Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

which wok?

Options
Looking for a wok but don't want to spend the motherload. I know nothing about wok cooking but want to try it. Cast iron?
Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Wish that I could help but I have never used a wok myself.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    I can't help much, but I did follow this thread and there is some good info here. Some wok choices and sources.
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    I was kind of thinkin the same thing. I was at a Williams Sonoma yesterday and they had a hammered steel one that felt real nice. 29$. Should have picked it up but it's not exactly wok weather in the northeast. http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/hammered-14-inch-wok/#reviews
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• tjosborne
    Options
    I think you want carbon steel. Cast iron doesn't work the best because it I think I heard it doesn't transfer heat quickly.
    middle of nowhere- G.I. NE
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    edited November 2014
    Options

This should work.

http://wokshop.stores.yahoo.net/hawokw.html

While you are at it these come in handy for other types of cooking and are fairly cheap.

http://wokshop.stores.yahoo.net/hegasthacoch.html 

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Carbon Steel round bottom If you are goin to use on the egg you will need a spider or a wok ring. I got my wok from CGS but @Mickey talks highly of the Wok Shop. I think for a fee the wok shop will season it for you.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    @Mattman3969‌ got it right. CGS. I'd buy off them before Williams and sanoma. I had no idea they sold wok stuff
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    I have that Williams Sonoma wok. It's really nice. I had a coupon and got it for $20 me thinks.
    Dunedin, FL
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

Carbon steel seems the way to go. Wok Shop is a favorite here but I got a decent one with  handle from World Market. I use a wok ring - cheap and readily available at the Asian markets here.

There was a thread by @Richard_FL ages ago which lists the things you want for wok cooks. Or  @Mickey since he has the in with Ms. Chan.  

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I have a 14" carbon steel and a 13" CI wok. My son got me the ci from Chinatown in Brooklyn. $10. It is not the CI you are used to. Paper thin and weighs no more than the steel wok. They both work great.

Wokshop sells the ci in various sizes starting at 13" $10. Can't tell for sure but it looks like mine.

I posted it in here... http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1152940/calling-all-wok-gurus

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Call Ms Chin @ (415) 989-3797 Wok Shop. She is a super lady and tell her hello for me. She will be open Sunday. She will answer all questions.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Got mine from CGS (with a spider.)
  • Beavercreek_Smoker
    Options
    Hand hammered steel is the way to go. Dimples from the hammer helps hold food up on the sides when you need to slow the cook

• Little Steven
    Options
    henapple said:
    Looking for a wok but don't want to spend the motherload. I know nothing about wok cooking but want to try it. Cast iron?
    Hammered steel you dumbass hillbilly. A good one will cost you twenty bucks

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    I've used both steel and CI woks for years.  I didn't care for the hand-hammered as its more difficult to clean (never thought about it gripping food further up the sides, but since I toss the food with the pan rather than spatulas, that's not an issue for me).  CI's big weakness is not heat transfer (cooking on the Egg, you have a uniform blast of heat over the whole surface) but rather, fragility; it'll break if you drop it or bang it wrong.  So I just say, like the Egg itself, don't fricking drop it!   :D

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    The Wok Shop has a great selection of carbon steel and cast iron woks. I have 5 carbon steel woks (20", 16", 14", 12", 10") and 1 cast iron (14"). You'll find a ton of recipes sized for a 14" wok. The cast iron woks they carry are very thin which is traditional for Chinese cast iron woks and they heat up really quickly (unlike a thick Lodge wok). If you think you need a wok that can stand up to some abuse I'd say go with carbon steel.

Which cooker are you looking to wok on?
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • ChicagoEgghead20
    ChicagoEgghead20 Posts: 218
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Do you have an IKEA near you? Most of their kitchen products are absolutely terrible, but I have one of their cheap $5, yes $5 Wok's and I have used it for 3 years now on and off the grill and it has held up like a champ.  For $5 if you find you don't use it much, it's no big deal.  I use mine about 2-3 times a week and I find it heats evenly and gets hot very quick.

• Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    edited November 2014
    Options
    +1 for Ms Chin and the Wok Shop.  Go to SF and get her to show you everything you ever wanted to know about woks.  Then go over to the Buena Vista and have a few toddy's and then around the corner to the Kilt shop for something to wear in Salado.......
    Oh wait, you said you didn't want to spend a mother lode...:D  Just call Ms Chin
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    The helpful lady at The Wok Shop is Ms. Chan. I don't think there is a Ms. Chin there.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Brisket_Fanatic Posts: 2,884
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Bought a carbon steel from Tom at CGS and love it.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Options

Instant gratification. Go to Bed Bath & Beyond. They have the carbon steel woks and not pricey at all. Plus, ask your wife, she may have a 20% off coupon for B3. 

I suggest you buy the regular and not the non stick coated, as it will peel off in high heat wokking.

I got the one without handles, but later bought one with as well as I like to toss it a little.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    edited November 2014
    Options
    R2Egg2Q said:
    The helpful lady at The Wok Shop is Ms. Chan. I don't think there is a Ms. Chin there.
    Yep your are correct...Let the memories of the Buena Vista good to my typing fingers.  (most of the time  the toddys at the Buena Vista went to my head and equilibrium. :D)
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    Carbon steel for the first go round, then onto a hammered if the cooking takes you to other than super hot all the time recipes. 
    Basically two styles, flat bottom and round bottom, D handle or long handle. I like the long handle round bottom. With either style you can use any implements you want, but the classic round mouthed spatula in SS is nice. Cleanup with a stiff brush and warm water. 

The round bottom with the long handle is $16 and the flat bottom D handle is $9. Buy cheap - bring them home, scour the motor oil off them used to prevent rust and then season. After that, just like CI no soap. pics suck - but may help. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • greenenvy
    Options

Anyone know if a 16-inch wok with a handle will work in a spider set in a LBGE? I'm thinking of getting this one from the wok shop, based on the comments I've read here, but am concerned that the handle will stick out to the side and keep the wok from sitting level in the spider.

I'd prefer the long handled variety (vs. two smaller grips on the sides) for ease of moving the wok while it's still hot. Also, will the wood handle hold up to the heat?

your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.” Anthony Bourdain, Kitchen Confidential

LBGE in SATX

• Sistm
    Sistm Posts: 53
    Options
    I also got mine from the CGS. I seasoned it up and it cooks like a champ. I also got the spider along with it and I love the combo.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    greenenvy said:

Anyone know if a 16-inch wok with a handle will work in a spider set in a LBGE? I'm thinking of getting this one from the wok shop, based on the comments I've read here, but am concerned that the handle will stick out to the side and keep the wok from sitting level in the spider.

I'd prefer the long handled variety (vs. two smaller grips on the sides) for ease of moving the wok while it's still hot. Also, will the wood handle hold up to the heat?

The spider holds a 16" wok just fine but mine has the D handles. If your handle comes off straight it might be an issue

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.