Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Electronics Roll Call

Options
On Thanksgiving, I had two Eggs going with 2 turkey halves, a BBQ & a buffalo, and a whole bone in ham. Electronics are not 100% necessary, but they sure make a big cook, on a super busy day, a lot easier. 

I used a Flame Boss 100, a Thermoworks Chef Alarm and a Maverick ET732 to get the job done. 

What electronics are in your stable??

Comments

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    I have an auber 110 and mav 732, not necessary, but they do simplify it a ton. Plus sleep is a premium in my house and anything that helps me sleep easier is a win.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Cyberq. Haven't used it in 6 plus months.
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    I'll go in order of purchases.

I have a ten dollar ready-check
    A maverick 732
    And I just finished my heatermeter DIY project.

The heatermeter sure was fun to build... and I still get lots of use from my ready-check.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited November 2014
    Options
    A friend gave me a Digi Q this year.  Although I have gotten by for 15 years without one, they have their place.  Have used it on the egg, but prefer it on the higher capacity and slightly harder to control WSM.  ET-73 just bit the dust after many years of service.  Have no desire to replace it at this point.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    Options
    Lit said:
    Cyberq. Haven't used it in 6 plus months.
    This is why I only have a Maverick 733. I want a temp controller but I think the novelty will wear.
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Maverick 733 and a thermapen (purple - medium fast).

I don't really feel the need for anything else, although I'm eyeing a thermoworks thermodot (I think grate temp is kind of useless), and I would like a backlit thermopen.
    NOLA
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    I just bought a Taylor instant read thermometer with red LED lights for $17 at Walmart. Takes 3 seconds to get a reading. I have an Oregon Scientific remote thermometer with great range, just don't dunk the probe/wire interface in water as it kills it.
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    Options
    Stoker and thermapen (grey - medium with .1 display resolution)
    I use my stoker for 98% of my cooks. Set it and forget it.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Digi Q2.  I like it because it has a place for low & slows.  When I'm not there, it controls the egg and monitors the meat temp.  I don't use it much so to me its not worth buying.
    Flint, Michigan
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Stoker and may look at an iGrill2 or iGrill Mini.
    The iGrill products were suggestions of my Wife (not familiar with them or their quality).
    I was thinking of just expanding to a couple more food probes, one more put probe and one more blower for the MM.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Options
    I really like the iGrill2. I like the fact that it charts your cook in an excel spreadsheet so you can review your cook and see when you hit a stall and how long it was in it, etc. The down side is the bluetooth range. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited November 2014
    Options

I really like the iGrill2. I like the fact that it charts your cook in an excel spreadsheet so you can review your cook and see when you hit a stall and how long it was in it, etc. The down side is the bluetooth range. 

What's the range on it? And when you lose connectivity does it reconnect without a hitch?

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    Mav and thermopen. That's it.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Oh yes and of course have a trusty Thermapen. ;)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Gman2
    Gman2 Posts: 421
    Options
    Thermapen and Weber Style
    LBGE, Mechanicsville, Va., LBGE, Duck, NC, XLBGE Wake, Va.
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL  I lose connectivity when I go in the house and set down on my couch. It's probably 30-40 feet  If I stretch my arm out with my phone in my hand, I can get a connection. 

Yes, it does reconnect once you get back in range. However, all of the charted data will be missing when you are out of range. 
  • TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I have a Maverick Redi Chek it works great but wish it had two probes. And I have a blue thermapen, only problem with that is I have to keep taking the battery in and out. It won't turn off on its own so I remove the battery each time I use it.
    On Black Friday I ordered three thermo pops to give to my son in laws for Christmas
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• Big_Green_Craig
    Options
    TigerTony said:
    I have a Maverick Redi Chek it works great but wish it had two probes. And I have a blue thermapen, only problem with that is I have to keep taking the battery in and out. It won't turn off on its own so I remove the battery each time I use it. On Black Friday I ordered three thermo pops to give to my son in laws for Christmas
    The Thermapen should have a warranty. Call Thermoworks and get it replaced! 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    I have a 732 on which one probe quit working after about five uses.  After buying new probes, I determined something inside the unit isn't working anymore.  I'm not too happy with it.
    For low-und-slows I've gone back to my 15-year old Polder, I have to walk out to the grill to check temps but that's not a biggie.  I wish ThermoWorks would make an RF or Wifi-enabled thermometer/alarm; I'd pay the premium price that I did on my ThermoPen and be happy.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• yogi84
    yogi84 Posts: 189
    Options
    I used my heater-meter (3 food probes 1 PIT) that i built and it does it all.... WiFi ,CSV graphing,Remote alarms via SMS and email..... There is even an andoird app 
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    Maverick 732 and Thermopen here. And of course iPhone 4S (expecting my 6 in the mail this week) for taking pics and showing pics !!!!

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• nolan8v
    nolan8v Posts: 400
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Here are the one's I could gather up. I left the probes out of the picture.

There are a couple more that I can't locate at the moment.
    "You can live in any city in America, but New Orleans is the only city that lives in you."
    Chris Rose 

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    For outdoors, a Maverick 732 ... and a 733 coming in the mail ... the $55 Black Friday price with free shipping was too difficult to pass up. A Thermopen and a DigiQ.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    Thank you, @BigGreenCraig.  I don't think that was in the last catalog I got from them.
    I don't have an iOS device (I do have a Kindle Fire HD that I got free for signing up for intranetz service, is that Android?).  
    Hmm, that plus an iPod or iPad Mini gets a bit pricey, but....
    Hmm... 

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Mav ET-732
    Mav ET-733
    BBQ Guru PartyQ
    Green Thermapen
    Orange Thermapen
    2 x Timesticks
    Anova Precision Cooker
    GE Microwave :D
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,617
    Options
    I have a Taylor thermometer and a cool digital timer - I got a free iPhone when I bought the timer.
  • nealcr1
    nealcr1 Posts: 198
    Options
    DMW said:
    Mav ET-732
    Mav ET-733
    BBQ Guru PartyQ
    Green Thermapen
    Orange Thermapen
    2 x Timesticks
    Anova Precision Cooker
    GE Microwave :D

@DMW‌ are the $20 time sticks worth it? Don't like using my phone.
    Mini Max, Medium BGE, Large BGE, Lodge Cast Iron Sportsman, Digi Q II, Woo 2, AR with Oval setup
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    @nealcr1
    I know I'll be mocked, as several others have already. I think the timesticks are definitely worth it. 

There are many times I have several time related projects going on simultaneously.
    I'll set the timer and leave it right beside whatever it is timing. (dough proofing, sous vide cooking, etc) 

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options

nealcr1 said:

@DMW‌ are the $20 time sticks worth it? Don't like using my phone.
    Before DMW answers, let me say that yea, they are worth the $20.  My old West Bend units were screwing up, so I grabbed one when placing ordering the Chef Alarm.  The buttons are a little hard to push, but they don't reset the unit when it's in your pocket.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max