside on the grill grates.  I was going to get a table that was pretty large but the egg fit pretty snug in it not allowing room for a cover on the egg itself.
 Any tips would be helpful

Thanks

Comments

• tcracing
    tcracing Posts: 378
    Options
    I think they make a dome only cover.
    George Foreman? Who? 
    Tim C. Panama City, Fl. 
    Large, Minimax-soon
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Cowley canyon covers. Check them out on ebay
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Since my table is protected from the hot sun and UVL in the summer from all my shade I use a BGE table cover. During the winter I switch out to a cheap tarp and bungee cords. Any home improvement store or Harbor Freight have them. Spend a couple bucks more and get a HD one.  
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Options
    There are small covers for the dome as mentioned. ATV covers may be a inexpensive option for entire table.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    BGE makes just dome covers or a whole table cover the standard egg table. I have one now to cover my XL in a nest with the side tables down.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • News2u
    News2u Posts: 335
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Here is what I did about my cover. Bought the nice BGE cover for the XL, knowing it would not be long enough cuz I, frankly, did not take my table's 4.5" casters into account in the overall height. Overcoming the issue was easy. Took the cover to a seamstress I know, who added a skirt at the bottom using material from a cheap $19 grill cover I got at Lowe's. And, as I've mentioned before, I'm a strong believer in umbrella protection. Between the 2, you can't go wrong.imageimage
    Beef...It's what's for dinner tonight.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

Where do you live? Here in Houston i.e. high humidity, cover= mold. I tried covering my eggs up for a while and then gave up because of the mold problem.

I'm curious though as to why/how you found rust on the grid. Isn't it stainless steel, and therefore shouldn't rust? I have not had a problem with rust on my grids. Even my CI grid has been rust-free since it is well-seasoned.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @News2u‌ did you sew in the cover extension? Mine is exactly the same (short of covering the bottom tier).
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • News2u
    Options
    caliking: Humidity is horrible here, too. But my cooker is used so often, just like a rolling stone gathers no moss, my egg and table gather no mold. Now, you are right, the egg and table need to breathe from time to time -- in other words, air out. So depending on weather conditions, I will take the cover off. On top of that, I'm real anal about keeping everything, egg and table, clean. Hey, just like my indoor kitchen, people eat off this equipment...and, as far as I'm concerned, you cannot over-sanitize.
  • News2u
    Options
    NPHuskerFL: The seamstress I used added the skirt so professionally, it looks as if the cover came out of the box that way.  She does incredible work, and since you live right around the corner from me, if you want, I'll share her number with you. She'd love the business. For 40 bucks, I don't think you can beat the results of her alteration. However, remember, you have to supply the extra material.
  • News2u
    Options
    This is more a test than anything else. Still trying to master link attachment. This shows before and after alteration.[IMG]http://i1374.photobucket.com/albums/ag427/news2u/BGE Cover/IMG_1346_zpsfee4f470.jpg[/IMG][/URL]