Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE Christmas Gift Ideas?

Options
Okay, whattya got?

What are some Egg accessories you can't do without or value more than others?

Right now I just have the basics (plate setter, pizza stone, maverick).  I have a large BGE.

Thanks!
LBGE/Maryland

Comments

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    If I was you:
    Thermapen
    AR
    Controller of some sort

I asked my wife for a cast iron grate and woo for the minimax
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    I'm a big fan of the AR.  I think I would like to add an oval stone to the mix (currently have a round with spider).

NOLA
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Options
    I put together a list of some of my favorite aftermarket gadgets and accessories if you are interested. 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    Thermapen is a must
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Thermapen / Adjustable Rig / High-Que / Custom Handle / welding gloves
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    +1 on the thermapen especially for hot&fast cooks-and for a reach-a SBGE to compliment the LBGE.  Good luck with your quest.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options

Basics: Digital thermometer, rib rack, pizza stone.

Great additions:  Remote thermometer, AR, and Woo

XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • keepervodeflame
    Options
    An AR with a Spider, the 13x17 brisket rib grate and stone, and a sliding D grate. You will probably retire your place setter. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    WOO3 for MMBGE.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Oh my bad for your LBGE...
    CI grid, CI pan collection, Stoker or other quality pit controller, AR or other means of going raised direct & indirect, Smokeware, Rutland. Lots of things you can ask Santy Claus for ;)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    An AR with a Spider, the 13x17 brisket rib grate and stone, and a sliding D grate. You will probably retire your place setter. 
    +1. You will definitely retire your platesetter.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Anything from dizzy bbq http://dizzypigbbq.com/ Maybe a treadmill Nice knife
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Flint, Michigan
  • bo31210
    bo31210 Posts: 715
    Options
    As others have said. AR all the way followed by a thermapen.
    In the middle of Georgia!    Geaux Tigers!!!!!
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options

A silicone oven mitt or even a pair of them. I can grab a hot plate setter and it does not even feel warm.

An instant read Thermapen is also nice to have; quick read and accurate. The end is thin and very sharp; does not poke a big hole allowing juices to flow out of the meat.

One thing on my short list would be a cast iron grate.

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Great tips thus far, thanks!

I tell you, I don't feel like I have really needed the AR, but since **everyone** keeps raving about it, I put it on the list.   I have wanted a raised grid (which is much cheaper) but this seems much more flexible.

Still adding things to the list....
    LBGE/Maryland
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Top of my list this season is a food saver. Probably order one from Amazon.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• KiterTodd
    Options
    Has anyone found a nice rolling storage cabinet to keep all these accessories in?!? 
    Preferably something with some workspace on top.  BUT, nothing too big as it has to roll on a deck and not look like clutter.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • dihtn
    dihtn Posts: 234
    Options
    Mikee said:

A silicone oven mitt or even a pair of them. I can grab a hot plate setter and it does not even feel warm.

An instant read Thermapen is also nice to have; quick read and accurate. The end is thin and very sharp; does not poke a big hole allowing juices to flow out of the meat.

Which silicone oven mitts would you recommend?

One thing on my short list would be a cast iron grate.

• Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options
    I got a silicone oven mitt from my daughter who is in sales. She gave them away as a promotional gift to people who showed up. The mitt is about 10-12" in length with only the lower 1/2 being covered in silicon. An internet searched will show what retailers are selling . The high cuff will protect you forearms.
  • dihtn
    dihtn Posts: 234
    Options
  • Walt2015
    Walt2015 Posts: 583
    Options
    What are the benefits of using the AR with a stone for indirect over using the platesetter?
    Memphis, TN ----> Chattanooga, TN
  • KiterTodd
    Options
    Walt2015 said:
    What are the benefits of using the AR with a stone for indirect over using the platesetter?
    Walt - now, I don't have one,but I think what it buys you is the two tiered cooking, and with a larger second grate then if you put a small round one up top.   Currently you can't do two large grates indirect because the plate setter is down low.  With the AR they make a thin oval stone that sits under the lower grate.

But, if you are just using one grate for cooking indirect, then I don't see any advantage over using the platesetter and standard grate.  It's certainly simpler.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • vchelf
    vchelf Posts: 95
    Options
    I just go the Kick Ash Basket. I think my next investment is the Adjustable Rig. I need to figure out what I want to buy - the rig seems very complicated with all the options.
    Victor Chelf
    Houston, TX

Just one Large BGE
    Visit my Victor's Vittles blog - dedicated to my Big Green Eggventures

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    YEMTrey said:

Top of my list this season is a food saver. Probably order one from Amazon.

I got the V3240 from Amazon for around $86 a few months back. It's $111 right now. I like it.

XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Options
    Costco has the 48xx series on sale with instant rebate as well. I am talking about the food saver.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    vchelf said:
    I just go the Kick Ash Basket. I think my next investment is the Adjustable Rig. I need to figure out what I want to buy - the rig seems very complicated with all the options.
    The AR can seem complicated by looking at all the photos. Wait till you open the box and have all the pieces laid out on your kitchen table. lol…the shock will really set in.

But after you play around with AR for a hour you will fully understand all the things it will help you with with. You will learn what works best for you and you will set up your cooks without even thinking about it…

Money well spent. I have one for my Large and XL BGE.

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas