Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First mad max turkey try!

Options
blakeas
blakeas Posts: 244
Sunday after thanksgiving cook! I hope it turns out good.

Comments

• blakeas
    Options
  • SoCalWJS
    SoCalWJS Posts: 407
    Options
    Looking good! Still my favorite way to cook the Thanksgiving bird.
    South SLO County
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    That looks great - I wish I had chilled the breast before loading mine, I'm bass ackwards on the temps right now, after 4 hours on an 18 lb-er.

Thigh at 160, breast at 175.

Tented the breast, dropped the temp to 225, hoping for the breast. (intentional)

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    Good looking bird....nice effort. 

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Little Steven
    Options
    DieselkW said:
    That looks great - I wish I had chilled the breast before loading mine, I'm bass ackwards on the temps right now, after 4 hours on an 18 lb-er.

Thigh at 160, breast at 175.

Tented the breast, dropped the temp to 225, hoping for the breast. (intentional)

Too late now but orient the bird so legs are toward the back. It's hotter there

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Sammi
    Sammi Posts: 598
    Options
    blakeas said:
    Sunday after thanksgiving cook! I hope it turns out good.
    It's all about the baste, the baste, the baste.    

=))
    Sudbury, Ontario
  • blakeas
    Options

I started at 9:30 and hit the required temp for the breast at around 2.  too early so I took the bird off and let it sit to when we were having company over.  Looks like I made a mistake to let it sit because it was a little dry when we went to eat it at 4PM.  Flavor was great but the turkey was not moist.  I had done a test bird about 3 weeks ago where I injected butter and that turned out great.  This bird didn't have the flavor as an injected bird.  So it looks like I will start going with the injection.

Secondly - I messed up the gravy.  I guess I have a hot cooktop because I burned the rue when I mixed up the flour.  All that work and it went right down the drain!  I was so pissed.  My granite ware roasting pan is thin so maybe using high heat was not the best thing to do when making the rue.  You live and learn!