Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question regarding cooking time.

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey everyone. First off, I want to say what a great resource this board is. I have learned so much about the Egg from the posters on here, and have made some great meals as a result. Thanks to everyone for their contributions!

My question regards cooking time for a Boston Butt. I know the rule of thumb is 1.5 - 2 hrs. per pound, but how would this work if I wanted to cook two butts at once? For example, let's say instead of doing an 8 pound butt, I put on two 4 pounders. Is the 1.5 - 2 hour rule in place for EACH butt, or for the total weight? Or would it be somewhere in between? In the scenario above, would I expect to be done in approx. 8 hours, or 16? Does anyone have any experience with this?

Comments

• pipedream
    Options
    i always use the exact smae rule of thumb on the time even if I am cooking more than one butt, I just make sure there is room between them for the heat and smoke to work around. If you have the two touching each other, it is essentially one butt, cause the heat and smoke cannot get between them, so then you have to cook longer. Hope this helps. I almost always cook two if I am cooking one. I mean, you know, the fire is already built, and It freezes so well, why not cook two, plus I seem to have lots of friends when there is smoke rising from my backyard.